Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

what do you consider a wheel horse

dgjks6

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but my search skills are off today and I enjoy reading about and looking at the classics, but I have a question. Which tractors manufatured by toro are considered wheels horses by you guys and why.

I assume we all agree the 3's, 4's, and 5's made through 1996 are. As are the 300's though the classic gt's of 2007, but what about the xi's, the dxi's, and other models that started to come out in 1998 and on.

Greg

refracman

I have a 2003 417XT Toro Wheel Horse

While I do not consider it a "true" Wheel Horse it does have a lot of Wheel Horse attributes. It has proven itself to be a great worker and a LOT easier and more comfortable to use also.

Nick

Guess I would consider them all a Wheel Horse but maybe break them into Classic design and newer designs. That is up until the MTD mowers came out, no way a red MTD is a Wheel Horse. I did hear Toro has decided to continue the MTD contract. :hide:

Docwheelhorse

I don't mean to start trouble (But will... :hide: )--I would consider all of them Wheel Horses but two distinct models--- The D250 which was a complete cheater tractor.... theres nothing made or designed by Wheel Horse on it except the stickers..... :D and the New Cheapy McCheap Pants MTD series... :hide:

Tony---putting on his full kevlar suit and waiting for a herd of D250's to run me down.... :omg:

DMESS

3 dictionary results for: wheel horse

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

wheel horse 

willy victor

I would say anything with Toro's name on it is not a Wheel Horse.

Willy

rustbucket

well if it says wheel horse its a horse to me but i do know the differance from guarden machines to streight mowers seeing as i have 4 that say wheel horse and are mower only machines and the rest of my herd is guarden machines.

mowers are the B-82 B-112 and the 17-44 HXL and the 13-38 XL. and the two newest are not MTD made they where made by toro before toro sold to MTD the rights to the tractor line.

gd.pudge

Its ok my 16 year old daughter still call them all lawn mowers! But the dog does know better. he likes RED

T-Mo

and the two newest are not MTD made they where made by toro before toro sold to MTD the rights to the tractor line.

Let's get something straight here. Toro did NOT sell MTD the rights to the tractor line. That's misinformation. Toro CONTRACTED MTD to build their lawn tractor line. It's entirely different thing, though the result is the same. :hide: That statement above means MTD can do anything they want, but the truth is Toro owns the rights and has to okay each design.

And the statement made earlier that anything with the Toro name not being Wheel Horse is also inaccurate. From the late '80's to the last Classic rolled off the line, the 300/400 and 500 series had the same transmission, the same frame, the same sheet metal, the same hood, the same design as the older Wheel Horses. I may be a little bias here, but they're Wheel Horses in my book.

Sparky

And the statement made earlier that anything with the Toro name not being Wheel Horse is also inaccurate. From the late '80's to the last Classic rolled off the line, teh 300/400 and 500 series had the same transmission, the same frame, the same sheet metal, the same hood, the same design as the older Wheel Horses. I may be a little bias here, but they're Wheel Horses in my book.

I'm with you Terry :hide: . My "95" 416 has TORO and Wheel Horse on the hood decal but she's all horse.

Mike..........

willy victor

I don't want a Wheel Horse that says Toro on it, so there. :hide::D

Willy

T-Mo

I don't want a Wheel Horse that says Toro on it, so there. :D:hide:

Willy

Hmm, I guess I'll take them then. BTW, my '98 Toro Wheel Horse is every bit as much as a Wheel Horse as your Work Horse in your avatar. :omg: Maybe even more, at least it's red. :hide:

GlenPettit

They could be BLUE: Stop by a "New Holland" tractor dealership and look at their 16

T-Mo

MTD - Machine, Tool, and Die Works.

The New Holland garden tractors are pretty awesome.

SteveG_CT

MTD - Machine, Tool, and Die Works.

Actually I think it's Modern Tool and Die.

From MTD's website:

truck.jpg

dgjks6

Do they still make them in the same plant in South Bend?

Nick

Greg, You might want to find a copy of the book Straight from the Horses Mouth, The Wheel horse Story. Price is around $40 but a lot of information.

Ebay link to the book

Jim_M

mcwh1950

any thing that say wheel horse on it. mtd hq is about 7 mile from my house. may be i sure go take some picture of it for you mtd guy

T-Mo

any thing that say wheel horse on it. mtd hq is about 7 mile from my house. may be i sure go take some picture of it for you mtd guy

:D :hide:

nylyon

If it's made by Wheel Horse (owned by Pond, AMC or Toro) it's a Wheel Horse.

mcwh1950

:D:hide:

terry.. maybe i should of said any wheel horse that said wheel horse on it

the second part was that i ment that i would go to mtd headquarter and take picture by the track , that they test all of their crap at , and post it for all here to see.

my family call it ........ modern tool and died.....

Rod(NASNUT)

If you like to think it is a Wheel Horse then that is what it is who cares if it is red or gray :hide: can't we find something else to :D about. The same as the :hide: about Kohler and Tecumseh I have a Charger 9 with a Tecumseh and it works just a hard as the C- 105 wiht the Kohler. This is a place to come and get info on the tractors we love not to argue about this one is better then that one. Just my 2 cents.

dgjks6

This does lead me to another question. The work horse (or GT and LT's and wheel horse referred to them - with up to 18hp) were out at the same time as the B's and C's, but they have the sheetmetal of the 300, 400, 500 series. Where did they fit in the line up as far as cost when new and what is the difference between them and the 300's?

Greg

nylyon

This is a place to come and get info on the tractors we love not to argue about this one is better then that one.

I don't see this as arguing, but more playful banter. The subject is kinda interesting to me to see what others think.