ronstavesk

1987 Wheel Horse 312-8 drive belt

ronstavesk

Tractor takes a while for drive to engage, and then begins to move, slows down when going up a slope. There is a lot of slack in the drive belt (never been changed) or it could be clutch adjustment?

varosd

Welcome to RS!!:text-welcomeconfetti:
I would check to make sure the belt is the correct belt.
I always buy the real deal OEM belt. other folks swear by TSC, etc, but for my money its the original equipment and have  backup belts...just in case.
make sure the routing of the belt is correct.
has the belt guard been changed?  some years had belt tensioners.
pictures are the best..!:lol:

buckrancher

probably the belt but also check all set screws on transmission pulleys and wheel hubs

Brian

ronstavesk

Thank You for the response; I tried adjusting the idler pulley to where I thought it would increase the tension but seems like I took it the wrong way. I will try adjusting the other way. Yes it is the original drive belt on this one owner 28 year old Wheel Horse.

gwest_ca

The rod from the pedal goes back to a lever on another rod that goes across to the idler pulley lever. The lever on the left is secured to the rod by a roll pin. Make sure that pin has not sheared. The pedal will feel normal but the idler pulley does not end up getting any benefit from the spring on the left side that tensions the belt.

Garry

can whlvr

also see if your model has the shock absorber on the clutch,the newer models have them

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Yep. I vote for the shock absorber or tension spring (depending on the year it was made) being broken.

Jason Holt

Is there an alternate shock absorber for the belt tensioner from say a parts store. The Wheel Horse 312-8 part number on mine is 78-324. It's around 80 to 90.00. The tractor I bought it is actually cut and one one end is left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Holt