Lagersolut

snow blower questions

Lagersolut

I'm going over a recently purchased tall chute , right now I'm on the chain and idler sprockets I'd like to replace- took some measurements on the chain and I'm coming up with it being a # 40 chain ( is this correct ? ) and the idler sprockets are 18 tooth - looking for some advice on where to buy quality chain if the need arises and for now would any 18 tooth 1/2 bore idler for a 40 chain work ?

Toro wants 32+ for one idler .

Edited by Lagersolut

gwest_ca

Here is what we can get in Canada
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/17-teeth-17mm-bore-40-chain-idler-sprocket/A-p8069932e

Here are the bushings
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-2-in-x-17-mm-bushings/A-p8070674e
They come two to a package

They have a 6203-2RS bearing and you can get a pair of steel flanged bushings to reduce the ID to suit your needs.
I'm sure your tractor supply depots have them also.

This place also sells 10 foot lengths of chain which is more than enough to make 2 for the single-stage snowthrower.
I have paid big bucks for chain and this imported material lasts just as long.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca
  • Like 1

Lagersolut

Thanks Gary

Wyattrrp
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/44729-42-snow-blower-chain-length/

Here is a link to a past post and followup for a single stage blower chain question.  My low and tall chute blowers that fit any of my C-125, 314A and 312-8's 12-14 HP tractors (1981-1995) each used a #40 chain.  Tractor Supply Store sells 10 ft of #40 roller chain for $20.  It takes about 4 ft of chain to replace the drive chain.  This link describes it and how to cut the chain. I have used 51 female links and a master. Count your links on the old chain. 

The idlers can be from TSC too using a 17 tooth #40 sprocket they stock with the correct bolt hole size.  I think those were more money, about $20 each,  but well built. Other supply stores will ship them but they are heavy enough to add to the cost.

There are many posts on this site listing those sprockets. The 10 ft chain is enough to make 2 replacements so after a few years for $10 you can replace it when it stretches so the adjustment bolt won't tighten the chain enough.  Better to replace the chain than have one stretched and break under load then wrap around the shaft and stop the auger dead, doing damage to the shaft and housing. TSC also has the #40 master links cheap.

Many use the old chain as a front wheel tire chain.  Let air out of the tire, wrap the old chain around the tire down the center of tread front to back not sideways, and cut the chain so it will fit snug with the master link.  Then re-inflate tire and it will bite into the tread making a linear tire chain down the center of tread. This is recycling the chain you are going to throw out. The re-inflated tire will hold the chain in the center of tread and will make the tractor steer well on ice and packed snow. Again this site will have numerous discussions of making those front tire chains.

Good luck.
Wyatt
  • Like 2

cheesegrader

I don't know if you have Fleet+Farm that far east, 
but they have all of those parts.
About $20 for the #40 chain, $15 each for the sprockets.
Much heavier duty than the original parts.

WNYPCRepair

Mine also has 18 teeth, the only thing I have found locally is 17 tooth, but it seems that is what you guys are all using, so I assume it is a good replacement? 

WNYPCRepair

Mine also has 18 teeth, the only thing I have found locally is 17 tooth, but it seems that is what you guys are all using, so I assume it is a good replacement? 

To answer my own question, it seems to work just fine.