JPWH

Hanks 854 rebuild

slovinski

Looks like she had a great time, that tractor ain't yours anymore!!!  

• Like 2

JPWH

Waiting for motor rebuild kit and rain every day so I started to.work on some small parts. Cleaned the fuel pump and started cleaning the carburetor. Fuel pump was easy but the carburetor is going to take some work. Also put the starter/gen back together with new bearings, brushes and stud insulators.

KIMG0266.jpg

KIMG0262.jpg

KIMG0263.jpg

KIMG0290.jpgKIMG0285.jpg

KIMG0289.jpg

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 7

Aldon

I know what your going through. All fired up and waiting to work and held up. But the small mini projects help fill the gaps. It looks like new again!

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Like new. 

Glenn

• Like 1

JPWH

Got the brake cover blasted and painted and the drive belt cover. Also blasted the starter/gen brackets and painted. 

KIMG0294.jpg

KIMG0295.jpg

• Like 9

AMC RULES

Gorgeous :wh: already.    :bow-blue:

• Like 2

rjg854

That tractor sure has gone through a transformation from what you started with!  You're doing a great job resurrecting that 854 :bow-blue:

• Like 2

Bert
1 hour ago, Ranger13148 said:

That tractor sure has gone through a transformation from what you started with!  You're doing a great job resurrecting that 854 :bow-blue:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

JPWH

Thanks guys.

It has taken me 15 months but it is ready for the engine. When the engine rebuild kit gets here I'm ready to bring the little :wh: back to life. 

• Like 5

Aldon

They take a lot longer to do than I would have thought. Great work by the way. Looks great.

• Like 1

ACman

AWESOME job !  That thing is :kbutt: if you know I mean 

• Like 3

JPWH

I went to meet my new granddaughter and took the motor and new parts to my son to help me with assembly. Next thing I know he is cutting and grinding on my motor with tools I have never seen before . All I could do was watch.

I did think to take a picture of one tool. I thought this was funny because he has thousands of dollars wort of equipment to grind or sharpen about anything and he is using a hand crank valve cutter.

KIMG0301.jpgsorry it's blurry but he was turning a valve. Everything went well till the cam. The cam actuator springs were broke. Is this a common problem or am I just lucky to have an unusual issue? lol

The good news is we managed to locate and order new ones. The valves are installed as are the new piston and rings. I will complete the build when the parts arrive hopefully next week.

• Like 5

JPWH

The camshaft actuator springs I ordered were NLA. The vendor did call to apologize and gave me a refund. I'll post a request in wanted to begin my search

JPWH

I found the camshaft spring then discovered the camshaft moving parts had too much friction to work properly. I have another camshaft on the way.

I have cleaned and rebuilt  the carburetor .

The ignition switch was bad so I have another on order.

I am going to use a solenoid in lieu of the heavy duty ignition switch. 

While waiting for parts I decided to build an engine stand; actually just added on to the the press I had built.

All parts and the decals should be arriving next week.

KIMG0303.jpg

KIMG0305.jpg

• Like 4

rjg854

Looking good, keep at it, I'm sure you'll have it back together and running great. Always have snags to work out, but I'm certain you'll get through them.

• Like 1

JPWH
2 hours ago, Ranger13148 said:

Looking good, keep at it, I'm sure you'll have it back together and running great. Always have snags to work out, but I'm certain you'll get through them.

Thanks. I am learning more than I ever thought I would from this project. It has been a great experience and has presented many opportunities that I have never encountered before. 

• Like 2

Aldon

That looks great Hank!

• Like 2

rjg854

I just knew you'd get her back together and she looks great. Sorry to hear of all your woes, but that's just gotta make the final result all the sweeter. Truly nice job, hope you are now blessed with many years to enjoy the fruits of all your labor.

• Like 1

rjg854

And Btw we'd all appreciate a bunch more pictures :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

HANK, I am handing out a trophy to you, it was a great build adventure to follow along. Like mentioned above a few more pictures are needed. I wish I was there to shake your hand and say in person how nice. Maybe one day.

Glenn

• Like 1

JPWH

Thanks guys. Glenn I hope to meet you one day as well. Maybe the big show. I could not have done it without the help of RS .I don't mind the opportunities they are learning tools. I was able to reuse the carb, fuel pump, voltage regulator and the starter generator. I did use a solenoid i had along with a heavy duty new switch. All the wiring is new. I just discovered i have a leak at the input shaft so i will have to locate a machine shop or a new shaft. As requested  here is a few more pictures. 

IMG_20160515_184042316.jpgIMG_20160515_183900829.jpgIMG_20160515_183818590.jpgIMG_20160515_183624571.jpg

IMG_20160515_183743143.jpg

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 7

953 nut

:handgestures-thumbupright: Jay, that is a job well done, looking forward to seeing it in person next month.   :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

JPWH

Thanks Richard I'll see you at the big show.

Oldest grandson likes it too!

PART_1463332367392_20160515_123745.jpg

• Like 5

WHX??

The black paint sets it apart from others ...nice work on the stack too..:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1