JPWH

Hanks 854 rebuild

DennisThornton
11 hours ago, Hank01 said:

Dennis, are you referring to the small dent or the pollen?

I used rustoleum satin black on the steering wheel. 

A couple of shallow depressions in the curve on the right.  Will that Rustoleum hold up on the plastic?  Rustoleum makes a paint for plastic that I've used for PVC but I don't know if it's any different or if anything different needs to be used on your steering wheel...

Pollen/dust and small flaws can be removed after the paint cures.  I'd wait a couple months.  Back in the 80s I made some nib removers from metal files but you can buy them now:

Painters Nib Files Set Of Three

Our just slightly knock off the roughness with some ultrafine sandpaper so they ride over the surface without gouging but shear off any small flaws.  I really like to top right one.

• Like 3

JPWH
22 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

A couple of shallow depressions in the curve on the right.  Will that Rustoleum hold up on the plastic?  Rustoleum makes a paint for plastic that I've used for PVC but I don't know if it's any different or if anything different needs to be used on your steering wheel...

Pollen/dust and small flaws can be removed after the paint cures.  I'd wait a couple months.  Back in the 80s I made some nib removers from metal files but you can buy them now:

Painters Nib Files Set Of Three

Our just slightly knock off the roughness with some ultrafine sandpaper so they ride over the surface without gouging but shear off any small flaws.  I really like to top right one.

It's a small dent I did not see. The light has to hit it just right to see it. It's 52 years old and going to be a worker. Like me it is going to have a few battle scars.lol 

The paint is for plastic. I hope it holds up till I find a better steering wheel.I've only seen one for sale and the plastic was melted on it as well.

11 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I should get that stuff, for touch ups. Looks super....

Glenn

If you do I would use a small foam sponge to apply it. I used a foam brush and it came off the handle on the first tire. I used a 1/2 art brush to work it down in the treads. Make sure to wear some kind of vinyl or similar gloves.

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 4

DennisThornton

Your hood is fine and more than fine for what it is.  My job for 15 years was to find every little nit-picking flaw I could and I got very good at it!  It is very hard to produce flawless repairs and most folks can't get 15 years experience the first job...

My first office chair was green and I wanted a black one but didn't have the money right then for a new one so I painted it, metal, vinyl and all with ordinary enamel paint!  I had renewed and sprayed a few aging vinyl tops but I used special vinyl paint so even though I cleaned the chair I didn't expect the paint to hold up on the vinyl at all.  Years later some of the black wore through on the arms but it never did crack, peel or fade!  It remained a mystery to the paint reps too!

• Like 3

Aldon

Hank, darn nice job.

I too am not a body and paint guy.

My GT14 is going to be my primary worker so I'm trying to get the mechanicals to pass inspection but when I get to doing the body panels, it will not be impressive:-)

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3

JPWH

Dennis I totally understand. I have been doing electrical work for 35 years and part of my job is quality control. I keep having to remind myself that we are to provide the owner what they are paying for nothing more but I do expect to see top quality installations. 

Aldon I'm with you on that. I think I have a good 5/10 though.

5 feet without glasses and 10 feet if you have good vision.:laughing-rofl:

• Like 7

WHX??

Lookin good Hank...keep at it!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

prondzy

Nice job can't wait to see her finished!

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Looking good!

• Like 1

Terry M

Nice Job on the paint!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

ACman

Seeing how nice yours is turning out ,almost makes me want to paint my 702 . Awesome job by the way . I too am a stickler for perfection . Before my accident I was a HVAC installer and my jobs had to be clean. I didn't want my furnace or Ac to look like it was the second /third furnace going in with patched up sheet metal . I guess some of us are just wired that way .

• Like 4

Pullstart

Woo Hoo!  looks great!

• Like 1

Phil854

That is going to one SWEET ride!!!!

• Like 3

Terry M

Looking really Nice there Hank!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Aldon

Looking like a well shod steed!

• Like 1

WHX??

Looks like ya got a roller Hank!

• Like 2

rjg854

Looking very nice :happy-wavemulticolor:

• Like 2

JPWH

Got the motor cleaned and primed and the belt guard and brake guard blasted and primed. Need to do some work on the drive belt guard and prime it again before paint.

KIMG0251.jpg

Getting a little Sun.

KIMG0249.jpg

• Like 7

Retired Sparky
14 hours ago, JPWH said:

Got the motor cleaned and primed and the belt guard and brake guard blasted and primed. Need to do some work on the drive belt guard and prime it again before paint.

KIMG0251.jpg

Getting a little Sun.

KIMG0249.jpg

So, is the blue paint a special primer for engines???   I can learn something, even on a Sun.  B)

• Like 3

JPWH

It's not really blue. It's light gray. It's rustoleum high heat. It says up to 2000 degrees.

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looking good Hank!

• Like 1

WHX??

Was wondering the same thing about the primer. ...lookin up Hank:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JPWH

I have 10 3 lamp 2x4 T 8 fluorescent fixtures with parabolic lenses in a 16 x 32 workshop for lighting. Good work lights but not so good for pictures.