JPWH

Hanks 854 rebuild

JPWH

Glenn, your right about the love. I think it's therapeutic for me. I don't know about calendar material though.

My wife asked me last night if I could buy a new one for the money I have spent on this one. :eusa-think: I said no way they don't make them any more and furthermore do you have any idea what a psychiatrist would charge by the hour? Times that by the hundreds of hours I have in this little horse! :ROTF:

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
2 minutes ago, Hank01 said:

Glenn, your right about the love. I think it's therapeutic for me. I don't know about calendar material though.

My wife asked me last night if I could buy a new one for the money I have spent on this one. :eusa-think: I said no way they don't make them any more and furthermore do you have any idea what a psychiatrist would charge by the hour? Times that by the hundreds of hours I have in this little horse! :ROTF:

When you post the finished product, you will beam with pride. Money can't buy that. Or so my therapist says. Lol

Glenn

• Like 3

DennisThornton
On 1/26/2016 at 7:28 PM, Hank01 said:

Dennis, thanks for the info. Where can I find the feather fill. Will spot putty do the same thing?

Thanks for the info 953. I knew about applying a color and sanding then using the light and water but never heard of using two different colors. Great tips. Now to see if I can execute the process.

I knew this hood needed a lot of work but it may be more time consuming than I thought.(so what's new ?) Lol

Richard gave you a great tip for the priming stage.  Back to filler, though, polyester fillers are different with some intended for the last stages, thinner, easier to apply and sand with finer grits (less clogging).  Then there's that Feather Fill and I'm sure other brands, but it was the first.  Spot putty has it's uses but it has been abused and gathered a bad rap.  Never meant to replace Bondo type fillers and probably best used to fill in sand scratches instead of larger areas.  Thick primer that does not cure but rather dries and it will take longer than sprayed on primer so it appreciates some infra-red heat, especially with cooler temps.  I used infra-red panel lamps year round to speed things up!

Somethings are tough to teach, especially online, and somethings just take lots of experience.  I could feel flaws that most people couldn't see and often see flaws my help said weren't there!  Clean, dry and a bit dusty hands slowly run over a panel can detect very minor defects.  When you get to primed surfaces and wet sand you can use the glistening surface reflections to find most all flaws, which is a good thing because it's your last chance before paint!

I suggest you continue your therapeutic relaxation techniques methodically with no rush.  If you think you might have a flaw you most likely do and try to fix everything with each step without thinking the next step will fix it.  Try to hammer and dolly until it is perfect, thin coat of filler and sand until it is perfect and prime with different colors until you know it is perfect!  Old school really relied on metal working because there was no filler, only lead!  Once poly fillers came along those metal working skills declined and "Bondo" was abused.  I've seen panels that must have consumed an entire gallon of filler involved in an accident where 1" thick chunks fill out!  Shameful!

• Like 4

JPWH

Dennis, I will have to rely on the straight edge to see the imperfections. Then the primer in two colors then the water and light. I am not a paint and body guy but I plan to only use the body    filler extremely sparingly.  That said, I am going to do my best and use all the advice I can get to the best of my ability. The good thing is I  am not in a rush. I know what you mean about the heat. I have a patio heater that I use to first warm up the metal and material then to help it cure after it is applied.  

• Like 1

DennisThornton
6 hours ago, Hank01 said:

Dennis, I will have to rely on the straight edge to see the imperfections. Then the primer in two colors then the water and light. I am not a paint and body guy but I plan to only use the body    filler extremely sparingly.  That said, I am going to do my best and use all the advice I can get to the best of my ability. The good thing is I  am not in a rush. I know what you mean about the heat. I have a patio heater that I use to first warm up the metal and material then to help it cure after it is applied.  

You'll feel flaws, just not as good as you will after a few thousand hours!  Your hood's sheet metal looked decent so use all the filler you need to fill the dents.  A thin coat of a finish filler well beyond the remaining filler will give you a good "guide coat" and you could skip the "Feather Fill", though used sparingly it is a great product!  And yes, take your time, stop sanding the areas where you hit metal and notice the areas that the sand paper didn't touch.  Those are the areas should have had more filler!  Better filler than primer!  

And there's nothing wrong with using straight edges throughout the process!  One of my favorite sanding tools was a straight with no handle paint paddle with sandpaper wrapped around it tightly.  Sand using a proper pattern until both sides of the paper wear out and then rip it off to expose new.  Great straight edge with a bit of flex!

• Like 2

JPWH

Not much progress but a lot of filling, sanding and metal pecking on the hood.

I was looking back through my paperwork and trying to figure out just how many hours I did have in this project. Best I can figure it is about 180 hours. I also have built a media blast cabinet and acquired a plasma cutter, larger pulley puller, bearing puller and an e tank. Still need to buy a ring compressor, valve spring compressor, and valve lapping tools eventually. 

I ran across this picture that started this whole project.

I think I need to change my member name to NOREGRETS. LOL 

56b202a47d917_post-14549-0-01576900-1429

Another picture towing it to the work shop from the front yard.

56b20619aa43c_BannerPhoto.thumb.JPG.1daf

The Raider 12 will be next when I have the 854 in working order.

• Like 8

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hang in there Hank, slowly but surely. 

Gllenn

• Like 1

WheelHorse79

Here is a picture of the 854 I restored for some inspiration.  :)

854_5.JPG

• Like 8

rjg854

Best of luck on your rebuild Hank, I'm really looking forward to your final product.

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Hank01 said:

I think I need to change my member name to NOREGRETS.

:text-yeahthat:      Think of all of the skills and knowledge you have gained, the satisfaction of a job well done is priceless too.        :bow-blue:

• Like 2

JPWH

Thanks everyone. The weather is getting more favorable for painting so maybe I can start adding some color and doing some final assembly soon. I think I see a little light at the end of the tunnel I just hope there is not a train behind it.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Hank , I took a close look at your rear hitch on your Raider 12, did you build that? Is it hydraulic or electric. Would love to see more picture of the hitch. You are doing a great job on the 854. 

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
6 hours ago, WheelHorse79 said:

Here is a picture of the 854 I restored for some inspiration.  :)

854_5.JPG

extra inspiration 

Glenn

20140927_114709.jpg

• Like 6

JPWH
35 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Hank , I took a close look at your rear hitch on your Raider 12, did you build that? Is it hydraulic or electric. Would love to see more picture of the hitch. You are doing a great job on the 854. 

I did. It is hydraulic. Although a rough draft built from parts from other tractors. I was testing the hydraulic system with the box blade I built. I'll post more pictures if you like this weekend. Thanks for the kind comment.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

hey fellas. anyone that re did a 854. post a pic. we need to over inspire our buddy Hank.   look out for the 854 tidal wave Hank.....( i hope )

Glenn

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Please post pictures I think there would a lot of interest in the hydraulics that you built in . I know I would love to see anything and everything on the hydraulics .

Phil854

IMG_8777.thumb.JPG.0e29ac867abdaf5fc4ab7

• Like 5

JPWH

Very nice tractors. I have a new deadline to meet. I am shooting for the.middle of May to get a shot at a banner with this horse in new shiny clothes.

Thanks for the tips 953 but and Dennis. I had a chance to use them and made some good progress.

KIMG0141.thumb.jpg.41e0b727a1c3b0779ea5aKIMG0140.thumb.jpg.14d6e84d6a2a77670ce34

The two colors of primer and sanding tips sure show the high and low spots quick. I had to do some more metal shaping. Now to sand and apply filler then repeat until satisfied.:thanks::thanks:

• Like 9

WHX??

Let's get on the stick here Hank and get this going...don't want to have to send some mercenaries there to light a fire under your ....we'll you know. ..:ychain:

• Like 2

WHX??

Well..ok I apologize Hank...

Just went out to my own barn and there's a Suburban there eyeballing me angrily.... I think it knows my brothers here want progress pics....:unsure:

• Like 4

JPWH
On 2/10/2016 at 7:39 PM, WHX6 said:

Well..ok I apologize Hank...

Just went out to my own barn and there's a Suburban there eyeballing me angrily.... I think it knows my brothers here want progress pics....:unsure:

No apology necessary. I need a fire under my butt the one I have is too small for the temps we are having. 

I commute 53 miles one way to the office and some jobs are 120+ miles from home.

Some days I only have an hour or so to work and it takes longer than that to get the shop warm enough for me to get my hands out of my pockets.lol

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 4

JPWH

I took advantage of the warm weather and did a little painting this weekend. I blasted the tool box and fenders and primed them. And I also got a few tins, transmission and frame painted. After they cure a few days I will start final assembly.

KIMG0165.thumb.jpg.c683e3fc71ea31f0b56feKIMG0166.thumb.jpg.fd4fc935a6892e69ab654KIMG0167.thumb.jpg.11025ac688bb15c77a774 

• Like 9

JPWH

I got the transmission and frame bolted together and up on stands this afternoon. I put gear oil in the transmission and started assembly and decided to let it sit a day to make sure there is no leaks.

KIMG0171.thumb.jpg.eaf16ec6ca86e1484c9ba

• Like 8

rjg854

I'm kinda partial to that black with the red! I'll keep an eye on this reassembly. :icecream:

• Like 2