JPWH

Hanks 854 rebuild

AMC RULES
I see no junk there...
just a labor of :wh: love.  
:handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 5

953 nut
:text-yeahthat:  My wife learned a long time ago that the best way to avoid dismay is to not go into my shop. 
  • Like 6

Aldon

yeah. common reaction from not only the wife but most people with no vision. My GT14 looks pretty similar at the moment. Although I have about 25% blasted and primed. 

But we know what it will look like when finished and the value of restoring the history.

Great job getting it to this point!

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3

MikesRJ

Get 'er done! :) Hope you have a good sand blasting cabinet. I know it'll look great when completed, and you'll be a happy camper.

Edited by MikesRJ
  • Like 3

JPWH

Hopefully the blast cabinet will be finished next weekend.

:text-yeahthat:

My wife learned a long time ago that the best way to avoid dismay is to not go into my shop. 

You are a brave man. I learned a long time ago to say yes dear. I love  you. Then just continue with task at hand.

• Like 3

JPWH

I had a surprise visit this weekend. My wife set up a surprise birthday party for me. After telling me my little horse looked like a pile of junk she got my son to come over. About a  3 hr ride. He helped me tear down the motor and did the machine work for me. Good news is He said all it needs is rings and a gasket set. But I'm ordering a new piston and new bearings as well. Hope I'm as fortunate with the transmission.

• Like 4

Coadster32

Great start...you're well on your way. :handgestures-thumbupright:

JPWH

Anybody have an easy way to remove the broken shifter bolt shown in the transmission picture above. I'm thinking drill, easy out and heat applied to housing. What have you found to be easiest.

ol550

Anybody have an easy way to remove the broken shifter bolt shown in the transmission picture above. I'm thinking drill, easy out and heat applied to housing. What have you found to be easiest.

Easiest way for me has been to weld a washer to the broken part and weld a nut to the washer.  Let it cool and back it out.

• Like 3

JPWH

Good idea thanks

JPWH

I finally got the transmission  apart. What a mess. It appears I will need to find alot of parts. I'll get it cleaned up and see what it really looks like. Can anyone tell what transmission this is.  NCM_0087.thumb.JPG.2a48bd30afffbccd2c12dNCM_0086.thumb.JPG.e3674e5d078d9d01582a8NCM_0088.thumb.JPG.3dc9ce2f457147eafd7bd

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 2

Racinbob

854's used a 5025 transmission. Section 2 in the manual covers it.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

You might consider blasting everything in that transmission with walnut shells (or fine glass bead) gears, shafts and all. Once its clean those gears may not be to bad, and the shafts might polish up with very fine emery cloth. 

PS. You mention your blast cabinet is also finished! If you built your own, please share pictures.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

JPWH

854's used a 5025 transmission. Section 2 in the manual covers it.

Thanks. I downloaded and printed it Today.

JPWH

You might consider blasting everything in that transmission with walnut shells (or fine glass bead) gears, shafts and all. Once its clean those gears may not be to bad, and the shafts might polish up with very fine emery cloth. 

PS. You mention your blast cabinet is also finished! If you built your own, please share pictures.

Thanks for the blasting tip. I did not get to work on the blasting cabinet last week. Work got in the way. Was going to take a day off but too many wheels fell off. lol. I am building it myself. Right now its just a stack of metal panels but I will post progress pictures as it develops.

• Like 1

Ken B

Wow that tranny must have been chock full o water....

JPWH

Sometime in its past but it was dry when I pulled the plug and put diesel in to the top a few weeks ago and it still took me about 3 hrs to wedge it apart after removing the hitch pin.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Surprising that...  :blink:
it's pin even came out.  
  • Like 1

slammer302

I always feel like doing a victory dance when I get a hitch pin out! Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

JPWH

I got some more tore down today. It looks like I will need some gears
some are in pretty bad shape. I thought I would let you experts take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks for looking. NCM_0098.thumb.JPG.e55aed811766279d5f6f0NCM_0099.thumb.JPG.7d75f6767f6e3fa074208

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I also built a blast cabinet (search for "Blast Cabinet Build" here on red square (sorry I haven't figured out how to copy and paste links) The blast gun and suction metering device I ordered work excellent.
Overall I'm happy with it. However there are two things I would change/improve.
1. The blast media hangs in the hopper corners, so my slope isn't steep enough. I would use a 60 deg slope if I did it again.
2. I have mixed results with the Harbor Freight dust collector. It does a very good job sucking dust out of the cabinet. However some days it seals good, and some days the collector exhaust filter leaks and exhaust dust into my shop.  

• Like 1

JPWH

Your post gave me the inspiration to build one. I have been collecting metal for a couple of months now. Same metal I built my scrape blade sides from. Its old switchgear enclosures I pick up from jobs.

• Like 1

stevebo

IMO I would not consider rebuilding that rear end. Find a good used one for short money and call it done. 

• Like 3

Jake Kuhn

Looks like your off to a good start, I also agree that that trans is probably not worth fixing. You can always blast the gears and it will probably work just fine, but probably make some noise. If you do decide you want to get a different trans I have a rebuilt one for sale in the classifieds.

• Like 1