Jrblanke

Eaton 1100 Oil Change

Jrblanke

Hey guys,
Tomorrow I am going over to a friends place to help him with his new wheel horse. He has a 314H with the Eaton 1100. We are planning to change the oil in the trans and put on a new WH trans filter. Having not changed the trans oil in an Eaton 1100 before, just wondered if there were any tips? I vaguely remember someone mentioning that a bolt can be loosened in the case to increase the speed that the old oil drains out?

• Like 2

rmaynard

I removed the plug in the bottom, and removed one of the two bolts that hold the fender pan/fuel tank bracket to the top of the transaxle.

• Like 3

pacer

Probably not so much draining as filling - removing the dip stick should facilitate getting air for draining, but filling can be a pain. Bobs method of removing one of those bolts works great, but if for some reason its difficult to get to then scrounge around and find a small piece of tubing 10-12" long and feed it down the fill tube and put your funnel in to hold it in place. This allows air to get into the case and allows the fluid to flow with out 'burping' constantly.

• Like 2

squonk

If you take out a top bolt and fill to much, oil will run out of the hole and make a mess. If you haven't gotten the filter yet, get a Napa 1410. A better filter and usually cheaper than Toro

• Like 4

gsummers

If you take out one of the bolts on top, make sure you clean around it Very Good, you don`t want ANY dirt getting in the hydro!!!!!!

Edited by gsummers
  • Like 3

shallowwatersailor

Instead of the bolt, I like to keep the new filter loose/cracked open. It will help speed the fill until it reaches that point. I also always pre-fill the filter before installing it to help as well. Second, on the Napa 1410.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 4

Jrblanke

Guys,
Thank you very much for the help!! 

-James 

bds1984

How much oil will the transmission take to refill it?  I am going to be changing the transmission oil in my 520 this weekend and I want to be sure I have enough.  I have three quarts of Napa 10W30 synthetic on hand. 

cleat

Trans holds approx 5 quarts according to manual.

Filter is on the return side so you can prefill it if you want but it should make little difference.

I made up a little fitting that goes in place of one of the top bolts then has a little tube that sticks up a few inches to let air out but keep spillage to a minimum.

When replacing this bolt I put just a little sealant on the threads.

• Like 1

SAM58

Are you sure it is the Eaton 1100? I was thinking the 314H has the Eaton 700...

WIX 51410 is a very good replacement for the toro filter.

5 qts 10-W30.

WHX??

3rd on the 1410 filter...is the same as the Wix (Wix makes NAPA's filters) I used 5w-30 Syn for those -10 deg. starts.... worked well this morning for blowing snow. I forgot about leaving the filter/bolt loose to burp ...oh well had time for an extra beer while watching oil disappear....

can whlvr

314 -h will be an 1100,if it is anything like the 312-h,a 312-a is a 700,if it has hydro lift it will be an1100,manual is a 700