Woodsie

520H / Harbor Freight

Kurt-NEPA
46 minutes ago, Red-Bovine said:

It seems to be doing just fine. We use the unit mainly for lawn sweeping, spreading, spraying, and snow blowing since we purchased a Ferris IS2100Z Zero Turn for mowing a couple years ago. The kit we got with the Honda motor from Repower made the conversion very easy. Just the clutch bracket needed a simple extension welded on to bolt it to the motor.

Red

Good news Red.  Thanks for the update.  I waiting for one more issue with my Onan before I pull the plug on it.  All this input helps.

Red-Bovine

As much as I like the Honda, I also really liked the Onan. I just got tired of the valve seats puking out. If you can keep the Onan running properly, that may be the best option.

Red

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
2 hours ago, Red-Bovine said:

As much as I like the Honda, I also really liked the Onan. I just got tired of the valve seats puking out. If you can keep the Onan running properly, that may be the best option.

Red

My sentiments exactly Red.  I love my Onans, but this one has 1200hrs on it and its starting to show it.  If that rear seat pukes out, I may try a repair.  Nothing to loose.  But my machining skill may not be up to it.  And I can't find a local shop that would handle it.   Anyway, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

For what its worth, I retired an Onan 2 years ago for badly worn valve seats, not loose valve seats.  That thing was still mowing with 2600 hrs. on it - and the hour meter hadn't worked in years.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
On 2/20/2017 at 10:50 AM, Aldon said:

I'm going to resurrect this thread. 

Anyon who has installed a HF22 HP, what is your experience with fuel consumption. Can it be compared ballpark with any of the Kohlers?

trying to decide if I can go with a smaller fuel tank than stock on my project without too much negative impact.

I installed a 14HP Predator from Harbor and it gets things done . I used to burn 2 gallons of fuel cutting my lawn and now just burn one gallon. maybe that is the way it is with twins vs singles. I would also recommend that you do not buy the warranty right away, but wait from 60 to 90 days. your motor is warranted for 90 days anyway and I look at that as a proving period. Then buy the extended warranty.

There is absolutely no hassle returning an engine. They do not send it back and evaluate why it failed, but just give you another one off the floor. My electric starter failed right away on the 14 HP, but it started so easily by hand that i just ran it until a few days before the warranty expired. They replaced it right away and sold me another warranty for 50 bucks for two more years. So if you buy just one you can rent them afterwards for 25 bucks a year when they leak a bit of oil or they do not start because of a dirty carb, for all I know.....

Certain things i will not buy at Harbor Freight. If it is electric and says Drillmaster on the plate, leave it in the store. Chicago electric is fine for a bit more money. There are threads all over the web saying what to buy and not buy at HFT. This tool box is prabably my best buy so far, and they have been on sale for 339.00 lately http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

• Like 2

littleredrider

I had a couple repowers with HF motors, and both worked superb. One was a 13 horse in a lawn ranger, that thing didn't slow down for anything. The belts would smoke before the motor lugged. I picked up a 520-8 win a good running Onan, but if that goes I won't hesitate one bit bout running the HF motor. Wish I had a bigger screen so I could see the pics better!!!!! 

• Like 1

Pulling Mower Builder

If you use that everyday your gonna blow it up or have another engine failure because predators are cheap i would just invest in a old briggs or kohler flat twin  or  maybe even an onan if you find one that isnt too terribly junk

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, Pulling Mower Builder said:

predators are cheap

I agree, Predator Engines are less expensive than other name brand engines of similar HP.

I assume you meant Predators are inferior in quality when compared to these other name brand engines. 

Do you consider all the Predator engines to be a poor investment, or are  there  particular models that you have experienced quality problems? 

I have no personal experience with these engines, but have read many reports that give them very good ratings.

• Like 2

littleredrider

I wouldn't go that far as to say they won't last. I don't remember how long I had mine, but 3-5 years guessing, and never had any trouble with it. I used it too, not just sitting there looking cool. I mowed with it, snow blowed with it, and never did it even hiccup. All while running wide f'n open. Mine had a stack and an open element filter, and tho I jetted it, it was close but I think it was little lean on lower end, it still ran great and had a ton of power. I had an 8-speed in it as well, and different pulleys so it would go faster. The biggest disadvantage was the tractor wasn't heavy enough. It would either start to spin or pull a wheelie. Starting to miss it.....

• Like 2

ACman

@littleredrider I to wouldn't hesitate dropping in a HF engine in anything either , especially with their warranty ... :) By the way cool Malibu :thumbs2:  grew up riding around in a 78 station wagon , love to see some pics sometime....I know  :offtopic: ... :text-imsorry:  But dad bought it brand new and by 1988 it was a total sleeper . Me and my friends loved cruising the strip just wait for a 5.0 Mustang at a stoplight :auto-swerve: !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3