squonk

Skonk Upgrades

ClassicTractorProfessor

Thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought of that. I'm not where I can look at my tractor right now as it is super dark out there (still haven't finished running the electricity to the shed yet). I know the steering wheel attaches with a roll pin but does the shaft attach to the gear below with a roll pin as well, if so it may be easiest just to make a whole new shaft rather than add to the existing one, provided the roll pins cooperate as we all know how much of a pain they can be.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

does the shaft attach to the gear below with a roll pin as well,

Yes. that pin should be covered with a bunch of grease presuming it has had proper lubrication over the years; pop right out!  The shaft collars that position the steering shaft are also standard hardware items, see people on :techie-ebay: offering them for $ 10.00; should be about a buck or less at the hardware store.

• Like 1

Jerry77
On 9/30/2015 at 5:56 PM, squonk said:

:)  :)   :)     :):)   :):):)

Mr. Morse would be proud.......................;)

squonk

The roll pin on the wheel would not budge. I have one of the best industrial air hammers and punches on it even. I ended up getting the wheel off with a small Harbor freight bearing separator backing up the wheel, A larger heavy duty separator backing up the HF one. A very large 2 jaw gear puller grabbing the large separator and a 24" crescent wrench turning the screw on the puller. I had to shear the roll pin to get the wheel off. It bent the bolts on the small separator but those can be replaced. Once the wheel was off the shaft came out easy and I got the pin remnants out with the shaft in the vise. I wish I had taken pics of the process.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Yes. that pin should be covered with a bunch of grease presuming it has had proper lubrication over the years; pop right out!  The shaft collars that position the steering shaft are also standard hardware items, see people on :techie-ebay: offering them for $ 10.00; should be about a buck or less at the hardware store.

Awesome thank you, might have to get started in that this weekend

• Like 1

953 nut
On 1/14/2017 at 7:42 AM, squonk said:

small Harbor freight bearing separator backing up the wheel, A larger heavy duty separator backing up the HF one. A very large 2 jaw gear puller grabbing the large separator and a 24" crescent wrench turning the screw on the puller.

Now that is dedication to duty!  Just one of those Kodak Moments  that has passed us by.  :text-imsorry:   there are no :text-coolphotos:.

• Like 1

obone

Glad you got the wheel off. I will have to remember that trick when I go to replace a steering wheel in the future. I tried drilling mine out, but broke off the drill bit inside. I ended up just splitting the steering wheel and putting on a new one. I used a spring pin to put the new one back on. I figured it would be easier to take off then a roll pin.

Texas Todd
On 1/14/2017 at 6:42 AM, squonk said:

The roll pin on the wheel would not budge. I have one of the best industrial air hammers and punches on it even. I ended up getting the wheel off with a small Harbor freight bearing separator backing up the wheel, A larger heavy duty separator backing up the HF one. A very large 2 jaw gear puller grabbing the large separator and a 24" crescent wrench turning the screw on the puller. I had to shear the roll pin to get the wheel off. It bent the bolts on the small separator but those can be replaced. Once the wheel was off the shaft came out easy and I got the pin remnants out with the shaft in the vise. I wish I had taken pics of the process.

Boy if that written description doesn't beg for a video, I don't know what does!