scotty

417 wont start

scotty

i just got a 417a and it wont turn over what should i start with?

squonk

If it won't crank I'd start at the battery.

• Like 1

scotty

I just tried jump starting no go

wallfish

Safety switches? Key switch? Solenoid?
If you use your jump cables directly on the solenoid and it cranks, that rules out the solenoid and starter. You can jump the safety switches with a paperclip or piece of wire and do them one at a time with a test start in between each to isolate which switch has an issue if there is one.

• Like 2

scotty

I jumped the solenoid and the motor started. So could it be the key switch?

slammer302

i would think it is one of the safety switches probably the one on the pto rather than the key switch try juggling the handles and pushing the clutch pedal then try stating it and see what happens. if nothing happens then look at the key switch

scotty

Must be the key switch anyone got a cheap source for one?

slammer302

I bought my last one at O'Rieliys auto parts store. I'm pretty sure i missed spelled it for you though

scotty

Tried a new key switch and it started popping fuses. Now what? Put the old one back in and jumped it off the solenoid and it started.

boovuc

Wrong switch, Scotty! There are a lot of different switches out there and it is very easy to get the wrong one. Especially at a box store.
Again, don't count out a safety switch and as what was stated, the PTO switch. Look for a bare wire also on the harness from the safety switches.
I would go to our classified section and in the wanted forum, ask for a switch that will fit the 417. I'm thinking the switch in your C175, (that I want), may also work and would be a good test to see if the ignition switch is actually bad. Pull it and compare the model number and the letters on the tabs and see if my hunch is correct. They both have a KT engine. Again.don't hold me to them being the same! :D

pfrederi

Back Probe the S terminal on your igniton switch turn it to start and see if it gives you 12volts.  If it does it is doing it job and like boovuc says it is probably one of your interlock/safety switches.

scotty

Well i havent looked at the one i have but i have ordered the correct keyswitch off amazon matching the part number. Hoping it works. Would jumping it from the solenoid turn it on if the safety switches dont work? Im appreciating all the help. Ill have to try testing the new keyswitch if it doesnt fix it

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

953 nut
When you say you jump the solenoid do you mean that you are applying 12 volts to the terminal that goes to the ignition switch "S" terminal? If this is what you have done then it could be the safety switches or ignition switch. If you are jumping from the battery terminal to the starter terminal (big wires) then the only component you have ruled out is the starter.

scotty

I used a jump wire and jumped it on the 12 volt on the solenoid to the starter post on the soleinoid.

gwest_ca

There are only 3 switches involved in the starter circuit
Ignition switch to the
Pto switch to the
Transmission neutral switch to the Solenoid.

Here is a wiring diagram you can view or Download
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/5166-tractor-1986-417-series-wiring-onlypdf/

Garry

scotty

The new key switch fixed it. Thanks for the help.