Sign in to follow this  
jerrell

The Economy

jerrell

I don't want to start a mess here but what in the &%% is going on , are we going to be able to pull out of this mess...I know that a lot of people have been devastated with the economy . Every news cast i see are depicting a sorry Christmas season and i have to admit that i'm sitting a little shorter in my seat because my wallet is flatter. prices going up and money getting tighter.

Looks like the horses are going to get a work out this spring. bigger gardens. i plan to enlarge my garden by half and put my son to work. he sold over 400.00 to the local Veggie Stand this past year.

I listen to the news about plant closings,5.000.000 out of work, banks failing, and wonder how some families are going to pull through this mess. This is the worse i have ever seen in my lifetime..

How is the economy in your sections of the country?

Teddy da Bear

I believe our area is doing fair.

My wife's work relies on the military primarily.

The problem is very complicated and I cannot

give you the reasons because they would be

political in nature.

You can also attribute that jobs that would normally

be more available here have been shipped overseas

and certain illegal elements have taken over many

other jobs here.

Curmudgeon

My area is in the dumpers, has been since long before it made the national news.

My current job is less than secure, as well as less that being a true livable wage. If it disappears, I'll have a few months of survival, after that, I'd have to seriously consider a move to a different part of the country, though even that has new complications. Not to mention with the country overall falling on hard times, moving might still leave me jobless.

As for the rest, well, ditto on what Mike ended with. LOL

Brrly1

Well I guess I have also now fallen to a victim of unemployment. Life is really going to SUCK Now for sure!!! Who knows maybe having a fire sale soon!!

NOT GOOD Burly

Teddy da Bear

Burly..... I am so sorry.

I would like for you to come and check out the Mishawaka/South Bend/Elkhart Indiana area. Construction is going big time here. Lots of concrete work both private and for the state.

Dale...you should look into this area too. Lots of truck driving jobs.

jerrell

i don't know if this will help anyone out there but if anyone knows or has any expierence in the natural gas field, hauling, drilling, or what ever there are a lot of openings around here.

about 2 years ago they found the largest natural gas deposit in the US in the Fayetville Shale Deposit. runs from the NW corner of AR down thru the state to the SE corner. that has helped the usually depressed area, but now it is booming.

I live on a fixed income, retired and my pay is gonna stay the same and has for the past years, the only thing is the *&)) prices keep going up..

CasualObserver

John... that sucks man. Hopefully you're in good standing and have enough seniority at the Local that this will be short lived.

on the lighter side

Unemployment.jpg

Pacific Dog

Well I was laid off from my IT job at BEHR Paint two weeks ago. People aren't buying/selling houses so they aren't doing any painting. The company had its first round of layoffs in its history and after six years I was one of the "chosen". There were a handful released from my department and there was only one person with less time than me.

Living in southern California I can tell you first hand about the "false" economy built up on hyper inflated housing prices. My opinion is that human greed drove it up and it is adjusting. I am conservative fiscally so my family will get by. But there are people all over this nation that are really hurting.

So say some prayers for those in need, pray that our leaders get their heads out of their a**es and everyone be positive.

This is a great country because of ALL the great PEOPLE that live here. It is very easy to point your finger at the "other guys". It is always hard to remember that no matter how the "other guys" think we are all here because we love the United States of America.

My two cents.

Teddy da Bear

:hide: Pacific....

Are there many wheel horses in southern California?

KyBlue

Well after six months of putting it off, I am now one of the ones on the bubble of wether or not we'll have runs.. I have some thru thanksgiving but who knows after that... Just keeps sliding down hill..

Brian1045

My plant is closing as well. Dad retired from there after 36 years. My mom retired from there after 30 yrs.

I will have 21 years senority by the time it closes. We were 3,200 strong back in 1993-2000. Now we are a mere 700.

It's been a good ride, but I'm over it. I'll miss the money but that place has always had me feeling like I was living in a prison that let me go home to sleep, and that the awesome money that we make there was just a trap to keep you there. I only have to work 9 days the rest of the year, but heck unemployment is $400 a week....I'll stay home for that. Of course I'll get a fat severence check, schooling etc. Just show me the door.

glenn27

It's tight everywhere...usually I read the classifieds every Sunday (have for many years --just to keep the options open)

Used to be 10-12 pages...now three, if that many. Local retailer Circuit City--going down the tubes, along w/ cutback s @ Altria headquarters here (owner of Phillip Morris)....building, especially residential has slowed way down. I asked some friends a year ago-- "Why are they still building office complex's--when ones already sitting here are empty/for lease"??

Money was easy to get back then--everybody wanted to have a building....wanted to be a big operator..... :imstupid:

Caaugt up w/ us, now, IMHO--in a big way....

Luckily I still have a job, and a couple part-time gigs I do, but w/ new owners from out of state--I really despise going to work anymore... :hide:

Curmudgeon

, but heck unemployment is $400 a week....

:hide: That's more than I make working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hide:

I know what you mean about a prison that let's you go home to sleep, that was my last job, only it didn't have all that great a pay either...... :D

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

illinilefttackle

Guys-Nothern Indiana has been the RV capital of the world for a very long time. When Fuel prices went Sky High , the age of big chassis and large, heavy towables was over. In my job I talk to people all over Michigan, Indiana, every day. Many families , Husb, and Wife both worked in the RV industry. Now they have lost their jobs and many RV factories has closed their doors forever. Not long after the big Factories closed-all of the smaller supplier plants went under. Then because of these 1000's of worker's being out of work, Resturants, movie theaters, dept. stores, appliance stores ,etc. went under. School Free lunch programs were inundated with requests, charities could not keep up with requests for food and warm clothing for children.

In michigan, Whirlpool anounced a great number of layoffs. Many jobs had been shipped over seas or to mexico. Not to mention the Auto Industry.

Then when the economy tanked, financial firms and industries started laying off. Supposedly White collar workers were losing their jobs. Tech firms went under.

I've been around for quite a few years, my parents experienced the "Great Depression" first hand, and told me stories of the soup lines, etc.

The difference in that Depression and the one we are sliding into was the Scope of it. This is World Wide. In the 1930's we had our own energy reserves, we grew all of our own food, and we had a hungry world ready for our products. We could work our way out of it. Not this time. We have a congress that is spending money that we don't have,Billions, and our country is in debt, big time, to several other countries of the world.

Enough of the plight of the worker-My retirement ,401k, etc has shrunken by 40% since the market tanked. Many other retired people are devasted.

This one-will be the worst one ever. I pray to God that we can make it as a country and as free people,God fearing and Gun toting. -AL

Brrly1

Well That was about the shortest layoff I have ever had!!! Let me see that's about a 48hr layoff! I guess I can't complain about that!! I am now back amongst the working people once again!! Burly :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

HorseFixer

Well That was about the shortest layoff I have ever had!!! Let me see that's about a 48hr layoff! I guess I can't complain about that!! I am now back amongst the working people once again!! Burly :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Thats great news John! :banana: well kinda :hide: maybe I wont get any pics now :hide: The main thing is you are working! :D

As far as my job goes all is good I am an at will employee for Berrien County. I have many hats the main one is Jail Maintenance supervisor for Berrien County Sheriffs dept for the past 18 years. The second is Mechanical Systems manager for all the buildings in Berrien County. We have about 35 people in the maintenace dept that I supervise. I have 4 at the Jail that work for me.

The thing is crime has not went down and keeps on increasing. I am responsible for everything from A-Z HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Security Equip, Kitchen, Laundry, Everything in Building And Grounds that goes on in or outside the building that houses 450 inmates daily. We are so overcrowded its not even funny, we ship our overage to other facilities like Cass County and Van Buren and others. I have 5 years 11 months and 12 days before retirement but who's counting! :omg:

bowtieguy

Hang in there guys....tough road ahead tho....after spending most of my working career with ONE company, I found out what "Downsizing" was all about at age 55...not knowing that it could happen again....yep, caught again TWICE before I turned 62....and it ain't no fun looking for a job when you are 61...naw, no such thing as age discrimination....bet me Buckwheat.

So I say hang in there because you will survive just as I have....not going on any long trips, not going to buy anymore new vehicles, no new clothes...just learn to survive....thanks to a hidden clause in the Ghattt Agreement with Mexico, companies that did business with Mexico under that agreement could withhold up to 40% off your retirement funds (company funded pension plan)...and I'm here to tell ya that just what they did....some people are in jail for less crimes than those committed by CORPORATE USA....don't get me started cause GE is first on my list.

But no matter how bad things are, how corrupt our goverment is getting, this is still the BEST country in the whole wide world..... :hide:

PS. now where did I put my "mad money"....need just ONE more Wheel Horse!!!!

Buzz

I work for a small Municipal Electric Utility that is expanding so my job is reasonably safe. We have alway had people who didn't pay there bills and have been disconnected but we are seeing a better class of people who can't afford to pay. They are usually in the new developments where homes start off around $300,000.

My daughter works in a junkyard, I mean recycling center, and her hours have been cut from 60 hours per week to only 40. That's a 33% pay cut. Price of scrap metal is dropping because nobodys manufacturing anything so nothings been shipped out.

This week I got my first Social Security check. I turn 66 in two weeks so I get the full amount plus can continue to work with no penalty :hide: . I was thinking about retiring next year next year but will probably go for another couple of years. Truthfully I like my job and most days could do it even if I was legally dead... :D

Butch

illinilefttackle Indiana has gotta be the capitol of more than RVs. My first

17 years of life I lived in a trailer made in Indiana. My first year of marriage

we lived in a trailer, made in Indiana. Every school bus I rode on was made

in Indiana, Elkhardt I think. Our Class C motor home we once had was

made in Indiana.

HorseFixer

This week I got my first Social Security check. I turn 66 in two weeks so I get the full amount plus can continue to work with no penalty :hide:

Buzz congradulations on getting that rocking chair money! :hide: Ill keep working for a few more so's I can contribute to ya! :D

Nick

We live near the Airstream travel trailer factory in Ohio. A friend that works there is on a 4 or 5 week layoff right now but so far they do have a callback date.

Congratulations Buzz. :hide: Maybe Dad and I will see ya at the show next year so you two can complain about social security. :D

Teddy da Bear

My brother in law (and a lot of my wife's Amish family) work at Newmar in Nappanee Indiana. He is working a minimum amount (like 20) of hours per week.

The trailer industry as a whole saw this gas/economy crisis coming and continued to live in denial. They still continued to build monstrosities even though there were fewer and fewer customers every year.

Even with the massive lay-offs....Newmar is still building units that few want or few can afford. It's like they are brain dead. I once suggested to management of Newmar (at a company picnic) to build small luxury trailers like they did years ago. They totally blew me off. I am not sorry for them.... just the workers that blindly followed them.

bowtieguy

Hey Buzz...don't check out yet....you will be getting a 5.8% pay raise next year...now tell me how many times you got a 5% raise from corporate USA???

Congrats on your first check....they come every month...is that the same as "spreading the wealth around"?

You guys keep working and paying in SS so Buzz's check don't bounce!!

Curmudgeon

The major employers in my state still think big SUV's, gas guzzling pickups and land yachts are where the profits are.

And guess what? Now they want the government to bail them out. They don't understand why profits are down.

DUH!!! :hide::D:hide::omg:

But the CEO's who made these absolute genius decisions are getting paid millions and millions and millions. And expect huge bonuses to boot. Even if they do have to come from your tax dollar.

Oh, and how about the money and fringes our government pays itself? Michigan has about the worst economy in the nation, has had for a long time. Guess what? Only New York and California pays it's governor, etc. more!!!!!

Butch

The Big 3 can't give up on their pickup trucks. They are big sellers. They

just better keep improving them because Toyota and Nissan are moving

in. Pickups will always sell and be needed. They're just going through

some tough times right now. I will always own one.

The Big 3 CEO's flew to DC on their corporate jets. Each of the 3

flights cost $20,000. It pissed some members of Congress off. None

of them were willing to give up their jets to help save the company

money if the government were to bail them out. None of the 3 CEO's

liked that one member of Congress said all 3 should be limited to a

total of package of a 1 million dollar salary package during the bailout.

The Ford CEO last year made 22 million and the GM CEO made 20 million.

No bonuses. No golden parachutes. This would also include other well paid

officers.