kudzu3

OOHHH...Tecumseh

kudzu3

I've had my first Tecumseh for a few weeks now and am already sorry that I ever saw it:wacko:. Nice original, '70 raider 10. I posted the original problems here, paid $83.00 for new carb, put it on with some modifications, but seemed to work okay. Cruised around the neighborhood some yesterday and all seemed to be well except for a little up and down rpm's when going up a grade, pulling the choke out slightly seemed to help. Shut her down with plans to come back and do a little carb adjusting later. When I tried to crank late yesterday, the #@$&)$ thing wouldn't crank and run. Cranked a few times but quickly died. Fuel pump is pumping, good fire at the plug, just won't run. I played with it 'til the battery died, it's on the charger now. I have had no experience with the Tecumseh, as I said, this is my first, are they just bad engines? When the battery charges, I will take it to my shop and see what can be done, I'm tired of playing with it...it ain't fun no more :(. Has anyone had good experience with the Tecumseh?

oldredrider

I'm NOT a Teccy fan but they are not bad engines. The carbs suck. The aftermarket carbs are good...work well right out if the box. Looks like you paid way too much for your carb as they are available for $20-35 Chinese style. Good luck!

• Like 1

squonk
th.thumb.jpg.df0452814bb79565c6bae6b9bc0
  • Like 3

Save Old Iron

If you substitute the name Kolher or Briggs or Kawasaki for Tecumseh, your post sounds identical to 90% of the other posts in the engine category, Troubleshoot the symptoms, and ignore the pissing and moaning regarding what name is on the engine.

• Like 9

Sprocket

Double check the numbers for the carb against your engine code (not necessarily the tractor number) - The "with some modifications" part doesn't sound right...

I've got a carb coming in the mail along with a rebuild kit for the OEM carb.  It took a bit of digging to find the right part numbers.  See my post below.  Please keep us posted on things.  Good luck

Bert

The HH100 is a good engine, don't get discouraged. I have two onans , two kohlers and two tecumsehs. All of them at one time or another have needed a bit of tinkering.
I have a diverse  herd and usually prefer to use the HH100 powered custom worker. Its reliable powerful and revs like a briggs but will chug down low like a kohler. 
If you can put up a few pics of your current carb/fuel pump setup Id be happy to try to help.

thanks 

Edited by Bert
  • Like 2

kudzu3

This thing is hainted! I went out, took it off the charger and it cranked right up and have been riding my grandkids around for a couple of hours. The only thing now is that it has to be choked, even when hot, to crank, but it cranks right up and runs perfectly. The only thing I can think of is that it had a piece of something in the carb and it finally passed. Thanks for the good info and support:handgestures-thumbupright:. Sprocket, the "some modifications", are that the new carb had no threaded port for the fuel pump, so I just installed it in line and it seems to work fine. I guess I did pay too much for the carb, but couldn't find a cheap replacement for that engine...Oh well, can't go back. Thanks all.:bow-blue:

• Like 1

slantram

I agree 100% with "Save Old Iron."

• Like 2

fast88pu

Tecumsehs are good engines. They are what many companies have used on their snowblowers for years. Yes they are picky engines but all have their issues too

• Like 1