mancanic2

mower belt issues

mancanic2

I own a new to me well maintained 520 H.  It seems to eat the mower drive belt, pto to deck every three months. It wears a little into the side of the belt, squeaks when pto is engaged.  deck pulley has a slight bend in it,and also belt doesnt line up perfectly straight. any help is accepted.  Dale.

daveoman1966

1.) The PTO-to-Deck belt has to be on the INNER-MOST  'V' of the PTO pulley...that is, the V closest to the engine.   
2.) Use only the OEM belt   (s/b 102742)  The aftermarket belts do not EXACTLY match the contour of the Wheelhorse V pulleys leading to drag & premature failure
3.) Either straighten that pulley, or replace it.  (I have replacement pulley7s for 42 or 48 " decks).
4.) Check BOTH of the idler pulleys on the MULE DRIVE.  If either one drags at all, or wobbles more than little, replace it  (I have those too).
5.) Are you CERTAIN that  the deck is hung correctly?  There is a right and a wrong way to hang it.  Check with the DECK manuals on-line in this forum.

LEVEL (1).jpg

LEVEL (2).jpg

LEVEL (2)a.jpg

• Like 3

Lagersolut

Adding to Dave's post

6) check each deck spindle with the belt " off  " turning each pulley by hand and feel for drag from a seized bearing .

• Like 1

tarcoleo

In addition to the good advices above, be sure you are using an "A" or 1/2" belt.  For the longest
time I was using a 5/8" belt on my "C" chassis with the same poor wear result.

• Like 1

Kelsey

Brilliant information!   * Kelsey runs over to his WH C-100 manual and writes this down.*

• Like 3

mancanic2

Dave,

Been looking for the pages you have listed on here, would be a great help if you could lead me to them. I think it might be installed wrong, I am using a Wheel horse belt but maybe the wrong size. will let every one know thanks for the help

mancanic2

Found the problem... belt was installed improperly and also there was an improperly installed bolt and or bushing missing on lift arm. after replacing and double checking everything works great!

• Like 1

953 nut
Good to know the problem was resolved:text-bravo:    :WRS: