chorusguy

zerk fittings and greasing

chorusguy

On my c160 I have a couple of zerk fittings that I think are plugged up from some quickie paint work.  The first question is how do you replace them?  Second question I'd how are they sized?  Third are there different sizes?  And fourth how much grease do you inject when you grease your fittings?

Edited by chorusguy
please delete duplicate post
  • Like 1

groundhog47

Some push in but most screw in with sizes from 1/4"-28 to 3/8" and 1/4" pipe thread and 1/8" pipe thread (and metric). I believe the center axel is 3/8" and most of rest are 1/4". You would use a deep well socket wrench or hand wrench to unscrew the threaded types. Various opinions on grease amount. Bearings (roller, ball ect.) only need a small amount while spindle (steering) and sleeve type might need more than a couple squirts.  I used to over grease everything till found too much can be bad in some applications as well as correct type. Definitely if known dry, stiff, squeaking feed it some grease.
Google " How much grease to use" and some stuff will pop up.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Before trying to replace them, try cleaning the outside of them. Once cleaned, a good grease gun should be able to power it's way through any minor obstruction. The zerks are different sizes depending on where they are located. Most are standard thread and have a hex surface for wrenching. Some are pressed in though. I have seen front wheels where they are pressed.

I add grease until I see it start to squeeze out of the area being greased.

• Like 2

slammer302

most of the smaller grease fitting will take a 5/16'' wrench or socket to take off you can buy new fittings at a farm store or auto parts store i always like to replace old ones with new ones because they seem to seal up better with my grease gun and get the grease inside what ever im trying to grease instead all over the outside and they look good 

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

A word to the wise.If you're going to stay in the old tractor hobby for any length of time,buy a grease fitting assortment.I guarantee you'll use them from time to time.You can buy the assortment from places like Tractor Supply and Northern Tool.

• Like 2

Tankman

A word to the wise.If you're going to stay in the old tractor hobby for any length of time,buy a grease fitting assortment.I guarantee you'll use them from time to time.You can buy the assortment from places like Tractor Supply and Northern Tool.

The assortment is the best way to go, grease fittings on hand!

The one fitting, I'm guessing often missed, in the one at the front axle center. Under the axle so be careful lifting the front, I always use a block of 2 x 4 on the floor jack when lifting at front 'n center (USMC talk). 

A bit off topic but I also keep some thrust washers in stock. I'm "allergic" to slop. 
https://qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Washer_SL_SB_I.htm

• Like 1

WHX??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNldz5RQiPw

Like the guys said above I would think it just easier to replace them. I keep the tap on hand for chasing the threads, some kind of wierd fine thread size but they are available.

Pollack Pete

Like the guys said above I would think it just easier to replace them. I keep the tap on hand for chasing the threads, some kind of wierd fine thread size but they are available.

Actually,I think the thread size is 1/4-28.Which is 1/4 fine thread bolt threads.

• Like 1

Tankman

Actually,I think the thread size is 1/4-28.Which is 1/4 fine thread bolt threads.

Easy enough, 1/4-28 taps on most hardware shelves.

Keep a few small Easy-Out's in your Kennedy tool box too!  
;)
The broken ends of grease fittings usually extract easily, greased up (let's hope).

Rob R

I would recommend trying to clean and opening the nipples prior to replacing (last resort) since the threads vary and it is very easy to strip them out. Just take a strong wire or point an old small screw driver and open the nipple.... just saying.....

shallowwatersailor

Nice conversation about the lowly zerk fitting. One mistake I made early on was to install a 90 degree fitting on the center spindle of a mower deck to make it easy to grease during the mowing season. Whoops! Just the threads were left - so out came the Easy-Out.

I agree with Tankman on gathering an assortment of thrust washers/shims/etc. Get some decent size organizers and start collecting. It will save a lot of aggravation in the future.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

WHX??

i believe your right on that thread size pete, ther are other sizes but thats the more common one. Groundhogs got it down too...I had to buy the tap for my harleys they  used 1/4-28 on oil pumps

I'm also hearin what yer sayin about the allergy Tank

Tankman

When working on numerous Horses I don't ever recall any zerk fitting that wasn't 1/4"-28.

The one, at least one, that I change the straight zerk to a 90 degree greaser is the axle pivot. Of course a hose with a swivel adaptor on your grease gun.

403717_700x700.jpg

Vixmith
On 7/10/2015 at 7:11 AM, Tankman said:

The assortment is the best way to go, grease fittings on hand!
The one fitting, I'm guessing often missed, in the one at the front axle center. Under the axle so be careful lifting the front, I always use a block of 2 x 4 on the floor jack when lifting at front 'n center (USMC talk). 

A bit off topic but I also keep some thrust washers in stock. I'm "allergic" to slop. 
https://qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Washer_SL_SB_I.htm

Tankman, How do I know if that front axle zerk is missing on my 520H?  My C160 and my C175 both had that fitting and I regularly greased it. Was on the bottom center of axle. Can't find one on my 1990 520H. Maybe in a different location ??

Tankman
1 hour ago, Vixmith said:

Tankman, How do I know if that front axle zerk is missing on my 520H?  My C160 and my C175 both had that fitting and I regularly greased it. Was on the bottom center of axle. Can't find one on my 1990 520H. Maybe in a different location ??

Center, dead center, of the axle, bottom side. You can feel it with your fingers.

Careful not to break it. Use a block of wood, jack gently. :handgestures-thumbupright:

The fitting is there on my '90 520-8. Yours is probably there, broken off and full of crud.

If so, needle as much crud out as possible. Then the broken part will come out easily using an Easy-Out.

Done this several times without any difficulty. :)

• Like 1

6wheeler
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 8:03 AM, rgrottk said:

I would recommend trying to clean and opening the nipples prior to replacing (last resort) since the threads vary and it is very easy to strip them out. Just take a strong wire or point an old small screw driver and open the nipple.... just saying.....

You can also " lightly heat" them with a small torch. I mean "lightly", that works to loosen the crusty grease that may be locking up the ball.

• Like 1

Vixmith
2 hours ago, Tankman said:

Center, dead center, of the axle, bottom side. You can feel it with your fingers.

Careful not to break it. Use a block of wood, jack gently. :handgestures-thumbupright:

The fitting is there on my '90 520-8. Yours is probably there, broken off and full of crud.

If so, needle as much crud out as possible. Then the broken part will come out easily using an Easy-Out.

Done this several times without any difficulty. :)

Hey Tankman,   Great and thorough reply.  Thanx BuKu !

I was just hoping they might have moved the zerk and I wouldn't have to easy -out it.  :>(

Rainy day work, along with finding the zerk(s) on the steering gears.  Would like to locate them then run a remote tubing and pipe fitting line to a more convenient place for my grease gun.  That's a common method or greasing bearings in industrial practice.

Thanx again.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

It's a good idea to have extra protection keeping the dirt out of inside the grease fitting, these  Zerk Caps  fit all of our Wheel Horse fittings, (dust/sand may be pushed in when the fitting is accidently hit by dirt & bark while in use, especially the front fittings).  These are very inexpensive extra protection.

For the mower deck spindle fittings, cut the loop/strap off and use only the cap (small opening on belt covers).  

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 10.10.14 AM.png

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2