redhead

Front spindle

redhead

I have a 179, c-141 WH tractor and it has quite a bit of play at front spindles. my question is ,is the holes in spindle where TIe ROD connects to suppose to be oblonged?Mine seems to be on both sides. By measuring with a small ruler it looks like they are out of round by a little over 1/16 ". Please someone let me know. if they are suppose to be round then I will plugged them and redrilol to proper hole size which is 3/8 ".:auto-swerve: THANKS

Ed Kennell

The holes should be round. but the tie rod ends must have been loose to elongate the holes.  The tie rod end bolt nuts should be tightened so there is no movement in the hole.

• Like 1

pacer

They should be very snug in the holes - as Ed said they have gotten loose at some point and wallowed out, this is fairly common.

A relatively easy fix is to bore/drill the existing hole out to 1/2" and put a 1/2x3/8" shoulder bronze bushing in it. Try and sneak up on the 1/2" hole, a drill bit tends to bore over size. Try for a nice snug fit with the bushing (dont want IT wallowing out!) I usually try a 15/32 first followed by a 31/64" bit.

• Like 1

Tankman

Small drill, under 1/2", then use a reamer. Install bushing and add "tighten bolts" to the PM list. ;)

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1