countrygirl216

Need transmission

countrygirl216

Can anyone tell me where I can find a transmission for our wheelhorse. It is a 400 series 8 speed, Type-Mechanical all gear  Engine is 414 model, nothing wrong with engine, transmission just went.. or if anyone can tell me who can rebuild it for us... Thanks

Racinbob
:WRS:
Please tell us what it's doing. It likely is something simple. A little more info and whatever it takes the folks here will get you running again. :)

bmsgaffer
:text-yeahthat:

In most cases, by the time you get the transmission out for a swap, it would just be a hair longer to just rebuild the one you have (if its even necessary, which more than likely its not) and put all new seals in it. Unless there is a part of your transmission case laying on the ground, ill bet you can get most of the parts you need used on here and rebuild the one you have!

If you must swap then your best bet would be to find one in another tractor... but even then you dont know what the history is.

The biggest problem I see is that you just have no more forward motion. If thats the case, have someone step back and watch when you put it in gear. There's a good chance one of the axles is spinning inside of the hub which means you just sheared a woodruff key. Assuming everything is in halfway decent shape that's just a couple bucks and an hour or so of work.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

First, :WRS: 

Now, tell us a little something more about what you're looking for and what your capabilities are.
Are you technical or mechanically inclined?
Are you looking to replace this yourself, or are you merely looking for help in finding someone in your area who can fix it for you?  
Have you already found/checked with a local dealer regarding service?

Answers to a few of these questions will help the members here be able to know a little more about what you're looking for.

:thanks: 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Like was said above, we can walk you through the process of fixing this trans your self, and a little trouble shooting can go a long way.  If you are hell-bent on buying a good,used, re-built one...send a PM  to racinfool40 (Mike)...this is what he does.  He is in Ohio.  :)

WELCOME TO RED SQUARE.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

countrygirl216

Well the casing is cracked,didn't fall off though... leaking transmission fluid, when hubby pulled out dipstick , the dipstick had a bend in it... he hasn't torn it down or off to see what sheared off... but my guess is we need a whole new transmission or rebuilt one.. just need to find one for our model of wheel horse, we are willing to drive to get one, and we have a trailer to haul our wheel horse to someone to get it fixed if possible..

stevasaurus

OK...to send a Personnel Message (PM) to a member...go to the top of the page...click on the "envelope" icon...click on "compose new"  Type racinfool40 in the to box.  Tell him what horse you have and what happened.  When he sees the massage, he will get back to you.  Mike goes through the transmissions he picks up...you know it will be good. :)  Another option, that may find one closer, is to place an add in the "classified section" "wanted"  area.  I think you are looking for a 5086 transmission if your horse is like a SB-421 or SK-486.  I am not sure what you really have there.  If it is a #5086 transmission, you have an 8 speed, 4 pinion differential with 1" axles.  All Wheel Horse axles are either 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.  Hope that helps.  :)  Let us know...please.  Looks like you are just north-east of Pittsburgh...we have a ton of members that live in Penn...maybe there is someone that lives close that can help you if you need it. 

Edited by stevasaurus

Ken B

If anyone knows Bill Jenkins phone # or email address maybe they can post it up. I see the original poster is in Pa. and Bill is also. If Bill has a rear diff for this tractor and he says it is good then it is good.

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

Not sure what his name is on here. I can ask if he has one for you, I am going down this week to pick up something. He may just have one. He had a bunch before the show but I know he sold a lot.
   Thanks Kyle

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

You can find nearly any gear drive wheel horse made after 1980 will have an 8 speed you can swap in.

WH 312-8 Fan

Mike would most likely have a transmission half for you and could get you going in no time. If your tractor is a 414-8, it should have the 1 1/8" axles. It helps you're on the right end of PA.

I'm glad that you guys are of the right mind to be willing to work on the tranny in some way and not just junk the whole tractor! Too much  of that going on anyways.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You are going to need to know the axle diameter you have now...you can measure it at the outside of one of the hubs.  It is either 1" or 1 1/8"...you want to get the same so you can re-use your hubs.  :)

can whlvr

she said it is a 414,so if it isi orig then it is the 11/8 8 pinion,but as steve said check the axle size,if its a tractor u bought used then it could have a transplant tranny,because other than the hubs being different a 1 inch 4 pinion will bolt up also

• Like 1

Bobster

I too have a problem with the tranny in my 857.  3 speed.  I'll be watching this post to maybe figure out if I want to attempt to repair it or trade it for a replacement.  Cant find much help in Kentucky for these tractors. 

Are there any videos that show complete teardown and assembly of the 3 speed?

Racinbob

You bet. Go to the Instructional Threads & Videos category on the Wheel Horses References section from the home page and you'll find all sorts of good stuff to help you out. You can also download the repair manual here. Then start a thread on your problem and you'll get a ton of help, :)

• Like 2

countrygirl216

This is on our transmission case- UniDrive - Patent # 2988185 , is this important when looking for a transmission?

AMC RULES

No

stevasaurus

If you have a 414-8 horse, you have an 110995 transmission with 1 1/8" axles...8 speed.  That is what is important.  I think any 8 speed from  1970 and up will work and bolt right in.  Obviously, the newer the better.  :)  Here is the manual if you want.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/5025-tractor-1988-414-8-da-tiplpdf/

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Hey @countrygirl216

Post a wanted ad here: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/10-wanted/ for any 8 speed 1 1/8" transmission made after 1970 like @stevasaurus said.

OR

Search your local craigslist for a horse (best to find a 400 series or a C- anything).

But your best bet will probably be to get one shipped from someone here. You can ship heavy things like transmissions through Fastenal Third Party Logistics fairly cheap (must be strapped to a pallet and empty of oil). Ill bet shipping on a transmission comes in well under $100 depending on where its coming from.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 3

roadapples

Bill Jenkins  phone # is 610-495-7822, cell is 610-587-2920, Pottstown, Pa.

• Like 2

dave in A.P.

hi this is dave in A.P.  my yahoo email is d5az1975@yahoo.com i live 45 min from you. maybe i can help. i have a parts tractor but dont know if trans is good, but it has 1"1/8 axels

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

There you go, just like that you have a replacement transmission. Just tear into it first and replace anything worn and give it all new seals. You will have it going for 30 more years.

countrygirl216

I went to the local Fastenal store- they said I had to get on line and fill out the form, but it is asking for the weight, value and do I have to be a fastenel customer? I am so new to this..thanks!

bmsgaffer

Did you find someone that is going to send you a transmission? Looks like dave is offering you one that's only 45 minutes from you... I would pick that one...

Fastenal is only used as a shipping company in this instance. And you can fill out the form from the link I sent to get a quote from them... but like I said, check with dave.

Oh and no, you dont have to be a customer. Someone on here may be able to get you a general estimate of weight... and value would be whatever you paid for it...

countrygirl216

A general estimate of weight would be great..