muz123

Front mower

muz123

I recently picked up a front mower from the big show. I got it for a whopping $90!. It works great under trees and bushes. Took me quite a while to find one. Here are some pictures after getting it hooked up.

IMG_0747.thumb.JPG.5dd5f75a63f5157dd09ffIMG_0798.thumb.JPG.59cda5fb4a09f499deef7

• Like 4

ericj

i have 1 that i bought years ago at the big show, but it never came with all of the hardware so it sat in the shed for years. a couple of years ago i bought a complete front mower with deck and had the hardware duplicated but still never got around to using mine. i keep saying i have to get it out and try it so maybe one of these days. mine has a rod that goes down through the c channel and the deck wheels bolt on the rods. not sure of the purpose of them. now i will have to go and see if i can find the hardware and mount it up

eric j   

• Like 1

rexman72

great find

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Got any pics of the drive belt arrangement?

• Like 2

pacer

Them things are tooooo cool!!
  • Like 1

PaulC

This is a very neat setup and ive always wondered the point but you mentioning getting under trees and what not with it makes sense. Whats it like for actual mowing? Id guess not to much different. Ive always thought id like to get a front mount reel mower but I don't think they made them past the 70's or so.

$90 bucks seems like a great price. It was just the mounting brackets and hardware right, not the deck too? Can you mount any standard attach-a-matic deck to it? Man would it look cool with a 60" under it :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

JC 1965

First time I've seen one mounted on a tractor. It looks really good.      :thumbs2:

• Like 1

ba2988

I have the same front mount carrier and used it for a few years with a 48 inch deck.  It worked well - my only complaints would be that you get some blow back of grass clippings in your face especially if there is wind.  Also, standard deck wheels will dig into the grass in a sharp turn - I put some larger more rounded wheels on my deck to help limit this issue.  The carrier does come with 2 rods with smaller wheels that bolt to the flat bar (nearest to the tractor) but these are essentially useless.  What it really needs are 2 additional wheels that are beefy like the 2 swivel casters in the front.   Another benefit is that it is much easier to take on and off than the standard belly mount.

Brice

• Like 3

muz123

I will try and get some up tomorrow.

• Like 1

muz123

This is a very neat setup and ive always wondered the point but you mentioning getting under trees and what not with it makes sense. Whats it like for actual mowing? Id guess not to much different. Ive always thought id like to get a front mount reel mower but I don't think they made them past the 70's or so.

$90 bucks seems like a great price. It was just the mounting brackets and hardware right, not the deck too? Can you mount any standard attach-a-matic deck to it? Man would it look cool with a 60" under it :laughing-rofl:

Yes, it was just the mounting brackets and the hardware. Also you can mount any attach-a-matic deck onto it. The deck i got separate. 

Edited by muz123

can whlvr

I too have wondered how the belt works,a mule drive from thr middle attachmatic ?

• Like 1

ericj

there is suppose to be an idler that goes into the center quick attach, looks very similar to the tiller idler but i believe it only has 1 pulley on it.  actually the axle going through the belt and it takes a special belt if i recall correctly.

eric j 

• Like 1

muz123

there is suppose to be an idler that goes into the center quick attach, looks very similar to the tiller idler but i believe it only has 1 pulley on it.  actually the axle going through the belt and it takes a special belt if i recall correctly.

eric j 

Yes you are right. One part of the belt goes under the front right side of the axel and the other part of the belt goes on top of the axel. So you would have to jack up the front wheel to get the belt on.

Edited by muz123

boovuc

I thought this would be a good setup for those of us who have high grass that doesn't need mowed all the time. High grass/weeds get smashed down by the wheels but not so with a front-mount deck that is wider than the wheelbase of the tractor. I always wanted to try one but bulked at the costs of the carrier. You got a nice deal at the show! Congrats!

• Like 1

Tankman

Great find! You stole it tooi

Been looking for the frame for sometime, not too many available.

• Like 1

Kegler

Great find!   Had a front mower on an old Sears (maybe Power King?) mower and loved it. Will have to keep my eye out for one for a W.H.

• Like 1

muz123

here is the belt arrangement.

IMG_0819.thumb.jpg.932513c876d4823bb74c7

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Thanks for posting these pics.   I bought a front carrier  for $40 at an auction but did not get the  idler piece that goes under the PTO in the attach- a- matic.    If you get a chance when the mowing season is over post some  dimensions on the idler setup.    Looks like it would work great on  taller grass except for the wind blown grass as mentioned above that might happen every once in a while!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Very interesting belt arrangement. Thanks for the pic Muz.   Is the pulley under the PTO a spring loaded tensioner?

• Like 1

muz123

Very interesting belt arrangement. Thanks for the pic Muz.   Is the pulley under the PTO a spring loaded tensioner?

Yes it's spring loaded. The spring attaches to the holes on the right side of the engine mount.

Edited by muz123