Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Parts Washer Solvent

HorseFixer

Just serviced my Parts washer tank yesterday evening had a stuck motor so had to take apart and free up the impeller. Guess thats what happens when ya dont use it in many years :D What do you guys use for the solvent? I think I have stoddard solvent in it, and smells a little stale. Called and they want $7.95 a gal for fresh solvent. What do you guys use? :hide:

sorekiwi

I use mineral spirts in mine. seems like the best compromise of performance/price. I did put 10 gallons of purple power in it once, worked really good, but it took all the paint off the tank and really ate my hands up (I dont wear gloves in the parts washer).

Years ago I worked at a place that had Kerosene in theirs, seemed to work OK, but left the bits a little oily for my taste.

CasualObserver

I use the generic eco-friendly green crap from Fleet Farm at full strength. It's not as quick as the petro-based solvents, but with a little soaking and a stiff bristled brush, it does pretty good. (Same stuff as "Monster Wash" sold at places like Northern Tool.)

sorekiwi

I use the generic eco-friendly green crap from Fleet Farm at full strength. It's not as quick as the petro-based solvents, but with a little soaking and a stiff bristled brush, it does pretty good. (Same stuff as "Monster Wash" sold at places like Northern Tool.)

You can use your parts washer to wash Monsters??

• Like 1

linen beige

I wash mine in the shower. :hide: Sorry, too easy.

A lot of the older mechanics I grew up around would use one full of Gunk or ATF for the heavy stuff and rinse that off with carb cleaner or clean Gunk.

I usually just soak my parts in WD-40 then rinse them with Simple Green. I don't own a parts washer.

• Like 1

Butch

I just moved mine so I had to empty it. Cleaner still looked good with a

lot of gunk on the tank bottom. I use Next Dimension 5 Gallon Parts Cleaner

from Advance Auto. It's $65. The cleaner is green. Even if I let parts soak

a few days I still have to use the brush pretty good on them. They have some very strong and expensive cleaners out there but aren't easy to find.

• Like 1

COMB2

I can't remember what we used. Gas or K-1, I just remember you better not smoke around it :hide: Worked real good thou

CasualObserver

Only little ones. For bigger ones, I throw them in the back of the truck and use the engine degreaser at the car wash. :hide:

jerrell

:hide: i made a parts washer using a 30 gallon drum,(plastic) cut in half and i use disel, works well , but like one of you posted leaves it a little greasey, just use the power washer with a little dove dish dertergent and comes out sparkling clean.. :D

now if i could get something to send sound waves through it , that would be the cat's meow... in the military they had the ultra-sound washer and that thing would clean anything..

TJ

A little gasoline goes a longways.

HorseFixer

A little gasoline goes a longways.

Thanks Guys! Alot of good information!

tj4428 :hide: you have more guts than me if you would put gasoline in a parts washer! Yer right would go a longways in blastin my tractors to the moon! :D I dont wanna ketch me garage on fire! YIKES! :hide:

linen beige

Thanks Guys! Alot of good information!

tj4428 :hide: you have more guts than me if you would put gasoline in a parts washer! Yer right would go a longways in blastin my tractors to the moon! :D I dont wanna ketch me garage on fire! YIKES! :hide:

Amen to that. I still remember a local guy who not only burned himself to death that very way, but he also killed his three year old daughter. The fire marshall's investigation concluded that fumes from the gasoline in his parts washer were ignited by the motor in a refrigerator in his garage. And the overhead door WAS open. It doesn't take many gas fumes to ruin your day.

66horse

i need to clean my parts washer out and get some new solvent in there. I was using super clean pretty much same as purple power mentioned above. It faded the paint on my tank and tears your hands up if you dont wear rubber gloves.

I might try kerosene in it next. I was getting purple power for $7 or $8 a gallon at walmart if i remember right

HorseFixer

Amen to that. I still remember a local guy who not only burned himself to death that very way, but he also killed his three year old daughter. The fire marshall's investigation concluded that fumes from the gasoline in his parts washer were ignited by the motor in a refrigerator in his garage. And the overhead door WAS open. It doesn't take many gas fumes to ruin your day.

That's a sad state of affairs Jim :D how can people be so stupid? :hide: I take that back. I see about 450 of them every day locked up! :hide:

TJ

I tried to reply to this earlier, but it didn't go through.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but what I meant, and wasn't clear on, is that I use a little gasoline in a tub, and than I dispose of it.

A parts washer would use more than a little.

HorseFixer

I tried to reply to this earlier, but it didn't go through.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but what I meant, and wasn't clear on, is that I use a little gasoline in a tub, and than I dispose of it.

A parts washer would use more than a little.

Not a problem mate! I figured ya meant like in a can or something! Then dump it on yer neighbors yard when finished! :hide: :D

TJ

Believe it or not, I don't dump it in my neighbors yard.

I am guilty of an off the cuff remark and for that I am truly sorry.

BILT4ordTUF

Fumes from a Wheel Horse make my day!!! :thumbs:

bk-scouter

That brings up an interesting issue then. I don't have a parts washer tank (yet), but from from an evironmental stand point, how are you to safely dispose/recycle your used solvents when you "freshen up" the tank ?? Are there any recycle programs near anyone that will take your used stuff ? The days of dumping chemicals in the woods or behind the garage are over... :thumbs:

-BK

Jim_M

I use Mineral spirits also. It works well enough and isn't too expensive.

The last time I cleaned mine out, just by coincidence I also had a stump that needed to be burned.

If you drill 1/2" holes about 4" deep into an old stump and pour your old parts washer solvent in it every day for a week the stump will burn all the way to the roots. That's how I recycle the stuff. :thumbs:

pond195520032003

66Horse, you can get purple power at the dollar general store for a littler $4.00 a gallon :omg: i use to use gasoline to clean all my parts and then re-clean with dish soap :dunno: not any more :D i was watching a engine rebuild show and they said to never clean internal engine componets with gas as it stays in the pours, and will not let the oil cling to them :thumbs::omg::whistle: any way will either use the cheap carburator cleaner or purple power :D you are wright that it will tear your hands up if not wearing gloves :lol: and you cant get a good hold on anything either :whistle:

Rideawaysenior

Mineral spirits would be my choice of cleaner. Not crazy expencive and works well enough. My parts tub isn't that big, and about 8 gallons is all I need. The only part I hate is cleaning the sludge out on the bottom. It sure does pile up quickly.

sorekiwi

One day when I have the room, I'm going to have 2 parts washers, 1 for the dirty stuff, and 1 that stays clean for final washing of (for example) engine and gearbox stuff before assembly. Every few months you would dump the dirty tanks solvent, and refill it with the stuff from the clean tank. The clean tank would then get new solvent.

I've been successful draining the dirty solvent into a bucket, allowing it to settle and then decanting the top 3/4 of the solvent off the top. I havent tried it but some guys put water in the barrel first, and the mineral spirits sits on top of that.

:thumbs:

I seem to spend half my life in the solvent tank (at work) so dirty nasty tanks are a pet peeve of mine....

Rod(NASNUT)

i was watching a engine rebuild show and they said to never clean internal engine componets with gas as it stays in the pours, and will not let the oil cling to them

That is right gas or kerosene will stay in the pours, and will not let the oil cling to them.

mflowers

We use Safety Kleen at work and they will come every 12 weeks and pick up the old and fill with new for about $38.

• Like 1