jrandyg

Painting Success!!

jrandyg

Hi All,

Thanks for being here and all the threads and topics. Such good information. Such a good group of people. What a great hobby!!!

I've been "tinkering" with my 1966 656 Wheel Horse. 6 Horse HH-60 Techumseh motor. Got it in not running condition. Spent most of last year just looking and imagining what could be. Took a few small parts off and painted or cleaned them. Like all of you, I only have so much time i can put into a project like this. Life, work, chores and family obligations always have to come first. This weekend I decided to make time for myself and some higher "tinkering". Grew some and finally stripped and painted a body panel(The rear fender). I only did the top half, assuming i'd just have to strip it again when my shabby painting skills sat atop the 50 year old metal. I'd painted this and that but nothing that really mattered like a body panel. Much to my surprise, it came out great!!! All I did was take it down to bare metal, wiped the dust off, hit it with a solvent, let it dry and BOOM!! Rattle can heaven!!! I am soo happy!!! I had no idea it "could" be that simple. My experience has always been bad with this type of thing. After reading threads and learning quite alot from you guys I have had some great successes. It runs(not the paint, LOL the engine!!)!!!! It's getting some paint!!! Now It's really getting some paint. I already can tell that this will be the first "freshening" of the old horse. As I learn more from you guys and hone my skills I'll want to do a better job in the future. I'll post some pictures soon.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Randy

• Like 4

AMC RULES
:WRS:

stevasaurus

Excellent reading Randy.  If you can get a Techumseh running, you can probably paint anything and it will look great.  :ychain:  We are looking forward to the pictures.  I love the short frame square hoods.  BTW, I just picked up an 876 2 weeks ago.  We'll have to meet in St. Charles and ride around the town some day.  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

Come on now Randy. Ya gotta post pictures. I'll never say that rattle cans are the best way to go but I know first hand that beautiful results can be achieved, even to the point where an auto body man didn't believe me that it was done that way. It's really just another way to move the paint from the container to the target. Now.....if I could just figure out how to get hardener in that rattle can :scratchead::)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Come on now Randy. Ya gotta post pictures. I'll never say that rattle cans are the best way to go but I know first hand that beautiful results can be achieved, even to the point where an auto body man didn't believe me that it was done that way. It's really just another way to move the paint from the container to the target. Now.....if I could just figure out how to get hardener in that rattle can :scratchead::)

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-aero-spray-paints.html

squonk

Excellent reading Randy.  If you can get a Techumseh running, you can probably paint anything 

Brain Science or Rocket Surgery isn't too far off! 5321056003avatar.thumb.gif.8023bdbf358da

• Like 4

Racinbob

minion 689541.jpg

• Like 1

jrandyg

Stevasaurus, is there a meet or a show in St. Charles? I'd love to hear more about it.

stevasaurus

No, sadly, not that I know of...but there is one in Sycamore.  The Steam Pioneer show...here is the link...
http://www.threshingbee.org/
Let me know if you want to go out there.  I am looking at just Friday this year...at the moment.
A bunch of us are going to the Garden Tractor show in Portage Wisconsin this weekend.  It is about 3 hours drive for me.  PM me if you are interested in either one of these shows.  :)  Here is the link for the Portage show...
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/52109-2015-annual-garden-tractor-daze-portage-wi-july-10-12-2015/

Magne

:rolleyes:Come on now Randy. Ya gotta post pictures. I'll never say that rattle cans are the best way to go but I know first hand that beautiful results can be achieved, even to the point where an auto body man didn't believe me that it was done that way. It's really just another way to move the paint from the container to the target. Now.....if I could just figure out how to get hardener in that rattle can :scratchead::)

Now  you can. I make rattelcans with hardner inside. And after you activate them  they  last a few days. :D

rmaynard

If you can make rattle cans with hardener, please give us more information. What kind of paint is it? Is the hardener an isocynate? More info...please.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer
:text-yeahthat:

@rmaynard Looking at the Eastwood link above, it looks like they have a two part in rattle can. I dont know enough of the details to give you more info, but they should have info sheets.
  Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

kudzu3

Good reading Randy. :) I did the same as you, got a really worn out tractor, took it apart one piece at a time and went to work without much experience in such a thing. I used rustoleum regal red, taking everything down to bare metal then applying several coats of primer, wet sanding between coats, and then a few coats of paint, also wet sanding between coats. The result was really great and I was really surprise, I believe anyone with the patience and care can do an amazing job with rattle cans. Surface prep, lighting and patience seem to be the secret to a great finish. I'd like to see some pics.

• Like 1

Magne

If you can make rattle cans with hardener, please give us more information. What kind of paint is it? Is the hardener an isocynate? More info...please.

the  paint is the same i use in a gun. And i can mix  anny collor.  Its 2 comp acrylic paint with isosyanat hardener.
In the emty rattelcan  it is alreddy hardener from the factory,  and i pump anny kind of collore inside.
Before use you most punktere (push a button under the can to realeas  the hardener inside )
I use spies hecker paint 675 series, and the rattelcans are made by Maston  and spray max.
Ask your local boddyshop, or suplier for it.
This paint will cure and stay  shainy "forewer":woohoo:

Racinbob

Bob, it looks like it's Eastwood 2K Aerospray. Same boat as Brandon here, I don't have the details.....yet. Sounds interesting.

jrandyg

Picture time.....
I've selected some pictures that show where I'm at with this. Some are parts that I took off in hopes of getting that part looking better. Some parts are in some stage of paint or prep. There are examples of trouble I've had
(brought on by myself and my lack of experience) LOL.

For example the 1st pic is of the drive belt cover. My 1st body panel attempt. Scuffed the paint with whatever i have laying around. Wiped it down poorly and shot some regal red. I taped off the original paint just to see what it would look like next to new paint. ( like I said previously, i fully expected the worst and that's exactly what i got.)

I don't have much in the way of budget. I'm not terribly poor mind you, my thinking is use what you have and improve your tools as your skills improve. As my skills increase so will my budget.

Pic 2 is of the start of the hood. This one REALLY scares me as it is what everyone looks at. I'll get over that and get some paint down though.

Pic 3 is the deck. Spent more time prepping and got better results. Let's face it. It's a friggin mower deck. Just how good should it be? You'll see in pics 4 & 5 some of the deck parts. Haven't decided how far into the quality barrel i want to go. I also found a "test" as i call it. The blade carrier under the deck is cracked. I talked to someone that said it could be braised. Again, beyond me but I'll get help and learn more still.

The rest of the pics are just pics.

More will come, just like you guys, as time allows.

Thanks for looking and keeping this hobby well informed.

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301 (2).JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0302 (3).JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Nice looking horse Randy.  :)

• Like 1

jackhammer

looking good

• Like 1

martinarcher

The hood looks like it's well cleaned up....just be sure to get the hood latch taken off and that area cleaned up so your base is consistent across the entire hood.  The epoxy primers to an excellent job adhering to bare metal as well as the top coat (just be sure to top coat the next day or so).  If you wait too long the two layers will not adhere together like they should.  They chemically adhere instead of mechanically.  if you wait more than a coupe days just skuff up the primer with some 600 and then shoot your top coat so the top coat has something to adhere to mechanically.  Prep is huge as well as you found out with the belt guard.  Get some good wax and grease remover and a good dust free cloth and clean the the panel (wipe it in one direction almost like you are using a squeegee as to not spread grease or dirt around on the part).  After your sure it's clean, do it again with a new rag.  If your anal like me one more time, let air dry and then spray it.

Good luck!  Great looking horse BTW!

• Like 1

jrandyg

Hood came out pretty good i must say. I'll have more pics thru out the day .

Pre Frame Off 040.jpg

Bits and pieces. Still more to come...

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these decals. I have 3 major steps left the way I see it. Engine and trans removal and paint. The part I'll see the most during operation....The dash!!!.

I'll need to get my hands on a cigarette lighter and the know how to install one too.

• Like 2

JC 1965

Looks Great.   :thumbs2:

• Like 1

jrandyg

jrandyg

Trying more pics, having trouble. Sorry

Actually still has "Wheel Horse" tires on the back....

Figured out the picture size thing. I'll get more pics going now...

Post is telling me that pics are being merged. I'll spend some time tinkering with settings at home. I'll try one at a time for now.

jrandyg

Anyone have a tutorial for cigarette lighter install?

Never did paint the bottom of the seat pan. Don't think I will in this round of refurbishmenting.

Crap!!!! Still merging pics...

jrandyg

Now I'm getting somewhere with uploading pics...

Here's the wheel horse tires i mentioned.

I HOPE, more pics will follow

Pre Frame Off 033 (640x480).jpg