Lagersolut

Unknown mower deck

Lagersolut

This was brought to me and offered for the bargain basement price of absolutely free . The shell is in excellent shape, I have no idea what model tractor it came off of and the deck itself has no ID tag .

What I'm wondering, I have an old deck 99 % shot from my C-101 - what am I looking at to get this thing up and mowing changed over to the front mule drive style set up.

If I had to guess it came off a 200 series,  but I'm also thinking that's not right because it's a 42" RD deck.

DSCN2819.JPG

DSCN2818.JPG

oldredrider

I converted an exact deck like that many years ago for a front mule drive. No modifications needed at all. Still use it today wirh no problems.
Uses a standard 42" drive belt too.

Don1977

It looks to be an 42 rear discharge that has been modified to fit something else. See all the extra holes where the original GT attachment was and the bad weld whwere they attached the double pulleys.

Edited by Don1977

daveoman1966

That deck is made for a Vertical shaft engine and is EASILY converted to a typical tach-o-matic setup for the C-101 or others with horizontal engines....I know as I have done this a few times:
1) remove the stack pulley, pinch pulley (near the fron center) and the 'L' shape deck hanger in the rear center. 
2) Using a Sawzall, trim the from anti-scalp BRACKET evenly with the top of the deck (so it doesn't interfere with the lift hardware.)
3) procure a 2-belt center pulley...  I HAVE A NEW ONE TO FIT.  Also hgave a good use center pulley 
4) You'll need the deck belt too....I also have it.
5)The deck is pre-drilled to accommodate the Tach-o-Matic lift hardware.  I have ALL that lift hdwe too if you need it.
Pics are easier than words. 

05-42XR01 (1)a.jpg

05-42XR01 (2)a.jpg

42 RD- (1).jpg

42 RD- (3).jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

Lagersolut

That deck is made for a Vertical shaft engine and is EASILY converted to a typical tach-o-matic setup for the C-101 or others with horizontal engines....I know as I have done this a few times:
1) remove the stack pulley, pinch pulley (near the fron center) and the 'L' shape deck hanger in the rear center. 
2) Using a Sawzall, trim the from anti-scalp BRACKET evenly with the top of the deck (so it doesn't interfere with the lift hardware.)
3) procure a 2-belt center pulley...  I HAVE A NEW ONE TO FIT.  Also hgave a good use center pulley 
4) You'll need the deck belt too....I also have it.
5)The deck is pre-drilled to accommodate the Tach-o-Matic lift hardware.  I have ALL that lift hdwe too if you need it.
Pics are easier than words. 

Thank  you for the instructional

I have an old 42" RD deck that's shot ( the one that originally came with my C-101 ) buried in the shed out back so I have lift hardware pulleys etc .

When you switched the center blade pulley to the double stacked in order to accommodate the belt coming off mule drive did you need to swap  spindles too ? 

Will the belt size be the same than as any 42" deck ?

I have no numbers to go by on  this deck for parts list/belt sizing.

I'll use my 4" angle grinder to cut that center bracket down.

This is actually going to be easier than I originally thought .

Thanks

Bryan

oldredrider

I didn't have to trim the center bracket. Use a 42" rear discharge drive belt. Side discharge belt is too long. Spindles don't need to be replaced. Easy Peasy.

Lagersolut

I didn't have to trim the center bracket. Use a 42" rear discharge drive belt. Side discharge belt is too long. Spindles don't need to be replaced. Easy Peasy.

Cool beans .....Thanks 
:)

I like when things are easy, it doesn't seem to happen  that often ....LOL

daveoman1966

I think you'll see that the deck idler pulley is a different diameter and that the idler arm is mounted at a different angle. 
The profile on your front anti-scalp roller bracket is lower than the one I had so you MAY not have to trim it down...probably not.
It also looks like the tension spring will be different...
All in all...this is a pretty easy swap.

tarcoleo

Included photo of a deck here is offered on Craigs as a 48" WH deck.
(This deck has been discussed in another thread in this "Impl & Attach."
section.  It is of course not a 48" but a 42".)  Anyway, this deck appears
to have been adapted for use with the WH mule drive as davoman shows
above.

00V0V_3FAUPZRaYQ_600x450.jpg

oldredrider

Yup, that is a vertical to horizontal shaft drive conversion. The front anti scalp wheel mount has been trimmed.

archw

I'm looking for a 42" RD deck for my 520-H. Do you have one for sale?
Please email me at pilot2949@gmail.com
Thanks

daveoman1966

I am in n/w PA at zip 16433 and I still have that 05-42XR01 deck ....42" rear that is pictured above.It needs conversion that is discussed here..
I can do all of that in my shop....or give you the parts to do it. 
The baffles on the underside of the 42 RD deck are rotted out and galvanized sheet metal would be an easy fix.  There is also a HOLE PUNCHED into the top of it...looks like someone hit it with a Axe (or tomahawk maybe).  This, too, would be an easy fix..
All 3 spindles are NICE...only slight corrosion on them and the bearings are good shape too.  Blades are dull.
For price and further details, contact me at this email link:
daveoman@windstream.net

05-42XR01 (7).JPG

05-42XR01 (3).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
wrong pic

Lagersolut

All wrapped up, took time ....replacing nuts , bolts, new bushing on the idler/tension bar ect

All and all it went good- just time consuming - I just don't ( or can't ) work as fast as I use to.

DSCN2822.JPG