Tony in Australia

312-8 Guidance requested

Tony in Australia
Hi all, I have question that only you guys can answer for me. My name is Tony and I am from Australia. I live on small acreage and I need a ride on that will pull heavy loads, like the log cutter, log splitter and the tandem trailer loaded with split hardwood and still cut grass.  I have killed my 5yr old MTD 20hp 42in cut, it will cut grass but only if it is real short and on the flat.
As I am an ex Canadian so I know of the wheelhorse lawn tractors and I have found one down here, it's a TORO WHEELHORSE 312-8 RIDE-ON MOWER, 38" CUT, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, year unknown.
I have loaded a photo of the wheelhorse below that I am looking at and a photo of it needs to do.

So my question is this wheelhorse up to the task or will I kill it as well?
All advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards Tony

312-8 Wheelhorse.jpg

IMG047.jpg

• Like 2

MalMac

Yes that tractor will do all the task you would be asking it to do. My only concern would be the trailer. It will pull it with no problem, the only thing that would concern me is that the trailer in the picture is a lot of trailer and stopping it might be a bit much. If your on level ground and have no concerns about having to stop or hold the trailer on a hill then there should not be a problem. The 312 compared to the tractor in the picture is way more tractor. The tractor you have now is a lawn tractor and the 312 is a garden tractor and way heavier built.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The tractor in the photo is a 1985-1989 model.
If the rear axles are 1" diameter I believe is has a 4-pinion differential.
If the rear axles are 1-1/8" diameter I believe it has an 8-pinion differential. They don't come any stronger than this one.

You will see the end of the axle in each rear wheel hub.

Garry

bmsgaffer

I would look for the 1 1/8" axles like Garry mentioned, but I dont think it will be a deal breaker. When you go to look at it, make sure you can smoothly shift into all gears (high and low as well).

With what you are looking to do, you cant get much better than the 8 speed transmission that comes on these. I would look for a heavy duty hitch (see http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/132-rupprechts-welding-and-fab-the-hitch-guys/ for a great example, maybe you can even have one shipped!)

Your ground looks fairly flat and level, so you should be alright, but just understand when you are towing that trailer you are WAY beyond any recommended tow capacity and your ability to stop will be GREATLY diminished (forget about stopping on any incline). I would most definitely look at getting weights on front and rear and high traction tires on the back.

Also when you get it, throw a new drive belt at it and make sure the hubs are flush with the end of the axles and the set screws are tight. One of the most common problems when you start putting a lot of force on it is to shear the woodruff key on the axle because the setscrews werent tight enough. Check for any leaks or up-down/side-side play at the rear axles and replace seals (or bearings if there is play) if necessary. Check and change the transmission gear oil and check the shifter boot. Many times these rot away and let the transmission fill with water. All these are just the extra things I would do in addition to regular preventative maintenance (oil, grease, etc) since you are planning to really work it.

Heres the owners manual (3 parts) for the 1988 model. It should be very similar to the one you are getting, but we will have the correct one for the year once you know what it is. Download it, read it, know it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4609-tractor-1988-300-series-8-speed-da-om-wiringpdf/

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

that horse will pull that trailer no problem, can't see if it has a braking hitch on it(can't find a better way to say it) if it has braking won't be that much of a problem either. just to give you an example of the pulling these horse's do, mine will pull a bigger trailer than that that's on handbrake, and i have a 4 speed with the 1" axle's. oh and welcome to :rs::flags-australia:

• Like 1

953 nut
Tony, :WRS:  as others have said you can't go wrong with a 312-8, Wheel Horse built these for years and they are tough as nails.
:text-welcomeconfetti:

KC9KAS
:WRS:  Good luck with your Wheel Horse....They are very good machines.

Foozerush

I have a 310-8, and I would do all of that with mine, just give her a good look-see.... If you get it, this is the place to get good advice on how to fix it! Welcome to RS!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony in Australia

MalMac, Gwest_ca-, Bmsgaffer, C101 Plowerpower, 953 nut, KC9KAS, and Foozerrush, 

RS members, thank you for you concise guidance and advice, I have already started sourcing oils and grease for it's first service and it has it's own spot in the shed of machines.
The trailer does have a brake hitch so when the pulling unit slow it activate the brakes and my land is mostly flat. It will take pride of place. The wheel horse tractors is not well know down here, when I asked the old boy in the area no one had heard of them, there loss. 

Thanks again and I will be in touch soon.

Tony

• Like 1