nylyon

Idea for the 2016 WHCC show

bmsgaffer

This sounds awesome. It will take some serious planning, and management but I would love a "Junkyard wars" live streamed!

• Like 2

CasualObserver

That's a really cool idea! Will be interesting to see how well that goes over with the WHCC.

• Like 3

rmaynard

Okay, I'm going to be the old wet blanket.

Here is the drawback as I see it. A similar idea was floated a couple years ago to have repair seminars and fix it/build it challenges. Though it sounded good, it never got traction. Mainly because there are only so many hours that you can spend at the show. I personally like to participate in or watch the parades, walk around taking pictures, looking, buying, selling, and talking with friends without having to be engaged in a time consuming project. I do not want to spend my time building a tractor. I do that 6 months out of the year before the show so that I can relax at the show. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 8

CasualObserver

That same thought occurred to me Bob, as I am the same way... but not everyone is. I like Karl's idea of team applications... if that's what you want to do at the show... then go for it.

I believe another idea floated in the past was a fastest tear down and rebuild "Jiffy Jeep" style.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I totally agree  with Bob on this one.     I like to do my projects at my pace and when the arthritis is on vacation.  
    It would be interesting :eusa-think: to see how the vote goes..old retired geezers :no: vs  the young working guys :handgestures-thumbupright:

KC9KAS

My wife made the comment that a GT could be built from all the parts available at the show.
Another RS member told us that a few years ago some folks did just that....build a tractor.
I think it is an awesome idea....after all the 2nd place machine is going to benefit the raffle.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:  Wasn't that the time Wallfish(John)...     :orcs-cheers:
was caught swilling gasoline he had hidden in an iced tea bottle? 
  • Like 2

953 nut
:woohoo:  I think it would be great to watch if we have enough interested participants.  At 6;01 PM Friday the arm wrestling competition between the members of the winning team will begin to see who gets to keep it!:ROTF:

fireman

I totally agree  with Bob on this one.     I like to do my projects at my pace and when the arthritis is on vacation.  
    It would be interesting :eusa-think: to see how the vote goes..old retired geezers :no: vs  the young working guys :handgestures-thumbupright:

I know a retired guy that Stevebo and I are friends with that could smoke most of the young guys so age is not an excuse. It's just a state of mind and if you let it get to you then that's how you'll be. 

With that said, I'd be game to be involved. I'll take KenB, Charlie & SteveBo for my team!

• Like 3

kj4kicks

I am a board member for the WHCC. I can't speak for them as a group, but I can bring it up to the board via telephone and let you know the response. Since their only involvement would be getting a free tractor to add to the raffle, I can't see there being any problem. I know that they don't want any voting or awards at the show (by WHCC members) but if RedSquare wanted to do something on their own, and stay within their own ranks, well....

How the members of RedSquare pick their teams, etc, is up to them. The only other thing I could think of is that if any paint is going to be sprayed, take it out to the field to do that. We certainly don't want any over spray flying around!

On a personal note, since I am a member of the WHCC board, I will not be able to participate in the contest. I don't want to raise any issues about "conflict of interest" , and I also have to be available at all times in case something comes up that needs handled at the show.

It sounds like a fun idea! I'll do my best lobbying and I'll let everyone here know when I get an answer.

• Like 4

kj4kicks

Hey guys, great news !! It's a GO. Just talked to WHCC president Billy Albright, and board member Charlie Culley, and both agreed that it would be not only fun to watch, but greatly appreciated by the WHCC. Nothing in the by-laws of the club says that we can't accept a donor tractor. (All of the other raffle prizes are donated by members and supporters anyhow). As I thought, their only stipulations are that the voting remain within RedSquare members only, and no spray painting in the show area. We also need to be careful of flying sparks and debris. They also offered the use of a building or a large area in the infield (if someone has a LARGE canopy) to use. Both areas have access to 20Amp electricity just in case you need to fire up some grinders, small air compressors, or a 110v welder. (Hint hint)

All right RedSquare, let's see what you've got!

• Like 1

nylyon

Fantastic news, and thank you Eldon.  It would be a RedSquare vote only (hey, we gotta get something out of it too :) ) and when we come up with the rules, it will include NO PAINTING because not just the overspray, but there's enough exhaust fumes don't need to add paint thinner to that as well.

Let me think on this for a little bit, and start to put something together.  The theme will work out perfect custom theme and custom builds.  Thank you again for bringing this to the club, I think it will be a fun event to see.

• Like 3

stevebo

I agree that I do not want to spend the entire time building the tractor however if we have large enough teams it would be great to work in shifts of 1-2 hours per shift. That way everyone who want to be involved can do so but not take up too much time. This will be interesting for sure... 

• Like 1

nylyon

I've watched some of you guys work and gotta say that you're all amazing on what you can do in a short amount of time.  What if we gave it a tighter time limit, say 4 hours?  Twice the fun?

Zeek

I volunteer to be a cheerleader :banana-dreads:

• Like 2

Ken B

I volunteer to be a cheerleader :banana-dreads:

Me too!:greetings-clappingyellow:

nylyon

Well, having 2 Cheer Leaders in the house... I'll bet we can come up with some creative ideas for that too!

BPjunk

Karl,
This was a subject that was on my mind to speak to you about but we didn't get enough time together. Years ago at the show we tried to get teams to put back together a model 656 and see what team could do it the quickest, sort of like at the county fair were a group of guys rebuild a model T in 10 minutes.  Well what happened was nobody wanted to attempt this project at the show. I had a model 656 taken apart (except the engine and transmission) with the parts laid out. What ended up happening was Ed Mayhew and I put the tractor back together with taking challenges from the crowd as to just how fast we could do it (and a whole lot of  heckling too). Times of 1/2 hour to 45 minutes were figured but it did  take us only 18 minutes (tractor running and no power tools).
AT the Florida Flywheels Show I attempted to build a pulling tractor from parts found in the flea market and enter the tractor in the pull ........... I got close but the cost was too high and this with no hi performance parts. I ended up borrowing weights and putting them on my 854 for the 1,000 pound class, with me on the 854 and borrowed weights we weighed in at 600 lbs  BUT we still beat a John Deere in the class !
Fabrication   takes a torch, a welder and a engineering mind with lots of time.

Wild Bill

• Like 5

AMC RULES
Here's hoping...  :eusa-think:      :greetings-clappingyellow:
we're adding another day to the show to allow for this to happen. 
  • Like 2

nylyon

Well Craig, that's another interesting idea....  What about this as a Thursday event? 

Also, some of you mentioned that this is something that you would not do, or would be interested in watching.... the real question is can we get 2 teams established to do this?  So post here if you would be SERIOUSLY interested in actually being in or leading one of the teams (because that's really the only way this works).  Saying that you would is not a commitment, just to see if this would fly.

In any event, the teams would need to be established before the show to insure what Bill talked about doesn't happen, 'cause no way do I want to compete with ANY of you on a build let alone Bill, no one want's to raffle off a bucket of bloody parts from me :)

Edited by nylyon
  • Like 2

neil

I think Craig's idea of adding another day to the show would be awesome . It seems that people so look forward to the show each year and many travel a very long way  to get there that no sooner are you just getting into the  excitment then it's time to pack up & go home . I myself made the trip from UK in 2014 and was loving every second of my visit but was really disappointed when it was over so quick .

There is a " build the tractor "  race that happens at many UK shows that always draws a big crowd  and over a period of 10 mins two teams build a grey Fergy tractor & the first to start the engine wins that stage of the competition .
just an idea.

C-101plowerpower

i would LOVE to be in one of the teams if i could make it over, always wanted to take part in the scrapheap challenge/junkyard wars. this comes pretty close:flags-netherlands:

• Like 1

Coadster32

I like the "team competition" idea. It's pretty neat, and should be a crowd draw, and the members of this board certain have the talent and commrodery to do such.

Not so sure a $250 budget would buy you much of anything, let alone the time hunting down to build from scratch. (This is a cool concept though) 

Building a torn apart tractor like WB had in the past is pretty darn neat. I don't think WB would have to put it together from lack of people signing up to do it either, (honestly I think there'd be a waiting line). It'd really only take 1/2hr of any teams time like stated, and they'd still be able to enjoy the show. Also wouldn't cost much of anything to do this as well. You could have teams compete for the fastest time, and the winner keep the tractor, or any team that competes gets put in a raffle for that tractor, (this would encourage teams to sign up as well). The competition could run for as long as you'd want to, staggered hour start times, over the course of two days, whatever. Just my $.02

nylyon

We could always look for sponsors to help, like a donation of a frame, wheels, engine (doesn't have to run) etc... as long as the starting points are equal.