papaglide

522xi trouble

papaglide

Well I hooked up Lowell's clevis hitch and cable and went to start my 522xi. It made a few clicking noises and then nothing. It won't turn over and the lights don't go on when the key is turned. I checked the safety switches, PTO, etc and all are ok. I will add that for about a year now, when I swould go to start the tractor the starter wouldn't engage right away all the time. Sometimes it would make a whirring sound, I would turn off the key, then turn the key and it would start like normal. Is it the starter?

doc724

I think there are two things going on.  You could have a bad ignition switch.  Recall that the lights are part of the switch on this model.  I think John Matthews may have had some ignition swith problems with his xi's.  Your starter could be bad or going bad or maybe the brushes are frozen to the armature due to inactivity.  My C141 had the later problem after 4 months "in storage" over the winter.  Of course your xi has a new, modern and smaller starter than the Bosch starters that were on the old K series so maybe the frozen brushes are not a problem with the modern engines.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like the defective switch possibility. Is there a starter solanoid. Reminiscent of the old car start problems from years back. You would have to wack that solanoid.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

boovuc

Hi Mike,

Ignition switch possible but, if it was starting just before you installed the clevis hitch, I would look at the seat safety switch. You may have had the starter issue with a few clicks then have nothing due to an interlock issue. Two things at the same time maybe? I always look in the area I was working on when right after the work, I have a no start issue.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Just to clarify, I had an ignition switch problem on a 520-H. The 518xi did develop a bad seat safety switch. Try a simple jumper around it

Mike, go to the basics first such as battery voltage. With the "chatter", it sounds like insufficient voltage.Just like Boo said, what was the last thing touched.

• Like 1

papaglide

I checked the safety switch and the jumper is good. I didn't mess with any wiring installing the clevis, I actually had the tractor running a few times while installing. 
I think that I am leaning toward checking the ignition switch. Can I put a tester on the switch leads to check for current? 

Dennys502
I had problems with my 523xi diesel ignition switch. it wasn't making good contact and wound up melting the plastic on the connector - had intemittent starting issues.

Brian01

Could be as simple as a loose or dirty ground/connection. Check, clean, and retighten all connections.

ericj

if you started the tractor several times while putting the clevis hitch on you may have run the battery down without recharging it. check voltage on the battery 1st, do the simple stuff before digging in deeper don't make it hard on yourself. good luck

eric j 

papaglide

Well, I finally have some time today to dig into this thing. First off, buying a voltmeter to check the battery.

RMCIII

Mike - I'm just going to assume that you checked the 20amp. fuse? My 18 did the same thing when I had it. I started with the seat switch, brand new. Then I started testing the ignition switch. All checked out fine. Went to the starter and checked it. That was fine. Finally I decided to start pulling fuses. When I pulled the 20amp, one side was completely melted. < To this day I have no idea what happened. I replaced the fuse and it fired right up. It could have been a bad seat switch that lead to it being fried, but I can't be positive.

RC

papaglide

That happened to me allready, a little while ago. But I did check the fuses again: all are A ok. Right now I am waiting for tomorrow so I can get a replacement ignition switch.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

That happened to me allready, a little while ago. But I did check the fuses again: all are A ok. Right now I am waiting for tomorrow so I can get a replacement ignition switch.

Mike, thats good, I have been waiting for you to post what it is. lets hope its the switch, problem solved and done.

Glenn

papaglide

Well, I replaced the switch and still nothing. Battery is good. The jumper is good. The fuses are good. I am truly puzzled.

Brian01

Not to be a smart @$$ or anything, but did you check fuses with a test light? Sometimes they look good but aren't.

I would also check all ground connections..take them off n clean them with wire brush or sand paper and retighten

Also check the saftey switch connectors themselves, making sure they aren't bent and touching, that'll "short it" and make it not do anything

papaglide

Brian, I didn't even know that fuses could be checked! I will check that out. 
I just looked at the service manual. One reason it states is that the tarter selenoid needs to be replaced. Is there an amy to check this?

Brian01

lol yes, get you test light, make sure its grounded good...leave the fuse where it is supposed to be....ontop of the fuse itself you can see a little bit of metal on each side..touch your testlight to each side....if it lights up on both sides, then its good, if only on one side then its bad

papaglide

Thanks Brian!

Brian01

Not a problem...That's what we're here for

Forest Road

Did you have to remove the rear fender? If so you could have unplugged the neutral sending switch. It pushes against the speed control cam. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papaglide

Fortunately I didn't. Lowell's  hitch is installed from the underside of the tractor.

papaglide

Well after much messing around I am led to believe that it's the starter selenoid. Battery is good , safety is good, fuses are good, switching out the ignition switch solved nothing. Only problem is that on parts tree the selenoid goes for $296!!!!!!! I might as well sell this thing and buy another tractor for $300!!

Forest Road

Pull the solenoid and go to your local small engine shop. Maybe even auto parts store and get a universal solenoid. Or just push the tractor east to my camp in the AP and I'll tend to it :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Well after much messing around I am led to believe that it's the starter selenoid. Battery is good , safety is good, fuses are good, switching out the ignition switch solved nothing. Only problem is that on parts tree the selenoid goes for $296!!!!!!! I might as well sell this thing and buy another tractor for $300!!

wow, that was my original "guess".  I'll  be darned if thats it. Just like way back in the ol days. Mike, you did go through the steps.
Kevin threw a good idea at you. A universal one.  Good luck.

Glenn