robojoe9

Wheel Paint needed for 60Th Anniversary 315-8

robojoe9

I just scored a 2007 60th Model 315-8 with 108 hours. I did some trading/cash (recieved) and cme out of it with this near mint tractor. I'd like to re-paint the rear wheels as wheel weights  were not installed correct (loose) and wore paint off and surface rust has taken over. I want to match exact so I don't have to do all 4 wheels as fronts are fine. Everything else with the tractor is in mint shape.
Dealer said Toro does not offer the paint. Is listed as Oyster Grey?
Anyone ever try to get the paint? If so what/who/where did you get it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I am not sure why but pictures will no longer upload fo me? I've posted pictures many times using same equipment but now I get and error. I'd like to share picture of tractor/wheels but no luck.

Edited by robojoe9

boovuc

Hi Joe,

That is a good question you asked. I know we have posted about the older cream/off white rim paint used on the older tractors but I don't think or can't think of any thread that dealt with a match for the n ewer rim paint. (1984 and up from what I have observed).
I never tried to match because all my rims needed painted if I even decided to do it. Lets see if anyone has done what your doing and lets see some pics of your 315! (After the monsoons pass)! 

shallowwatersailor

Thje late Toro tractors including the 5xi (my 2000 has grey wheels) were painted with the Oyster Grey. It probably was an economy measure to not use a metallic paint, or perhaps wheels were outsourced by that time and they were supplied already painted. That could explain Toro not listing a paint code. The Eastwood Silver looks better anyway.

If the paint is worn, what possible  happened was the tractor wheel was wet allowing the moisture to accumulate and the paint then "bonded" to the weight.

robojoe9

Looks Like I'll be painting all 4, Kind of a bummer having to peel off all 4 tires. Or maybe I'll cheat and do them with the tires still on. Not the way i like to but at least I wont have to fight dismounting and re-mounting them.

Tried again to load pictures with no luck again.

I give up, something definitely wrong. I even made them quite small.

shallowwatersailor

I agree with Craig. The silver is great but you need to use the clear after imo. 

Agreed on adding clear as well.

robojoe9

I got the rear tires/wheels removed yesterday as it was raining and not much else to do. Inspected the brake assy etc while rears were off. Everything looks new as expected.

My Son and I took the tires off the wheels (very easy) and i stripped and painted them with duplicolor wheel paint (silver). They are a pretty close match but not perfect so I removed the fronts after getting the rears back on. Actually was not really too bad of a mismatch but I'm a bit picky so...... My ocd I guess.
I'd post picture of rears/fronts to show difference but as said previous cannot get anything to upload.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

MU

Edited by robojoe9

Tankman

I found the Duplicolor wheel paint to be excellent. Easy to apply, holds up well.

Off the shelf at most auto parts outlets. Inexpensive.

http://www.duplicolor.com/product/wheel-coating