dlashb40

Paint Color Code

dlashb40

Does Wheel Horse have a standard color code for the red paint that is applied? Has anyone done powder coating? Thoughts?

CasualObserver

it's been discussed once or twice....  :hide: 

for future reference... this thread is a sticky at the top of the restorations forum. 

• Like 1

CasualObserver

As far as powder coating goes... several guys have done it... there's actually a member here who does it professionally for a living.... as you can imagine all his tractors are coated.

Just do a search for powder coating and you'll get more threads than you can read in a day. :thumbs: 

C-101plowerpower

what color codes are you talking about? i've used RAL 3002 on mine

WHX??

Someone else here said painting a wheel horse red is alot like throwing hand grenades .....ya just gotta get it close and long is it's red......

Jason who is that member? I would like to chat with him as my other fetish (other than stainless hardware) is powder coating.

CasualObserver

Jason who is that member? I would like to chat with him as my other fetish (other than stainless hardware) is powder coating.

Martin in nw Illinois. He's got some excellent threads on his rebuilds. Check them out. His wotk is top knotch! Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Racinbob

Doug, what everybody is saying is that there really isn't a Wheel Horse color code. By searching here you can get what most folks use depending on the type of paint. I'm betting the tones varied during any given model year especially on the older units. When I restored my 854 I had a NOS hood still in the box for it and Regal red was pretty darn close. Maybe start with the suggestions here and pick one that you like the best. Nobody is going to look at your tractor and say it's the wrong red.

Powder coating sounds interesting. I've heard that it doesn't shine up as well but I have no experience with it and could be totally wrong. It's worth looking at.

WHX??

I powder coated a 48" deck and its holding up reall well. I wash my decks ALOT and it sheds water and grass clipings way better than paint. Harder to scratch (but not impossible) and very fade resistant. The guy who did it didn't have a red on hand so I told him anything close was ok to get a better price.....big mistake dam near thing came out Simplicity orange! :hide:

I would bet a clear coat over the top it would shine like a baby's bottom!

Con is when it's applied you can't  have anything that melts on it cause it bakes in a 400deg. oven after its put on. Mean no seals, bearings, plactic knobs etc.

Going to check it out with the member here that does it, Thanks Jason

Brian01

I printed my Electro 12 with Int' Harvester Red, tractor paint in a rattle can...I personally love the color...check out my post in Restoration thread..."68 electro 12"

c-series don

Ok I will post this one more time. I spoke with Cecil Pond personally about this and he said "there is no official Wheel Horse red" The color has varied over the years because years ago mixing paint was not the exact science it is today with computerized mixing. He noted that from time to time the shades varied. So that being said whatever red you like is YOUR Wheel Horse red !!!

Maxie

I am not repainting the complete tractor. Just the mower deck and the running boards.  The tractor has faded some and I was wondering what paint some of you have used the comes close to matching the rest of the tractor.

rmaynard

If you want to match the rest of the faded tractor, you will have to take a piece of the metal that you want to duplicate, and have an automotive paint store match it. Then, if you are lucky, it will be close. Just do a search for Wheel Horse red and you will get many opinions. 

Good luck!

bob's toy

I bead blasted a small panel from the 1267 I am doing a total frame up restoration on and after priming, I got several reds from the hardware store. I sprayed each color on each side and it looks to me that Velspar IH red came out as close as anything else I tried. There are a few places on my tractor with the original paint without too much fading and it is very close. Also growing up on the farm we had several Farmal and other IH tractors that were faded out and aged to perfection and when I first saw my WH it reminded me of the old tractors back on the farm. I believe most of the guys on here that are in the KNOW are totally correct, Just use a good quality paint. Take the time to prep well and the red you chose is YOUR Wheel Horse Red.

JP 141

Rustoleum Sunrise Red looks nice on my Tractor and Blade.  Check the topic "ready for lake effect snow" to see the color on mine, Hood, Fender, whole plow is this color.

Edited by JP 141
additional info and pic