LJCVT

Eaton Model 7 HYDROSTATIC TRANSMISSION parts

LJCVT

I have a 1986 C-120A that I am working on restoring and have looked every where but here for parts for the hydrostatic transmission.
I purchased the tractor and attempted to drain the oil from the hydrostatic transmission. Finding the cap all torn to pieces from people trying to unscrew it in the normal Counterclockwise direction I assumed it to be left hand thread and managed to remove it by means of driving a punch into it and turning it out in the correct direction. After removel I can see that previous attempts at removel have resulted in the cap being forced down to hard and the sealing surface no longer makes contact even with the flat o-ring present and the transmiission leaks oil like a sieve.

My question is where do i find a new or replacment cap, I believe the part number from Eaton is 112621 however this yields no results in toro's parts lookup.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks

shallowwatersailor

Can you clarify what tractor you have.

Diesel1050

He said it is a 1986 C-120A. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

LJCVT

Can you clarify what tractor you have.

This is indeed a 1986 C-120 Model #21-12KE01 and it has an eaton Model 7 Hydrostatic transmission with a left hand thread drain plug that I am looking to replace.

LJCVT

He said it is a 1986 C-120A. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Thank you Diesel for the clarification i also followed up with the Model number in case there may be any confusion on my part. Model#21-12KE01

Dennys502
I found several places that have the part for a around 16.00 Just do a search for Toro 112621. individual parts will not show up in Toro's parts list - they are all assemblies.

shallowwatersailor

You have a 1986 Wheel Horse 312-A. The C-Series was last produced in 1984.

That has a transmission and transaxle that have two separate fluid systems. The transmission is under the plastic cap with the reservoir. It will take 20W or 30W motor oil. The transaxle uses 10W-30 motor oil. I have one exactly like this and trying recall the left-hand thread?

LJCVT

You have a 1986 Wheel Horse 312-A. The C-Series was last produced in 1984.

That has a transmission and transaxle that have two separate fluid systems. The transmission is under the plastic cap with the reservoir. It will take 20W or 30W motor oil. The transaxle uses 10W-30 motor oil. I have one exactly like this and trying recall the left-hand thread?

Thank you, I am very new to this adventure in Wheel Horse and I still have not figured out the best way of getting information in regards to model number versus serial number. I checked with a local toro dealer and he lookd it up as well, you are correct in that I was wrong labeling it a C-120A when it is a 312A.
I do have another older 1977 Wheel horse that I am also restoring that I believe is a C-120 but that has the 8 speed transmission. (71-12K80) I have an even older one that I am unsure what to do with as well that one is a 10 HP (1-0470) not sure what year?

Thanks for the clarification.

shallowwatersailor

Okay, now let's see what we can do.

Is it the transmission (there isn't a drain plug) at the top with the reservoir that is leaking, or the transaxle leaking from the drain plug at the bottom? The transaxle can use a simple 1/4" NPT plug. The WH one is an allen head so that it is almost flush with the case and won't snag on anything. Sometimes these get frozen in place and are hard to remove. One time I had to use a small pipe wrench to grab it and then replace it..

LJCVT

Okay, now let's see what we can do.

Is it the transmission (there isn't a drain plug) at the top with the reservoir that is leaking, or the transaxle leaking from the drain plug at the bottom? The transaxle can use a simple 1/4" NPT plug. The WH one is an allen head so that it is almost flush with the case and won't snag on anything. Sometimes these get frozen in place and are hard to remove. One time I had to use a small pipe wrench to grab it and then replace it..

The transaxle itself is leaking from the drain plug, I cleaned the area up really good and stuffed a rag under the drain plug, left it and when I came back later it was covered in oil, I believe that because the plastic plug is left hand treah someone mistakingly turned it counterclockwise and deformed the seat area where it make contact with the flat o-ring. This I believe is where the leak is. I cant get it any tighter as the hex has been all rounded over from someone in the past using a pair of channel locks on it. The only option that I have is to just replace the cap.

shallowwatersailor

The transaxle drain plug is not plastic. It is a 1/4" pipe thread plug and not left-hand thread. There isn't an O-ring either.

Check the manual. There are two separate systems. The only plastic is the reservoir and cap for the transmission at the top..

LJCVT

The transaxle drain plug is not plastic. It is a 1/4" pipe thread plug and not left-hand thread. There isn't an O-ring either.

Check the manual. There are two separate systems. The only plastic is the reservoir and cap for the transmission at the top..

There is not a problem with the transaxle, the problem is with the drain plug on the Hydrostatic transmission and it definitly is a white Plasic piece that IS left hand thread. There is no nomentclature within the Parts manual that indicates this drain but, rest assured there is one there on my tractor and its leeking like a sieve.
The transaxle is well covered in the Tractor manual but there is limited information for the parts on the Eaton hydrostatic transmission.
Shown Below it would be part #1 on page 29-30 of the attached PDF.

Just an Update for all, I contacted my local Toro Dealer and they said they can still order this part for less than $20.00 (one is now on order for me), I am hoping that this is true and I can get on with my restoration project.

Eaton Hydrostatic transmission.pdf

Edited by LJCVT
To incude file

bmsgaffer

You may be able to assist us with pictures.

The manual you linked is NOT for your tractor. What you posted is for a vertical shaft engine that has a peerless transaxle. Your's has a unidrive axle with a horizontal shaft engine.

Part # 1 on the PDF's pg 29 and 30 points out the whole pump and motor, and part #1 on the actual numbered page 29 and 30 is a clutch linkage spacer?

There is no drain for the hydrostatic portion of the eaton 7s on wheel horses. If yours has one it was added by a previous owner. And as John said, nothing plastic except for the reservoir, so that could have been done wrong previously as well.

Post us up some pictures and we will get it all cleared up! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by bmsgaffer

LJCVT

You may be able to assist us with pictures.

The manual you linked is NOT for your tractor. What you posted is for a vertical shaft engine that has a peerless transaxle. Your's has a unidrive axle with a horizontal shaft engine.

Part # 1 on the PDF's pg 29 and 30 points out the whole pump and motor, and part #1 on the actual numbered page 29 and 30 is a clutch linkage spacer?

There is no drain for the hydrostatic portion of the eaton 7s on wheel horses. If yours has one it was added by a previous owner. And as John said, nothing plastic except for the reservoir, so that could have been done wrong previously as well.

Post us up some pictures and we will get it all cleared up! :handgestures-thumbupright:

The problem has been solved by my local toro dealer.

LJCVT

The problem has been solved by my local toro dealer, thaks to all that have tried to assist.  If anyone has a pdf manual of the Eaton model 7 Transmission and Wheel Horse transaxle that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

bmsgaffer

Glad to hear it! Can you post the issue with solution?

This is a great place to reference old archived problems, just in case someone has the same problem!

boovuc

Absolutely post what the dealer's fix was when you get a chance. There are many with Eaton 700's that would want to know and thanks!

LJCVT

To end all the disucssion and to provide a fix that worked I am posting again to thank you all for the help you have provided.

ennys502 actually supplied me  with the keys to this mystery as he came up with the part number for the part (shown on right below) that will replace the original part (on left)

Local toro dealer could not find this part Toro #112621 as Dennys502 had stated and was correct. It had to be ordered as Toro Part #112621 and I paid a little over $16.00 dollers including shipping.

Seen in attachment on the left is the old part and on the right is the new part.

As you can see the reason for needed replacement is that the threads are left hand and the previous owner probably did not know the threads where left hand and unintentionally tried to turn it counterclockwise to remove the cap. This resulted in the damage to the sealing surface and the mangled hex used to spin this off.

The hole that is in the old part is my misguided attempt to provide a means of removal by drilling a hole, tapping it and adding a bolt with a nut on the inside to provide purchase point for removal. This worked to screw and unscrew but the damage to the sealing surface was far too severe to reuse the old cap and it kept leaking even with the flat cut o-ring that is used.

The new part works great and does not leak.

Thanks go out to all especially Dennys502.

horse.docx

Edited by LJCVT
No pictures showed up

bmsgaffer

Excellent to hear, thanks for the update! I'm still not certain where on the transmission this goes, can @Dennys502 fill us in? Is there actually a drain on the Eaton 7? I have been mislead into believing that it did not exist!

I have posted your pictures here for you:

plug_side1.thumb.png.008bcfc05fa4df394a2

plug_side_2.thumb.png.077611c830c53a48a6

shallowwatersailor

That is the infamous, non-existing drain plug on the transmission portion of the Eaton 7. It is on the bottom of the housing, 180 degrees from the reservoir.

Thanks for following through with the information.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

LJCVT

Usually this transmission is turned the other way from the configuration that I have in my tractor that would put this plug and the intended use of the port (for an expansion tank) on the top instead of the bottom.
 On the opposite side of the transmission (on my machine and facing up)  is the normal smaller 1/4 NPT drain plug, again on my machine configuration this 1/4 port is used for the expansion tank.

It really does not matter what configuration the transmission is in it will work fine either way as long as there is room for oil expansion.

Edited by LJCVT
  • Like 1