Sign in to follow this  
snowhound

529xi info needed

snowhound

I am looking at a 520xi that is listed as having a bad woodruff key slot on the left drive wheel so the wheel slips.  What else should I be looking at the seller says the engine runs good and doesn't burn oil.

Ed

snowhound

I looked at the tractor and walked away from it.  The axle and hub are shot and overall it looked like the tractor didn't get much loving the thing that turned me off the most was the rear of the transmission was covered in oil and the owner said it had been like that for a long time.  The engine does sound good if someone is looking for one.

Ed

shallowwatersailor

Ed, I was almost finished with this when you posted the "walk away" message.

One of our members, Lars, had to replace an axle on a 5xi. I would suggest sending him a PM for information. I think that it was $$$. If the old woodruff key hasn't ruined the slot, it shouldn't be much other than maybe a new hub and woodruff key. Sometimes the axle seals go bad as well.

Check the front end as that is about the only place that shows wear. I have heard of the pin pivot for the axle breaking the weld. I had to tighten the tierods on my 523Dxi when I bought it last year. If it has more than 600 hours it probably will need the baffles around the heads cleaned from grass clippings. It is recommended to do it every 200 hours. 

Nice strong tractors with good ergonomics and capability.

snowhound

The axle is damaged so much that the woodruff key will not stay in what was the slot, I didn't remove the hub but the wheel isn't square with the ground because dia. of the axle hole in the hub is now oversize.  For the price, $250, you could turn a profit parting it out. It comes with a snow plow that looks like it hasn't had any use and wheel weights that have never been installed.  If anyone is interested I can give you contact information if you PM me.  It is located in Monson, MA it's listed in the Western MA Craigs List

Ed

maxed500

wow.  if  was closer i would be hauling it home.  one way looks like 1200 miles