zieg72

Fastenal?

zieg72

I've been trying to get Fastenal to quote shipping?  Do they not want the business?  Do you have to hound them for a quote?

shallowwatersailor

I have never used Fastenal but my experience has been 50/50 on quotes. The first time I never heard back, and the second time I received a quote within a day. I never completed the purchases so it didn't matter and can't speak any further about them.

You might consider re-submitting the whole request.

WNYPCRepair

it took a week or two for me to get a quote. they quoted me $150 from Danbury CT to Buffalo, NY for a C195 and a 60" deck, if that helps. 

rmaynard

I have never had any problem. I have shipped with them three times. Once I initiated the paperwork, the other two times it was started by the receiving party. I used the link that Craig posted above, and within hours I had a quote or an inquiry to clarify details. The only time that I had an issue was when I wanted to send something to Denver, Co. They are too busy at the Colorado locations to take 3PL shipments. Must be all that marijuana. :banana-dreads:

• Like 4

squonk

I think all of that Mary G Wanna has trickled down to my local Fastenal.:banana-dreads::banana-rock: :banana-dreads: What a bunch of Hosebags in there. No help at all and that's when buying fasteners! :confusion-confused::confusion-confused::confusion-confused:

baerpath

I've used them 6 times in the past yr. Had one shipment get waylaid but it did get to me eventually. When I did get it (6 weeks late Mn to NY by way of NC) they dropped the shipping cost for their mistake. No other problems 

zieg72

Thanks for the advice, I just called the store to initiate.  I will use the link

• Like 1

rmaynard

@zieg72  I find that most of the clerks in the store don't even know what 3PL shipping is. All the managers should. 

@squonk  If you have trouble with the help in the store, call Fastenal's toll-free number. There is a store liaison who will address the problem. I had a clerk laugh at me when I asked for 1/4-20 x 1" dog-point set screws. Then she said "oh no, we don't have whatever that is". I looked around, and when I came back to the counter with what I was looking for, she was a bit embarrassed. She no longer is employed there.

• Like 2

squonk

I had something similar happen but it was the manager that did it,. I think she got the job by the color if her hair. Another girl from there stopped at the shop wanting to stock our nut and olt bin. Said they beat everyone's prices. We got a quote and Grainger was cheaper and the're hosing us! :angry-tappingfoot:

KC9KAS

I have used Fastenal 3 times and have had pretty good luck.
Once they shipped something to my buyer that I didn't send and there was confusion there, but they did get the correct item to my buyer...Always wondered who was missing another red part though!

I used the 3rd party web address that Craig posted and get a response within 24 hours. Had lots of quotes but not all sales were made.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

That's right Ken !  Fastenal coordinates the shipping from the website with a small staff that does the work.  The stores just  use their  forklifts  and storage.  The await the next truck delivering parts and load the shipment .  The stores just receive a fax or electronic confirmation that you are shipping something out when it is completed.    My store had not done many of these before I sent a mower deck to Pennsylvania.    Don't expect enlightenment at the local store regarding this very reasonable and convenient shipping option!

AMC RULES
Nothing but good experiences everytime I've used their shipping. 

zieg72

Frustrating.  Got to the store and of course there is one fairly new employee, had no idea on shipping, I had to explain it to her.  5 customers had to come first, then move a truck to get the fork truck out.  ARGHHH.  Got er done though.

zieg72

yep, the buyer did all the arranging.  Trying to explain what I was trying to do to an employee was the problem....  I know what I need to do from now.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Yep, sometimes there is a translation issue but ive had good luck on my three shipments.

Always quick and cheap!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I think I always get a paper to print and take along to the local store so there isn't any confusion on what is going on.