snowmoboyle

What a Find...

snowmoboyle

Returned home Sunday night from a long 4 day weekend adventure - 6 hour road trip, van breaking down, son puking in back seat of ma's car we borrowed, oh ya it was a trip.

Sat down at about 9 pm and picked up the local shopper's guide paper.  Once in a while there's a deal - but considering the paper arrives Saturday at noon, and the neighbor is worse then I am at searching, I usually don't take the time.  That night things were different....

There it was - 1997 520H Wheelhorse, 44" snowblower, weights, chains, Cab, mower deck (never used), low hours, runs great. Price was unbelievable. 

Being late I text, got a response.  Said it was 350 hours approximately.  I called, he said he bought it used years back, paid alot of money - didn't use it and gave it to his daughter to use but she just couldn't handle it, too big of a tractor.  Set up a time to view it - thinking someone else would sneak in to grab it.  Thats ok, got plenty of bills and wasn't sure how to pay for it anyways.

But alas, it was still there when I arrived Monday night.  As I pulled up the driveway, I could see it parked in the garage.  I knew it was going home with me.  

But the guy was way off on the hours...... there were only 116.......

Wow - as my buddy put it, sometime God just smiles at you - 

So the entire package:

1997 520-H
Original Brand tractor cab, with rear lights
44" Two Stage WH Blower
Front Mount Kit
42" RD Deck
(Mower deck and front mount kit never used)
Rear wheel weights
Front wheel weights
Chains
Rear ballast box

Anyone have a ballpark of what this cost in 1997? I think the brochure showed $5295 and I'm thinking that was just the tractor correct?

• Like 8

alswagg

Awesome!!!!!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Wow wow wow, your the king. Thats the best, best luck story I ever heard. Best of luck, and yes, that dollar amount was just the tractor, rear weights 150, mower deck 800 i think, snow blower 1400, front weights, dont know, chains 125, snow cab a grand. Not 100 percent sure on the prices, but fairly close. A beauty. Thanks for sharing that story, best of luck to. Mr lucky,,,,,lol

glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sorry, the most important, wellcome  to red square. Others will go crazy on this great find.

Glenn

papaglide

Wow, holy crap, freakin awesome, unbelievable, you're kidding right?, no way, for real? dude thats incredible. 
All that went thru my mind as I read your post. Great score my man!

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Wow, that is the find of a lifetime. 

KC9KAS

You found a really complete, great deal!
Very nice.

Tankman
Geeze, such a deal! Sounds like a dream!

Darn, I need to find a deal like that. Prayin'.

Ken B

Don't know what ya paid but I'll take your word for it that you got a deal. What an awesome find! I'm sure you will be putting that big two stage blower to good use this winter...

Coadster32

You really stepping in it. Welcome to RS!

Racinbob

Awesome fine. That thing barely looks used.

WHX??

Your up by Ashland right??? Thats way too much tractor for you to handle....too big....wifes's probably poed at you:bitch:.....better let me help you out with those bills....I'll come and take it off your hands......only an hour away.....:D

Seriously...nice find.... I suppose your gonna tell us it fired right up and purred like a kitten too, I would say at least 8-9 g's in '97..... that was some change serious change for a tractor back then. Please make us all cry:crying-yellow: and tell us what you had to give for the package!

muz123

Nice Find!!!! the front mower deck is really rare too! Good luck!!

• Like 1

snowmoboyle

I suppose your gonna tell us it fired right up and purred like a kitten too, 

Well, it did fire right up and drive on the trailer, idled like it just came off the assembly line.... if thats what you were looking for? :)

Helping pack up for a trip, I will add to my wheel horse history / story -

slovinski

Winner Winner chicken dinner.......great find!

WHX??

Have a good trip snowmo.
..hope the kids don't get sick.....
....still wanna know what ya had to give!!!

857 horse

OK,,,,,,IM SICK NOW......

CONGRATS ON THE FIND OF A LIFE TIME....

AND YES..............WELCOME TO REDSQUARE.......

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice Find!!!! the front mower deck is really rare too! Good luck!!

You just taught me something, I didnt know what the heck that was. Thanks, live and learn.

Glenn

• Like 1

Jrblanke

Congratulations!!! That front mount mower deck is pretty cool!

Man! you basically got a new tractor!!!

• Like 1

snowmoboyle

It's just crazy - I keep opening the garage and just smiling.  

As far as how much I paid, let's just say a gentleman never tells.... LOL

You wouldn't believe me anyway!

I ran out of steam, I will be bacheloring it tomorrow night (No she didn't leave because I bought the tractor) so I will have to write more then.  

Did they make a 520 in 1998 or is this the last year for the model? 

WHX??

i'm hip to that smiling thing... if it were in my garage I would be smiling all night cause that where she would have me sleeping if I brought it home.

Could that be some kind of commercial deck with the front casters on it like that? Looks awful HD for residentail?

Racinbob

Jim, those casters are part of the front deck carrier and not the deck itself. Definitely stout.

nappypappy

WOW and WOW and WOW......you one lucky man..

snowmoboyle

So basically I began my life on WH in 1992.  We bought a 312 Classic with 42" SD and a single stage blower because our neighbor had a 1985 Classic 312 and loved it.  Did alot of mowing - had 7 mowing jobs through high school.  Graduated in 97, moved away and didn't have a rider until last summer.  Meanwhile dad sells our 312 with 1300 hours on it, and buys a 1997 520-H to upgrade. I'm jealous....in fact his, when he bought it, it was 2003 or so? 2004? It had only 200 hours on it - 

Last summer after moving up here family gives me a 10-32 rear engine.  A beater, but cuts awesome.  I'm 6'2 and a little fluffy, and that little thing makes me look even more fluffy.....Too big of yard for a push mower now!

Then I decide a need a bigger mower.  $300 for a old wheelhorse close to my dad's.  Blower included.  Hey why not?  Guess what - it's the neighbors 312 from 1985.  He passed, the son had it and beat the living snot out of it.  Hour meter broke at 878 or so, I'm guessing it has a million from the looks of it. But it runs!  Dad said he'll go through it.  Good guy to, he kept up that 92 model of ours great.  Well, dad didn't keep track of the parts cost, and $500 later he's got my total purchase up to $800.  Eh, still not bad. New blades, spindles, belts- it's ready to rock!

But then I'm on Craigslist..... and what do I see? Posted 15 minutes ago - in Rhinelander where I used to live.... 1988  Model 520, snowblower, cab, runs good, $450.  That doesn't seem right.  I email, turns out guy I know.  Ends up here - no mower deck but a two stage blower!  Wow that'll move the snow!!!!  

After a helacious winter in 2013/2014 I figured now I was ready.  Well, didn't need it. Booo.  Dad wants to tinker with it, he does some painting on rusty parts, and replaces a shorting out key switch.  Just got it back last weekend.  The weekend I opened the paper and found the tractor above!!!!

As of now I do not have a mower deck for either 520.  the 88 is going up for sale when I finish up a couple things - and the older two stage.  312 is too - burns a little oil but that just adds character.  I found someone whom I am going to trade the 88's snow cab for a 48" deck in good shape - so then that deck will get cleaned up and go under the 1997.  The long range plan is to sell anything not bolted down, and keep my "new" tractor, blower, and cab.  

• Like 2