shallowwatersailor

How Not To Stain a Trailer Floor!

shallowwatersailor

Today Was going to be a cool day compared to the heat wave that we have had for the last week. With a bit more than a week to go for the "Big Show," I decided to stain the floor of my new trailer. Went early to buy the materials and came home to scrub the floor clean. I was just finished and was walking down the ramp when one foot slipped and the other leg ended up under my butt. I then fell the rest of the way to the ground. PAIN! I ended up laying there for a short time while I gathered my wits. My right knee and ankle didn't feel quite right.

I called my wife at work to tell her (1-1/2 hour away) and then tried my neighbor as the other two neighbors weren't home. No answer, so after about fifteen minutes, I decided to try and stand. I was able to get up but my right foot didn't move with my leg. Uh Oh! Hobbled in to put ice on it when my neighbor called back. She came over to bandage me and stayed while my wife came home. 

A trip to Urgent Care to find out that I have broken my fibula. Tomorrow I go see the Orthopedic surgeon for the prognosis. At this point I am certain that I will not be able to drive to the show. Darn!!!

If I can be mobile, I'm hoping that "Mrs. Sailor" could drive me up for Friday. Ironically I was going to mix anti-slip sand into the stain. 

DSCN3192.thumb.JPG.16960aa1dd60937c92e25

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 4

WNYPCRepair

OUCH!!! Hope you heal quickly

• Like 1

KC9KAS

OUCH...Hope you mend quickly, and can make it to the show.

• Like 1

squonk

A late entry to the hard hat award! 

• Like 5

AMC RULES
Darn the luck John!      :helmet:    
But, you're just in time to be another canidate for the :rs:hard hat.   :text-woo:
  • Like 1

rmaynard

I'm thinkin' that maybe the hard hat's going to stay right here in Maryland.

Who'da have thought that when you were up here last Friday, that could have just taken the Red Hard Hat home with you. :ychain:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

stevebo

Sorry to hear that. My ramp is very slippery when wet. I was just telling my son that I need to paint it with sand paint. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Bummer John, sorry to hear this.   Take care and heal quickly my friend.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Wow...that stinks. Sorry to hear this. Very ironic indeed about the sand for no-slip surface.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Sorry to hear that John. Here's to a speedy recovery. Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Dang John that absolutely sucks.  Sounds like you were lucky and had a phone with you.  I already know how painful that is.  Why did you leave your sea legs in the house???  Heal fast my friend...hope to see you at the show.  I think we all will want to sign your cast.  :)

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

After seeing the orthopedic surgeon this morning, surgery is Wednesday morning. My ankle is swollen enough to look like I am firmly rooted to the ground!  I guess I really did a number as the ligament was torn and the break will require a metal plate. Supposedly it will heal quicker by performing the surgery, and have less chance of arthritis in years to come. The bummer is approximately 10 weeks until a clean bill of health.  So much for using the 5xi's foot pedals this Summer. Good thing I have the C-145A with the motion control lever that will be next to my cast. :D

• Like 2

JC 1965

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope your surgery and recovery goes well.    

• Like 2

stevasaurus

OK...make sure they give you a smooth cast so we can order decals from Vinalguy.  :)  You really did do a number on it.  

• Like 2

squonk

John, you can ride through the parade in my dump trailer. I promise not to hit the lever! :):confusion-seeingstars:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

John, what a fiasco. Allways the wrong time to. I like the new boots, but you forgot your sock. Hope you feel better.

Glenn

shallowwatersailor

John, what a fiasco. Allways the wrong time to. I like the new boots, but you forgot your sock. Hope you feel better.

Glenn

This poor foot is taking a beating. It's the same foot that I had my toe surgery on last year and now this. I didn't want to post the photo without the boot as this is a family site!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Good idea John.    Some of us may be eating while viewing these posts.:o:eek:

JimD

Wishing you a speedy recovery John.

Zeek

That stinks, sorry to hear.  I think all of us with ramp doors have just about broke our neck at some point when they are wet. I stained mine as well and almost did it the other day :-?

shallowwatersailor

I went for what should have been my first post-op with the surgeon today. Last week I had to have the original surgical splint removed due to the pain it was causing. I have been in an Aircast immobilizing boot since then. It is about 50% better but my poor calf, heel, and toes are taking a beating. The ankle is healing well and I will start physical therapy next week.

But there has been another casualty to this fiasco. After breaking my ankle, I couldn't put the equipment I was using that day away properly. My wife cleared a path so she could use the garage. A storm came through the other night and my wife mentioned that a branch had fallen on "Hopalong," the C-105. Today after returning from the doctor, I looked over at it. Something didn't look right! The branch had fallen on end and dented the once flat-hood Blackhood. I have pulled branches out of the ground up to six inches deep so this must have hit with some force. What surprised me was that it appeared to have a clear coat which is the rippling at the edge of the red to black paint. Good thing it wasn't a JD plastic hood as it would have gone through to the engine.
WP_20150709_001.thumb.jpg.7f4f9e9f9b1adaWP_20150709_002.thumb.jpg.e1a286ffe34b8b

AMC RULES
Just like you John...
that ol'  :wh: is a survivor.

rmaynard

You know what they say John, "when it rains, it pours". 
Glad you are on the mend. Sorry for the hood damage.

Let me know when you are feeling up to it and we can get together for coffee and a t-shirt delivery.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Glad to hear you are healing. Just got my wife home yesterday from the rehab facility. My living room is set up like a hospital room, bed and all. I have to do some carpentry on the wheel chair ramp today, the one they bought is too short, so I need to extend it.

If I were closer, and my wife wasn't crippled, I would volunteer to help fix your hood.  :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES
:blink:  Aren't you up jogging on that thing yet... 
how's it going John?
   :lol:
  • Like 1