Solex

New Battery Requirements

Solex

My recent upgrade from an 8 to a Magnum 12 has put a strain on my old battery. So much so it is time to go shopping for a new one. It still gives 12.5 volts in the beginning, but quickly dies and does not have the cranking power any longer to turn the engine over. Therefore, what would be the minimum cold cranking amps required in a battery for this Kohler Magnum 12?

MikesRJ

Depends on which tractor, and if wintertime use will be expected as well, but Kohler recommends (RE: page 7: http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/52_590_03.pdf)  for the Magnum 12, a minimum of 250 CCA. Personally, I use my machine for blowing and plowing snow, so I'd go with something like a 275-350 size. Cold will run a battery's CCA down a lot faster than wear and tear. Winter is when the CCA rating really matters.

Edited by MikesRJ

bmsgaffer

Make sure your charging system on the tractor is working first. You could kill another battery quick if not.

You should see between 13v and 16v at the battery when the engine is running.

wrightorchid

Advanced Auto and other places can do a test/load test on it, and see if there is a bad cell or something.  I too agree, with the higher CCA rating.  It does not cost much more, and unless you have a temp controlled area, not too hot, not too cold, it should be more reliable.

oaktown1987

Hey solex what happened to the 8 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk