Fordiesel69

OT: Echo or Stihl Trimmer. What would you buy?

HokieAg07

Red Max should also be considered. Commercial grade units. I work for a large grounds maintenance company and we use and also sell Red Max. We have used the other brands but find the least issues with RedMax

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Went with the Echo SRM-225 as it is identical to my GT-225 should I need to swap any parts way later down the road; like carb, ign coil, clutch, etc.... 

The power is acceptable, and they must gear the head differently than the GT-225, as it is just a tad more powerful.  Overall I really like the trimmer feel, but it could use more power.  The STHIL was more powerful for the price, but it did not feel well built.

midpack

My PAS-266 is a beast... but about $100 more just for the trimmer head

Fordiesel69

Redmax looked intriguing, but no dealers in my area support the product.  Echo, stihl, and huskq all seem to have the best support.

• Like 1

Forest Road

I've always had good luck w Stihl. Currently own 3 saws and 2 trimmers and a backpack blower. I had Husky saws in the past. I can't buy Husky parts locally. Now having 2 stihl dealers within 1.5 miles of home its a no brainier. Another Stihl dealer near our vacation home. Why would I use anything else? Personally both products being equal just go w you gut. Did I mention my preferred Stihl dealer is also my WH dealer? Also own a Redmax blower, my WH carriers them as well. My dealer would sell you a Stihl trimmer before a Redmax. Says Redmax isn't what they were a few years ago. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wh500special

Echo makes great stuff.  I have 2 saws, 1 trimmer, 2 water pumps, a hedge clipper, a blower, and an engine powered drill.  All are well-used and still run like new.  Dad still uses the 24 year old curved shaft trimmer (GT2100) weekly.  Never a hiccup, never a problem.  Use good oil, and they last for years.

I think the newer stuff runs a little leaner than the old stuff for emissions reasons.

Did you notice the trimmer head spins the opposite direction from your GT curved shaft?  That took me by surprise when I switched from a GT to an SRM260 10 year ago.  I think they offer a "high torque" version of some of them that has a deeper gear reduction.

Even without the split boom, you can still equip your trimmer with other accessories.  They offer a tiller/cultivator attachment and I think they sell (sold?) an edger as well.

Steve

• Like 1

oaktown1987

Stihl all the way had for 10 years never a problem you should try a dolmar Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can whlvr

my sthil dealer is my toro dealer also

Fordiesel69

After having this beast for a bit now, there is one major drawback.  The factory turns the head counterclockwise, unlike the curved shaft models turn clockwise.  This may not seem like any big deal, however being right handed, and preferring the engine to be on my right side of my body, with right hand operating the throttle, all the weeds, rocks, and debris all come flying directly at you.  The solution is to hold it on your left which for someone right handed, feels super awkward.  I did not give this much thought, but would have passed had I paid more attention.  I would have special ordered the longer curved shaft model.

Echo really has a secret getting the power out of that small 21cc engine.  It performs like comparable 25cc models.