MikesRJ

Hooking up a trickle Charger Connection

MikesRJ

I know this topic was covered several times before, but I searched the forum for about an hour and cannot find any of the old posts. Here's my dilemma.

Since the local mice really liked the taste of my '73 10-8 wiring harness, and I pretty much have to fabricate an entirely new one, I'd like to add a connector for a trickle charge connection. I seem to remember hearing there was an issue as to where to actually make the charging connection, as doing so incorrectly caused a feedback loop to the regulator, which could damage the $50-$75 regulator. I suspect there was an addition of a diode somewhere to prevent this loop, but like I said, I cannot find any of the old posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wiring-Diagram.thumb.png.b61f1cb25ff0fb9

Edited by MikesRJ
  • Like 1

oldredrider

After a quick look at the wiring diagram, as long as the key switch is OFF, there should be no loop to the regulator. 

MikesRJ

Agreed. I just seem to remember there being a safety issue and someone posted a fix for it. I was originally just going to add two wires to the battery terminals and run them to a connector off the side of the machine, then I got to thinking about it (a scary thing, mind you). :)

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I haven't been on here as long, but I don't recall hearing of any safety issues with trickle chargers.

With the Key off there is no issue, and even with the key on the rectifier/regulator has diodes inside of it, you wont blow it up with a trickle charger. If you could then anytime anyone ever jump started a tractor they would blow up their regulator, which doesn't happen. And anyway if you did leave the key on you'd have a bigger problem by possibly blowing up the coil!

Just red to (+) and black to (-) and you'll be good to go! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JC 1965

I agree with Brandon, I've been using a battery tender for several years on my tractor that I use to push snow. It stays on charge anytime that the tractor is not in use. I have had no problems with it. I always make sure that I remove the key from the ignition switch so I don't accidentally leave the switch in the on position. I left the key in the on position on another tractor several years ago and fried the coil.    :(

• Like 1

mels

I second the Battery Tender brand charger.  I have one for each piece of battery started equipment I own.  They come with their own pigtail with ring connectors that connect directly to your battery clamps.  Foolproof.  And as as testimonial, the batteries in two of my old Shovelheads as well as my Generator are pushing 10 years each and fire right up like they were just installed yesterday. 

• Like 1

MikesRJ

Thanks for all the input. :)