JamesC-120

Whats my wheel horse?

JamesC-120

I just bought this wheel horse today for $100. It looks to be in decent shape(not rusted through anywhere). I am not sure what model it is. The model tag has the numbers ripped off so I could not read it. It would be very helpful to know the model before the restoration. If you have any clues that would be great. 

DSCF9386.JPG

DSCF9387.JPG

DSCF9388.JPG

DSCF9389.JPG

DSCF9390.JPG

DSCF9392.JPG

DSCF9393.JPG

DSCF9394.JPG

DSCF9395.JPG

DSCF9400.JPG

• Like 6

cleat

Can't tell you the model but I do know you go a great deal.

That motor alone is worth more.

Cleat

slammer302

looks like a RJ58 if i had to guess

• Like 2

wallfish

slammer is dead on, It is an RJ-58

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Should be a code, cast on top of the trans, right side...next to the shifter.
What's your number?   
:dunno:IMG_3004.thumb.JPG.ef18efede70fe19a65c22
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Nice find. Looks straight. 58 or59 you did good.

JamesC-120

The top of the transmission says A27-9. Already tor down the trans and found a lot of sludge and water but everything seems good except a few bearings. And if it helps at all the transmission has the ball bearing in it not the needle bearings. 

AMC RULES
They say the 9's are rarer than the 8's.   
  • Like 1

JamesC-120

Thanks for all the great help and I am very happy it is a RJ-58 because I thought it was a suburban 400. I like Rj's a lot more. It turns out I will need 1 of the main shaft gears that is in side the differential. I hope racinfool40 will have some for me. I am planning on restoring this thing over the summer. I will definitely post some pics when it is done.

Thanks

• Like 1

Racinbob

Please don't wait until it's done to post pics. Watching the progress is fun. :)

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Great find!
Based on prices in my area you stole that RJ!
As everyone say's we want progress pictures.

JamesC-120

I found it on craigslist and it had been on there a whole day before I saw it and quickly emailed him and he said I could have it. Don't know why he choose me because he said he had 30 people email him. This is what I have done so far. I will need one gear and does anybody have any tricks for getting those ball bearings out of the hole they were pressed into? I got 1 out but it was not easy and it was probably not the smartest way. Also the nut and Allen wrench hole is broken off of the shifter so I can not get it out. I might have to drill it out or try and weld a nut on.

DSCF9401.JPG

DSCF9402.JPG

DSCF9403.JPG

DSCF9404.JPG

DSCF9405.JPG

DSCF9406.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Take a look at this video for removing those bearings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKdpqx6j6tw

Use a chisel to clean up those burrs in the bottom where the bearing seats.  Start soaking that dog point set screw...it is hardened steel and will take a drill bit for that, then an easy out might work.  Welding a nut works also.  :)  Jake Kuhn may have an axle gear for you if racinfool40 does not.

Edited by stevasaurus

gwest_ca

Got a spare battery with a fair bit of charge in it and a set of booster cables?

Clean that cast boss up that the set screw is in so a booster cable clamped to it will make a good electrical connection and the other end to one battery post.

Shine up the end of the broken set screw. Place a spare piece of steel rod or flat stock you don't care about in the other booster cable and the other end of the cable to the other battery post. It is going to arc and spark when you hold the steel rod to the set screw for a count of about two. Battery current will try to flow through the set screw, through the rust to the cast iron. The rust is resistance to current flow and will create heat right where you want it. Let it cool because it will be hot. You might be able to thread the set screw out with your fingers because it was loose in the threads when it was installed. You may need to try a second time. Often the rust will blow out as soon as the current hits it.

Garry

• Like 6

RedRanger

I hope you were wearing a mask when you took that off the guys hands.
:ph34r:

I can never find deals like that.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Garry, that is the most incredible piece of information I have ever heard.  I need to find a rusted tranny now so I can try that.  Absolutely unreal...thanks .  :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:  A video showing how that works...  :scared-shocked: :text-woo:
would be better than watching paint dry any day of the week. 
  • Like 2

Racinbob

I do believe I'm seeing an issue with your case James. On the bottom left side the rear 'ear' where the sideplate bolt goes is snapped off.

• Like 1

JamesC-120

I will definitely try the battery thing because it sounds awesome if it works. I will video it and post it if it works. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. 

• Like 1

82Caddy

I found it on craigslist and it had been on there a whole day before I saw it and quickly emailed him and he said I could have it. Don't know why he choose me because he said he had 30 people email him. This is what I have done so far. I will need one gear and does anybody have any tricks for getting those ball bearings out of the hole they were pressed into? I got 1 out but it was not easy and it was probably not the smartest way. Also the nut and Allen wrench hole is broken off of the shifter so I can not get it out. I might have to drill it out or try and weld a nut on.

I was one of those 30 other people :( 

Glad it went to a good home :) 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

RacinBob...his casting is alright...it is showing all 9 bolts.  It just looks like something should be there...believe it is just sludge.  :)

C-101plowerpower

RacinBob...his casting is alright...it is showing all 9 bolts.  It just looks like something should be there...believe it is just sludge.  :)

you sure Dino? it does really look like there is something missing 

case.JPG

Racinbob

Funny Koen. I just did the same thing.

damaged case.JPG

stevasaurus

Dang...I was looking at this side of the casting.  Good eye guys...I totally missed that one.  I guess I am still starry eyed from the Blackhawks game last night. 

Edited by stevasaurus

953 nut

Got a spare battery with a fair bit of charge in it and a set of booster cables?

Clean that cast boss up that the set screw is in so a booster cable clamped to it will make a good electrical connection and the other end to one battery post.

Shine up the end of the broken set screw. Place a spare piece of steel rod or flat stock you don't care about in the other booster cable and the other end of the cable to the other battery post. It is going to arc and spark when you hold the steel rod to the set screw for a count of about two. Battery current will try to flow through the set screw, through the rust to the cast iron. The rust is resistance to current flow and will create heat right where you want it. Let it cool because it will be hot. You might be able to thread the set screw out with your fingers because it was loose in the threads when it was installed. You may need to try a second time. Often the rust will blow out as soon as the current hits it.

Garry

Gloves and face shield PLEASE! Also stay away from the battery in case it decides to blow up, otherwise a great suggestion.