shallowwatersailor

Vredestein V-61

shallowwatersailor

I have developed a slow leak in one front Titan 16x7.50-8 tire on the 523Dxi. I will be replacing them with Vredestein V-61 rib tires to provide better steering when using the snowthrower. My problem is the stock tire is what I would call an odd size and only a turf pattern is available. The V-61 comes in two applicable sizes (I know there is a six inch as well) 16x6.50-8 and 18x8.50-8. Has anyone purchased both sizes for their tractors? I am inclined to go with the 18x8.50-8 as I feel that the original size is a bit small for the additional weight of the diesel. My concern is with leveling the mower deck with the larger tire. It is close to two inches extra diameter (.9" rise).

• V-61 16x6.50-8 =  16.7" diameter and 6.7" width
  • V-61 18x8.50-8 =  18.3" diameter and 8.3" width
  • Carlisle Turf Master = 16.5" Diameter and 7.0" width
Edited by shallowwatersailor

Dennys502
I'm not sure which deck you have but it should have plenty of adjustment for that. The blade tip is well behind the centerline of the front tire so it will only rise about .625 if it were 16 inches behind the center of the tire.  I have a 60" deck on my 523xi. I lift the front of the tractor off the ground to remove the deck so tire size doesn't matter in that respect. It would be nice to have more ground clearance.

shallowwatersailor
I'm not sure which deck you have but it should have plenty of adjustment for that. The blade tip is well behind the centerline of the front tire so it will only rise about .625 if it were 16 inches behind the center of the tire.  I have a 60" deck on my 523xi. I lift the front of the tractor off the ground to remove the deck so tire size doesn't matter in that respect. It would be nice to have more ground clearance.

​Thanks for doing the math! I have 48" and 52" decks. Front tire clearance isn't an issue, as you know, with the front axle so far forward. My lawn is not the greatest as I have so many trees. They both compete for growth - and the tree canopy usually wins. I was hoping that someone might have a side by side view of the two sizes.

Trouty56

I have the 18 inch ones on my D series.....they are a pretty good sized tire.....definitely will help steering....  Can't do a side by side however.....

shallowwatersailor

I have the 18 inch ones on my D series.....they are a pretty good sized tire.....definitely will help steering....  Can't do a side by side however.....

​Bob, any idea the width of the wheel on the D?

Trouty56

​Bob, any idea the width of the wheel on the D?

​pretty sure mine are 7 inches wide.....
post-1933-0-29180800-1325892733_thumb.jp

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 3

Martin

The smaller size (16 x 6.50-8) works better with the standard wh front wheels (5.38 wide x 8). over on the JD forum (weekendfreedommachines.com) they talk about the two widths of the v61 tires and their suitability for wheel sizes. general opinion is the 16 x 6.5-8 works with the common 5.38 width and the 18 x 8.50-8 is better suited to the wider JD wheel on the bigger tractors (i think its 7 inch but not positive). as mentioned above the d series Wheelhorses use a wider front wheel. the key for proper fitment is to look at the sidewall profile from the front. those wider tires look right with the wheels on that d pic above this post.

here is a pic with the smaller size on smaller 5.38 wheels (400 series) on my 416....
sidewalls look similar on both, in my opinion both of these pics show proper wheel/tire sizing.

post-4321-0-31509800-1417116409_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

RedRanger

The smaller size (16 x 6.50-8) works better with the standard wh front wheels (5.38 wide x 8). over on the JD forum (weekendfreedommachines.com) they talk about the two widths of the v61 tires and their suitability for wheel sizes. general opinion is the 16 x 6.5-8 works with the common 5.38 width and the 18 x 8.50-8 is better suited to the wider JD wheel on the bigger tractors (i think its 7 inch but not positive). as mentioned above the d series Wheelhorses use a wider front wheel. the key for proper fitment is to look at the sidewall profile from the front. those wider tires look right with the wheels on that d pic above this post.

here is a pic with the smaller size on smaller 5.38 wheels (400 series) on my 416....
sidewalls look similar on both, in my opinion both of these pics show proper wheel/tire sizing.

post-4321-0-31509800-1417116409_thumb.jpg

What Martin said.  Rim width is the deciding factor on tire size.  The 8.50 tires need a wider rim than the 6.50.
So the question is, what size rims do you have?

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I have a feeling that the rim width is 5-3/8". So it looks like I would go with the 16x6.50-8 size.

Another option, after talking with Martin, is to either get a pair of used JD rims; or a thought I had was to convert to a 4-bolt hub and then find 4-hole 8x7 rims. Then I could use the larger size. I have always thought that the front tires should have been larger to help with the visual slant in profile.

Trouty56

I have a feeling that the rim width is 5-3/8". So it looks like I would go with the 16x6.50-8 size.

Another option, after talking with Martin, is to either get a pair of used JD rims; or a thought I had was to convert to a 4-bolt hub and then find 4-hole 8x7 rims. Then I could use the larger size. I have always thought that the front tires should have been larger to help with the visual slant in profile.

I was going to suggest a set of hubs and bolt on rims.....etrailer.com has some pretty good prices and shipping is not bad....I thing the 8X7 rims are on sale....or they were....for 15 bucks.....  I saw 1 inch 5 bolt hubs for 20 plus shipping....I'm sure the 4 bolt are priced the same.....

I really like the look of bolt on rims.......

Charger_side_view.thumb.jpg.e3788832c9c3

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 4

shallowwatersailor

I was going to suggest a set of hubs and bolt on rims.....etrailer.com has some pretty good prices and shipping is not bad....I thing the 8X7 rims are on sale....or they were....for 15 bucks.....  I saw 1 inch 5 bolt hubs for 20 plus shipping....I'm sure the 4 bolt are priced the same.....

I really like the look of bolt on rims.......

Charger_side_view.thumb.jpg.e3788832c9c3

I'll check it out.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Just as a side note to one of your concerns: the V61's in the smaller size are 6ply, so they will have zero problem with the extra weight of the diesel and the snow thrower. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1