jake22si

Inner tube too small?

jake22si

I got sick of having to fill a tire with air whenever i wanted to take my c125 for a spin.  I bought a tube at lowes, its a tireaid brand 16x6.50x8, straight stem.  First it didn't seem like the stem would last long being at an extreme angle like that, and when I had it all together, pumped up the tube, it was extremely skinny and did not come close to the side walls.  I took it out again and put it around the rim and blew it up.  The diameter and height seems good but the width really isn't there, almost half the rim width.  The tube says the correct size right on it so it wasn't in the wrong box.  I compared it to a similar atv tube and confirmed it seemed much skinnier.  Any one else have this problem?

pacer

It'll be perfectly fine --- I have a motorcycle tube in a 15" on the back of one of my D's, talk about skinny! Its been in there 3-4 years. I was recently looking for 8" tubes on the bay and saw several distributors showing tubes for a range of 4 different size tires, saw a couple even showing different rim diameters! Remember when you went to the lake with inner tubes? and how big we would blow them up? same thing in your tire.

• Like 2

jake22si

I'm afraid the valve stem will get sheared off.  Its blown up all the way and won't set the sidewalls?

jake22si

Added a pic

image.jpg

Racinbob

You need to inflate them until the bead pops on the rim then adjust the pressure. You'll be fine. Don't fret over the tube size in the picture. It will fill out the tire nicely. :)

• Like 2

pacer

Yeah, what Bob said --- thats pretty common. The tubes valve stem will/should be just slightly facing to one side or other, put it closet to the hole. You'll have to have a means of keeping the stem from slipping back inside the tire, there is a tool for that - but if you dont have one I have been known to lightly clamp a pair of vise grips on to it til I can get the tire popped out and have some air in the tube to keep it in place.

jake22si

Seems if I inflate it any more it would pop, in the pic it is inflated quite a bit.

Racinbob

You don't want to get too much pressure in it without being in a tire. Just go ahead and install it. Make sure there's nothing inside the tire that could puncture it and that it won't get pinched in the bead. Pump her up until the bead seats and then adjust the pressure. It may take 30-40 psi to seat it. It's just the way it's done and it won't blow.

• Like 1

jake22si

got it.  just didn't seem right.  

pacer

Adding a bit to what Bob said about taking the pressure up to get the tire to 'seat' in the rim -- I have had an occasional tire be stubborn about seating and would take as much as 50+ psi (and yes I get nervous about this time!!) What I wanted to alert you to is when it finally does seat it can make a rather startling "POP!!" so be expecting it -- honestly most often 20-30psi will do it and the pop isnt much.

By the way, get some of the wifes dish detergent (Dawn is the goodest!) and smear it around the tire bead, it'll act as a lubricant...

• Like 2

Racinbob

got it.  just didn't seem right.  

Trust us. Once you do one you'll be looking for another one to do. :)

857 horse
lolololo   ......telling someone there tube is gonna pop and say its ok.......to a person that has never done it...
tube stretch and brain stress................ can yeah feel it....

think thats scary...???   look at my avatar pic....a 6 inch hub cap on a 12 inch wheel horse rear wheel...

it will be at the Big Show...                       BE THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Spareparts

It's rubber it will stretch, it's better to stretch than to big because to will fold inside the tire and that fold will dry rot and fail prematurally
 these guys are giving good advice.