Sign in to follow this  
perry

help with c160 hydro

perry

i just picked up a decent c-160 automatic with hydro lift. what is the correct fluid for the rear end and lift. i have seen some mixed reviews about using type-F , dextron III, and 10w30. this one looks like it has hydraulic oil in it and the tractor seems sluggish compared to my 877. i run dextron trans fluid in my 877 with no promblems....yet. and where is the hydro release valve?. is it the screwdriver slot stud on the lower left side?.

also, do you think a auto parts store will have a replacement hydro cartridge/filter.

thanks......perry

Sparky

I've only had one Sundstrand auto tranny tractor and it took ATF. My newer C-125 auto with an Eaton 1100 uses 10w-30. The Sundstrand I had was a 1971 or 72 Charger 12 and the relief valve was a small lever under the fender pan that you turned a half twist to free wheel and back a half twist to drive. I was told NEVER to engage or disengage the auto tranny with the motor runnin and the drive belt engaged. It had nothing to do with it taking off on ya (although thats a good reason also) but rather it wasnt good for the tranny. My Charger had the rear fender that was hinged so the valve lever was easy to get to. My D-160 has the slotted stud type of release valve and its on the left side.

Mike

nylyon

Like Mike said, the C160 uses ATF Type A which is tough to come by now adays but Champion Brands still makes it. The valve is located about midway down the front of the left rear fender (if memory serves correctly). My Dad had a C160 Automatic new in 74, you've got a great tractor there, and we want to see some pictures!

Autoparts stores may have a filter, but I think you're best to get one from a Toro dealer there are differences with the passages and some of the aftermarket ones have relief valves which the Toro doesn't.

Rollerman

Perry the Sundstrand on the C160 is a much heavier unit than the one on your 877

The C160 used a piston to piston pump...it worked much better than the early Sundstrands....but not as good as an Eaton

I've been useing Fram PF16 filters...can buy 4 for the price my dealer wants for a Horse filter.

I have a Sundstrand manual on file & shows all 72 & prior "& some 73" use Dexron ll.....73 & later use 10W30 or 10W40

The tow valve is tricky to get to and above where & faceing forward about where the brake band would be on a gear box tractor.

perry

i have the sunstrand manual copied from toro. but i did not see where it talks about the fluid. what page # is that on?. also i just picked up a B-100 yesterday. :D ill have pics later.

c-160

sawMAYebay025.jpg

sawMAYebay026.jpg

nylyon

Nice C-160 auto, I am pretty sure that it is type-A, that is what I remember using when my dad has his. It might just be what he told me needed to be in there, but it did work and work very nicely. I've been looking to get me a 160-Auto for my little guy. In my opinion, it is the best WH made, but I do like my 416 a lot too!

Rollerman

Perry if you bring up the Sunstrand manual it's in supplement 2 at the very beginning.....about the 3rd/4th page down.

Nylon I have never had any luck tracking down plain "type A ATF"....& have got the funny looks at the auto parts places to prove it.

I have early Wheelhorse auto manuals that do call for it too & know at one time it was used.

But if you look at the back of a bottle of Dexron ll it will say it's compatible in systems requireing type A...or something of the sort.

I currently have a later style C160 auto with the piston to piston type sunstrand trans & it uses 10W30.

I say mine is the later style because it has no hood ornament & the rear fender is bolted down...the early or first C's had a flip fender with a tool box & a hood ornament & probably did not have the piston to piston type trans pump either?

I beleieve the P to P trans was used all the way through the C's ending with the "1".

Then when the C's came out with "5"...ie C165 they "Wheelhorse" had converted to Eaton by then.

Stephen in northern IN...

nylyon

I just pulled this off of the allpar (Mopar website), I had remembered Chryslers used to use Type A.

"Use Dexron II or III fluid. In 1962 Chrysler suggested using Type A, Suffix A fluid, but that fluid has been superceded by Dexron II and III."

The Eaton in my 416 uses 10W-30 or 10W-40.