muz123

Hooking up tiller to 312-H problem

muz123

Im trying to hook up my tiller to my 312-H and whenever i try and put the tiller lift cable through the tube it gets stuck. I blew it out and got all of the dust outand still gets stuck. Any ideas on how to hook it up?How to fix? I noticed the tube is the same as on my 520-H and the cable will go through that.  Maybe the tube is to narrow?

Thanks, Dave

Edited by muz123

KC9KAS

Does it get stuck at the same spot each time you try to push it through?
Is the tube mashed/bent?
Try a coat hanger straightened out and see if it will push through..

• Like 1

muz123

Does it get stuck at the same spot each time you try to push it through?
Is the tube mashed/bent?
Try a coat hanger straightened out and see if it will push through..

​I did try the coat hanger trick. It appears the cable to big is to make it through the bend or its not stiff enough?

Edited by muz123

KC9KAS

Try a little tape on the cable end if it is frayed...maybe a little WD-40 sprayed into the tube...

• Like 1

muz123

Try a little tape on the cable end if it is frayed...maybe a little WD-40 sprayed into the tube...

​I'll have to give that a try, maybe the WD-40 will do the trick! Thanks for the reply!

BESTDOGEVER

If you have an old throttle or choke cable sometimes you can use that like a snaketo clear what ever is blocking is

• Like 2

dennist

I had one that had a similar issue, but when I removed the tube it had worn through at the bend and the ball of the cable would get stuck there.

muz123

I had one that had a similar issue, but when I removed the tube it had worn through at the bend and the ball of the cable would get stuck there.

​I can't get it through both bends, how hard is it to remove the tube?

dennist

​I can't get it through both bends, how hard is it to remove the tube?

Well, that's kinda hard to answer.....if you have no build up of crud under the pump then it is not too bad most of times, BUT I have had a few that have fought me for quite a bit. I use a screw driver and just keep rocking it side to side. 

• Like 1

muz123

I may just use another tractor to till with, but first I'll try WD40.

Wheel-N-It
If you have an electrician friend borrow his fish tape and try to clear the obstruction with that. You could have some kind of insect nest in there.

WNYPCRepair

Harbor Freight sells a cheap nylon fish tape that may work

Wheel-N-It

Harbor Freight sells a cheap nylon fish tape that may work

Nylon may work, however the steel tape can be sharpened to dig out a hard packed nest of dirt. Here where I live we have these wasp like things nicknamed "Mud Dobbers" Those things will build a nest in the most unexpected places such as a empty tube under the fender pan of a wheel  horse.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

If you have an air compressor, try blasting air through the tube...at least this will help you figure out if the tube is blocked or not.
I have tried to "fish" wires through automobile/truck floor boards, frames, headliners and door posts, and some will fight you all the way!
I have run coat hangers through one way, tied a string on and pulled it back and then tied the wire onto the string to pull it through! You have to "outsmart" the problem!

• Like 3