Sign in to follow this  
hodge

Best Wheel Horse model

Jake Kuhn

I like using the front engine round hoods, and also like the b80's.

• Like 1

Lagersolut

My favorite model is my C-101, it was  sitting at my Dad's when I built my house years ago, he was a Simplicity guy,  ( he liked how they mowed ) offered the tractor to get me started . ( I remember the thing from new in '79 ) I put a few dollars in it and for the next 20  years this unit, hauled tons and tons of ground for the new yard , pushed snow , plowed the veggie garden,  mowed the yard ( 1 acre ) graded pads for new sheds  etc etc,...... it mowed 3 acres at Dads for 12 years before that .

Not one time,  in my 20 years using it ,  has this tractor fail me or sit in the yard broke down......it's now in the hospital being restored......

Wait, no it was one time , noticed a wobbly front wheel and had to run for bearings 5-6 years ago ....should've junked it right there :laughing-rofl:

bean

upon the wifes insistence, I have limited myself to one tractor, with a lot of attachments. that puts you the position of having one tractor that will do it all. I also wanted good fuel economy, durability, simple to work on, ground engaging, etc.

so, I bought a 310-8/ 42" rd deck in great condition. it meets every criteria on my list and has had all the power I need,

but I am on the lookout for a 312-8 in the same condition. it would be nice to be able to use a 48" deck. but, it would have to be a creampuff that has sat in a garage its entire life with 300hrs, to make me sell my beloved 310.

so, given my conditions,  I would say that the 312-8/48" deck is wheel horses best tractor. :twocents-02cents:

55rj35jr

Octfst has a 753 and I've seen it work I'd say 753 for a overall reliable tractor to get the job done...

B-100 Dan

I like the 70's B and C series from 8HP to the big 16 HP single Kohler thumpers. Just my 2 cents.

hm12460

I would call it a coin toss between a B-80 and a 312-8. Economical to own and operate, attachment interchangeability, readily available parts, compact size, etc...

OhioGregg

Not having any real experience with the older Wheel Horse models, but, have owned a 518H since 1989, and a 520H since 2006. I would say the 520H is my favorite by a wide margin.  I have used the 518 for garden work, plowing and using a disk & harrow. It handle all that extremely well. I have an old VHS video of it plowing garden. Have to see if i can get it put online in digital format.

Have not used the 520H for garden work, just mowing and snow removal. Have the 44" two stage blower for that. I must say I was very surprised how well it would handle deep snow. It makes the pretty much useless power gauge on the dash work!! I have to say LOL.

I have used it in the past for hauling fire wood from barn to house with a large trailer. No problem with power. I normally use my old 8N Ford for that kind of work. The 520 just drives so nice, smooth, etc. I love it. Hope to keep it going for years to come.

I suppose I would like to have a C series with gear transmission, if I had to pick an older model. Any model that would have been the pre- 400-500 series.

:beer:

Gregg,

953 nut

post-8798-0-22460700-1372887694_thumb.jppost-8798-0-58045300-1372887855_thumb.jpLet me think about this,  953 :wh: 

I have a dozen :wh: ( two are projects ) and the 953 is my go to tractor. I will admit that changing impaments on the later models is easier, but I keep a 48" mower on my hot rod 953 and use the unrestored one for about everything else.

:USA: 

JackC

Everyone has their favorites and best for their needs.  Wheel Horse made some of the best lawn and garden tractors ever.

I have an 876, no name 12 and 16, B's, C's, D's, 200s, 300s, 400s and 500s and If I had to get rid of all except one I would keep my 520HC.  If I could keep two they would be the 520HC and one of my C-175 hydros.  I got the bug with my dads C-175 when I mowed the lawn when I was a kid.  Now I have 4 of those babies, 3 hydros and one 8-speed.  One is like new with 280 hours on it.  It lives in a storage module but the others are all workers.

They are all keepers for now.

Wheel-N-It

Overall its the 312-8 for me. I like all the rest of them alot, but the 312-8 has plenty of power and is good on fuel. Thats important in todays "NEW" economy :soapbox: OK I'll step down off my soapbox.................

bean

it's interesting that the 312-8 and 520h have been mentioned numerous times.  one is a Cadillac with power everything, and the other is a 3/4 ton pickup.

• Like 2

Lymedog

Lets take a poll.... What's the toughest... Top 3 WH's? Only 3..... .!?!? It'll help me in quest to pick up the "Beast" of a WH!

Right now I'm looking at the C 195 & 520hc.... Would love to pick up a 520-8 or D 200.... The d250 is off the list because of the difficulty in obtaining parts and the overwhelming maintinence required. The aforementioned others need to be worked on but there is much more readily available parts.

I'm just always leary about the Hydros with no split range. I also own a Kubota GR series' "20 hp", all hydro, and all wheel drive, but my 416-8 would pull it around the yard like a toy, in low range, in a pull off!

Any suggestions?

312Hydro

I know this is a VERY loaded question, entangled with lots of loyalty and opinionated experience. However, I would like your opinion, based as much as possible on an objective opinion and real world experience- what is the most-sold, longest lasting, least trouble, ease of maintenance, yada yada, WH made? You get my point. Is there a model that just stands out as the best of WH, overall?

With no more exposure than I have had, I love my 520, but like the B-80 the most for its simplicity and rock-solid design. :thanks:

:eusa-think: Why yes ,there is! The RED ONE! Just pick the one that fits the job, you can't go wrong! :handgestures-thumbupright:

312Hydro

Lets take a poll.... What's the toughest... Top 3 WH's? Only 3..... .!?!? It'll help me in quest to pick up the "Beast" of a WH!

I'm just always leary about the Hydros with no split range.

Any suggestions?

Didn't the 522/523 5xi series have a Hi/lo (2 speed) hydro?

papaglide

I have a B 80, 416-8, and a GT 14. I love them all but I really can't tell you which one of the 3 is the best let alone alone tell you which one out of 40 years of production is the best! Yikes!

Don1977

The best Wheel Horse is the one you have in your barn that starts up and does the job you need done. I personly have a highly modified C-120 that has been getting the job done for the past 36 years.

• Like 2

bean

The best Wheel Horse is the one you have in your barn that starts up and does the job you need done.

that is true :)

my requirements for the "perfect tractor" would be:

has enough power to handle any reasonable job that you throw at it, big or small

does so with a minimum amount of fuss

bulletproof

fuel efficient

will last 50 yrs with reasonable maintenance

EASY to work on

major parts easily obtainable

that's how I came up with the 312-8. you could easily argue many others, I just happen to see a lot of 300 series in my area(for replacement parts)

I think  8spd/12hp/48" seems to be the best option, balancing power/fuel efficiency and longevity. :eusa-think:

papaglide

Bean, thats makin sense to me. I would really like to get my hands on a 300 series horse.

COMMANDO6

Hey I know the 300, 400, and 500 series seem to be popular here, as well as c series, but I've read that late 60s through mid 70s tractors were considered to be the best. Now if you look at it from a 1960s perspective, Wheel Horses were about the best you could get. Now once the horsepower started going up in later years, of course they would outshine the 6 and 8 horsepower tractors of the 60s. Also I'll stand by my Commando 6 with its techy. We've plowed snow up a 45 degree incline driveway, mowed with it, and torn up an entire lawn with it, rolled, tilled, and done everything else and it's never complained. I won't argue that the 8 is better because come on, the more horsepower the better. But I like my Techy.

My vote is for early 70s tractors, the lot of them.

bean

Also I'll stand by my Commando 6 with its techy. We've plowed snow up a 45 degree incline driveway, mowed with it, and torn up an entire lawn with it, rolled, tilled, and done everything else and it's never complained.

what type tiller do you use with your 6hp?

Wheel Horse Kid

For looks, I like the Round Hoods hands done. For power and ease of use, I would have to go with the B/C Series or 300/400/500 series. Hard to narrow it done to 1 model as all Wheel Horses are awesome machines in my opinion!!

Torino

I love the old tractors but I would have to say the best would be one of the xi series with power steering.  I have a '69 Electro, '80 C175, '88 520H and a 2000 520xi.  The xi is heavier, around a 1000lbs. Has better turning than any other WH., foot control hydro,  and you can get a diesel with power steering.  The power steering would put them over the top especially with anything out front or a loader.  Oh yea and they have a cup holder. 

tomtractor

Is it fair to ask what people's least favorite model is ?  I love my C125 converted to a C121 (Tin work change). It does a great job with anything I try. Simplicity, reliability, easy to get parts and thanks to this website fun to learn about. With out Red Square I probably would have sold and moved onto a different make of tractor.  Just out of ignorance and boredom.  I don't know enough about WH to guess what my least favorite model is - maybe the A series??  

Edited by tomtractor