Pollack Pete

Battery Prices

Pollack Pete

Gotta get another battery.(So what else is new?) Has anyone noticed how the prices of batteries has gone sky high?Unless you buy one with an anemic low CCW,it seems like every battery I've looked at is in the 50 dollar range and up.Where do you guys buy your batteries and what CCW do you use?Thanks for any and all info.

doc724

I had to buy a couple in the last 6 months.  First one I bought at Advance Auto for $45, last one was at TSC for $37.  Both were on sale.  First one was 300 CCA, last one was 340 CCA.  My batteries typically last 4 years.  Two machines get used during the winter. For the other machines, I pull the batteries and keep them in the cellar on a battery tender.

Pickle
I use the 425 CCA batteries from Advance Auto. The price has increased recently to 56.99

I ran into a lucky treat at the local Krogers grocery. Their meat cooler had failed an they were peddling ground chuck for $.050 a pound, needless to say I took all I thought I could store in my home freezer.
I now have hamburger for most of the summer! Edited by Pickle
additional comments

wrightorchid

They never seem to last very long. I get about 2 years max.

WH nut

Everything has gone sky high. Have you price ground beef lately?

• Like 1

PaulC

I purchased one 6 months to a year back from autozone for $40 not 100% on the CCA's but im pretty sure its around 300. Just purchased one last week from walmart with 330 CCA's for $30, after leaving with the battery I felt I would have had to get it for free to deal with the people at wally world but that's another topic. Unfortunately its to early to tell how long either will last but for 30 bucks I wont be to upset when its time to replace. My 312-h that I bought supposedly had a high quality battery that was 90 bucks put in right before I got it by the PO and that one now needs replacement and ive only had it for about 2 years. It has been my most used machine especially during winter and doesn't keep the gas up to the carb so its a hard starter but im still not impressed with whatever battery is in it.

I would like to think you could find something for less then 50.

Wishin4a416

I bought 2 lately. Both at tractor supply. 1 was 29 for my Dads small JD 125 and 1 was 37 for my 416.

gsummers

My last one was a couple of years ago at Battery Warehouse, was over $60.00 Don`t remember the ca right off hand. Ground beef, Ha, it`s crazy, got a pound and a half and package of buns at local butcher shop yesterday, was almost $9.00. It is excellent burgher, but still!!! 

WH nut

Don't even look at the Rib-eyes. It will make you want to start rustling lol

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Look for an interstate distributor, ask from a blem, or a old shelf stock.  I get them for $17

The only downside is sometimes the terminals are reversed which is nto a problem for my tractors, they seem to reach.

DougL3

I pull the batteries and keep them in the cellar on a battery tender.

​Absolutely the best thing you can do for longevity!

• Like 1

Pickle

131.JPG

Edited by Pickle
addition

Rob R

I purchased one 6 months to a year back from autozone for $40 not 100% on the CCA's but im pretty sure its around 300. Just purchased one last week from walmart with 330 CCA's for $30, after leaving with the battery I felt I would have had to get it for free to deal with the people at wally world but that's another topic. Unfortunately its to early to tell how long either will last but for 30 bucks I wont be to upset when its time to replace. My 312-h that I bought supposedly had a high quality battery that was 90 bucks put in right before I got it by the PO and that one now needs replacement and ive only had it for about 2 years. It has been my most used machine especially during winter and doesn't keep the gas up to the carb so its a hard starter but im still not impressed with whatever battery is in it.

​Paul if you having problems keeping the gas primed to the pump try putting an "in-line" chk valve in the line feeding the carb.... they work great and are inexpensive....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221021780029?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2

PaulC

I purchased one 6 months to a year back from autozone for
0 not 100% on the CCA's but im pretty sure its around 300. Just purchased one last week from walmart with 330 CCA's for http://www.ebay.com/itm/221021780029?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT0, after leaving with the battery I felt I would have had to get it for free to deal with the people at wally world but that's another topic. Unfortunately its to early to tell how long either will last but for 30 bucks I wont be to upset when its time to replace. My 312-h that I bought supposedly had a high quality battery that was 90 bucks put in right before I got it by the PO and that one now needs replacement and ive only had it for about 2 years. It has been my most used machine especially during winter and doesn't keep the gas up to the carb so its a hard starter but im still not impressed with whatever battery is in it.

​Paul if you having problems keeping the gas primed to the pump try putting an "in-line" chk valve in the line feeding the carb.... they work great and are inexpensive....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221021780029?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

​I actually just installed one, been meaning to for a long time, and it doesn't seem to have helped at all??:confusion-scratchheadyellow: 

wheeledhorseman

It's not just in the US guys, lead-acid automotive battery prices have climbed rapidly here in the UK as well. Apparently it has do do with supply and demand for lead. New batteries are made mainly from resmelted lead from the plates of old batteries. Improvements in battery technology and also generally warmer winters are making batteries last longer causing a shortfall in batteries needed for recycling.

There is a bonus though but I'm not sure if you can do this in the US. Most people over here simply take their old batteries along to their local household rubbish recycling center or let the dealership / garage dispose of them. The 'savy' though store them up until you have enough to be worth taking to a local salvage yard where you can 'weigh them in' for cash (so called because the cash you get is based on the weight of the batteries or whatever the recyclable metal is). The price you get at the moment is pretty good due to the shortage - every cloud has a silver lining.

I've got about 15 batteries waiting to be weighed in at the moment from tractors, cars, emergency backups etc etc. Weighing them in is better than giving them away to be recycled.

Re the gas drain back / starting issue - all that went away when I fitted an electric pump to my 316 and D-200. It's a real issue when gas has to be drawn up from the tank rather than having gravity fed assistance.

WHX??

Most places to buy batteries here require you to bring in an old one for exchange or you get charged extra.....usually 5 -10 bucks. Putting them on a battery tender definitly extends the life of them.  I think the battery manufactures don't worry too much about the quality of garden tractor batteries so you get 2- 4 years outta one ya done good.

Jake Kuhn

We have store around here called menards(similar to a lowes or home depot) I usually wait and once or twice a year they sell the exide ones for cheap. I can get 230 cca's for $16 or 350 cca's for around $25 on sale.  Not sure if any other places do sales like that, I have had one in my b80 for probably 3 years now and it is still good.

wh5208speed

I just bought 3 300CCA at sam's club for $35 each.

Thad (Ohio)

shallowwatersailor

We have store around here called menards(similar to a lowes or home depot.)

Jake, I miss Menards! In fact, went back to Chicago at Christmastime and made a stop at one. Beats HD and Lowe's.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

truckin88

49 bucks for 420cc huskee exide battery from tsx memorial day weekend for my simple tractor

AMC RULES

Everything has gone sky high. Have you price ground beef lately?

​...or pickles?   :dunno:
Just crazy money! 
  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Butch

420 cranking amps. Huskee by Exide. $50.00  Tractor Supply.

alswagg

We sell and install DEKA and Exide batteries.   I just replaced all the batteries in my herd of D's.  I used 650 cca DEKA price? Priceless to hear those big twins starting so easily 

Forest Road

My dealer gives me a break on them. Pete given the number of tractors you own you should ask if your local guy about a bulk buy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theroundhousernr

I am lucky enough to live 2 minutes away from deka. In there retail store they sell batteries that are called seconds. All seconds mean is, it has a factory blemish, strictly cosmetic. Only issue is, they cant guarantee they would be in stock, obviously. You can pick up seconds for less then half the price of retail. I bought a 350CCA for 25 bucks. They also pay you for your old batteries by weight. This price really comes in handy for marine batteries! Down fall is , new batteries "no blemishes" from Deka are gold plated and are crazy money:ychain: