Fordiesel69

K341 16HP is insane..........

Fordiesel69

Somehow got very luck to get a good one.  It must be low hours as you can still see some very minor cross hatching and very minimal piston slap.  It pulls hill with a hydro, and a 48" SD deck at full speed like there is nothing to it.  It does not compare in power however to the 16HP briggs twins, but what I have noticed is that it does not drink that much more fuel than any other big block kohlers.

Got the non shaker mount engine which is nice as it will fit wider model years.  The shaker mounts seem to be very short lived.

• Like 2

bds1984

Even though mine is a shaker, I'll take my K341 over any Briggs 16 HP twin anyday. I just rebuilt mine. Torque for days...

Fordiesel69

Nothing wrong with the shake if you are keeping the entire tractor whole.  I like the regular mount so I can swap it later like if a tranny failed or frame split in half.

bds1984

Oh I agree with you on the shaker plate setup.  I'm not a fan of it either, I actually think it rattles more, but I am keeping this tractor together as long as I can as I'm in the midst of "refreshing" her.  I've had a couple 18 HP Briggs twins in tractors over the years, but I've always felt my Kohler had more power but drank more fuel.  You think your 16 HP Briggs has more power?  Just curious...

Fordiesel69

I do.  The 16HH and 18HP briggs twins that I have feel the same.  But the fuel burn is very high.  The engines do not bog down at all, just get louder on the exhaust.  The K341 does use fuel more when paired with a hydro.  I find that the K341 has torque, but it has to fall to 3400 or 3200 and stay there.  The briggs don't fall at all. 

Now with the fuel burn, I do NOT have a twin on a hydro to compare.  8 speed vs hydro is quite a bit more load running the pumps.  This theory can be proven with a 875 vs 855 tractor.  The 8HP is just not enough to run the hydro and a mower deck.     

oaktown1987

Only kohler here Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk