Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

Snow Blower Single or two stage??

Raider12

I have been considering the idea of a snow blower to use on my 520. I really don't much about the different models available for this tractor. :D But I have read some others talk about a single stage and a two stage. How can you tell which one is which? Is there only one type made for the 520? Do the advantages of the two stage really out weigh the single stage? :hide: I need some input before I spend any money. Thanks guys

Rideawaysenior

I've got both, and find that the single stage is much better. The two stage is nice and can do a great job. I've used the two stage on the 418-8 that I have. The thing I find as a disadvantage is, that the two stage will choke up in the slush as where the single stage won't. The single stage I've got will throw water from standing puddles. Slush does not choke it up either. The thing I have noticed with the higher HP engines is that the blowers tend to eat up clutches in heavy demanding applications. I have a buddy with a 520 and when he loads the blower up, the clutch tends to slip a bit. I and he have both found that lower HP engines tend to work a bit better for the following reasons. The larger twins develop a trmendous amount of torque and when they load up under demand they tend to recover quickly. The smaller single cylinder engines will load up too however due to less torque being put out, they tend to slip on the clutch less. I've tried adjusting the clutch and I do take my time when throwing snow, but you can never escape the first cut full swath which is where I usually experience the problem with the clutch in the very heavy and wet stuff. Just my two cents and other members may have had better or the same experiences.

awd

I've had both on different tractors and each has it's pluses and minuses...

single stage: less expensive, lighter weight, mechanically simpler, can clog even in fine snow, fast spinning auger can be dangerous, works well in as little as 6" of snow

two stage: heavier, more mechanically complicated, needs more snow to really hum and keep the second stage full, more expensive, slow spinning auger is safer to operate.

Bottom line... either one works well if you take the time to learn the proper ground speed to feed the auger for the snow conditions you have.

If your tractor has a hydro it's easier to keep the auger fed. More work with a standard trans and a little harder to master.

JMO... YMMV

79ae791095.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Denver,

Since you are from NE OH you probably know about lake effect snow and may know of Chardon.

I bought my single stage from a guy in Chardon (he was selling the worser of the two singles he had) and he said they worked great - "the deeper the snow the better it works".

This will be the first winter I get to play with it (the Charger 12 was awaiting engine replacement last year) but the above comes aee high praise for the single stage.

:D :hide:

Raider12

Since you are from NE OH you probably know about lake effect snow and may know of Chardon.

Oh yea! My sister-in-law lived in Chardon for several years. Myself, I live just far enough south that I miss a large protion of the lake affect. But I get my share of the white stuff. I have a plow system on my 1 ton 4x4 that I plow with now. But I ma getting tired of getting up a 3am to plow snow and my want throw snow instead of pushing it :hide: So Im looking around to see just what do I want and what do I need. I seems as though the single stage is plenty good enough. Thanks for everyones input :D

gzx3sc

Maybe I've been doing something wrong, but I've had three single stage snow blowers and they have all bee a big joke to me. I've been running them on Raider 12s and C120s and your frankly better off with a shovel. If you want to really blow some snow, buy a Gravely with a two stage blower. You'll want at least 12 HP or you'll run out of engine.

TT

Maybe I've been doing something wrong

Apparently so. :hide:

Micah's works fine:

SnowThrower12008.jpg

And so does mine:

3108108.jpg

Jim_M

I prefer the single stage blower.

I had a 2 stage a couple of years ago and ended up selling it. It was more of a pain than it was worth. If you regularly got 14" or more of snow at a time it might be better, but that's not the case for me. I couldn't imagine using that heavy blower on anything with a manual lift.

I've had a few single stage blowers and never had a problem with any of them.