Jparkes43

HELP! At the end of my sanity with this thing

Jparkes43

Hello.

As some of you may know i am restoring my 1968 wheel horse lawn ranger and it has a 6hp tecky h60 in it.

now no matter what i try it will not run, well it ill sort of start and maybe run for a few seconds but will never stay running. i have tried adjusting the carb and using different amount of throttle and choke etc but still no luck. yes i have fresh fuel. any help is greatly appreciated. And it has a brand new spark plug, also it makes no difference if you are running and air filter or not, also after trying for a while it starts to pop and spit slightly out the carb is this something i should be worried of?

thanks

james

mels

Is it possible that it's starving for petrol?  Double-check your fuel line including the petcock at the tank and the nipple at the carb, making sure they're clear all the way through.  Aside from that, I wouldn't know where to point you towards.

Jparkes43

it is possible that there is fuel starvation. ok i will have a look and get back but im not sure if it is that

stevasaurus

I've got a couple of questions, that might point us in the right direction.
James, did you or anybody just rebuild this engine??...thinking it might be valve adjustment.  If not, it could still be valves.
Did this engine ever run since you have had it??
Do you have a Restore Thread going on here at Red Square that we could look at??
Is this a pull start or electric start??

Idle mixture and main mixture screw should be bottomed out and then backed out 1 turn...Idle speed screw should be backed out until it touches the throttle lever and then 1 more turn.  My book says..."an engine that "dies" is too lean, and a float adjustment may be needed."  :)  Do what Mels said 1st.

Edited by stevasaurus

Jparkes43

erm i'm not sure about rebuilding buy i know the person who has that engine before me. ok could be valves but im going to need help on that as its not something ive done before. yes it did run not very well a few times when i got it but then after i had taken the engine out and left it over winter and then tried to start it a few times with no luck and still now even after fiddling i cant get it to work. i do have a restoration thread but i haven't updated it in a while as i sort of forgot about it (http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/52560-1968-wheel-horse-lawn-ranger/#comment-485693)  

unfortunately this is pull start and my hands etc are feeling it. ok i did look at the factory settings but thanks anywayb and getting no hope with it but yes i will try the first idea.

james

stevasaurus

The reason I asked if it was a pull start, is because I had one...and I got tired of pulling the rope.  I would take my 857 and put the 2 tractors face to face...lining up the engine pulleys.  Figure eight a long fan belt between those pulleys and when pushed apart the running engine will turn over the Tecky...saving your arm.  :)

Do you know which kind of carb you have on your engine.   Walbro or Tollotson??

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

elliot ness

Hello James, just a thought, I had two different motor , 1- B&S and one Kohler act just the same, and it was the key on the crank shaft where the fly wheel is at and both keys were bent sooo slightly, but a new key in both and presto running fine.

• Like 1

Jparkes43

yes my arms and hands cant really take it anymore ha ha. oh thats a good idea but my other tractor is a vertical shaft not a horizontal shaft. but good idea.

erm im not sure. will it say on the carb?

Edited by Jparkes43

C-101plowerpower

do you have any other motor with a vbelt pulley on it that you can acces? might use that for cranking it over

Jparkes43

ok thanks i haven't looked at the flywheel might be a good idea.

and no koen i do not. 

also just to add there is some very very slight moisture around the bottom of the carb.

james

stevasaurus

There should be some numbers stamped in the carb...also...take some good close up pictures of the carb from different angles...we can identify it that way.  Reason...you may have to check the float adjustment.  :)

stevasaurus

Let's see if this link works...Tecumseh's Engine handbook PDF. 

TechumsehLHead.pdf

Jparkes43

ok i will take a good look and take some pictures. that will be best! ok i havent take a look at the float.

james

Jparkes43

thanks works fine 

• Like 1

wallfish

thanks works fine 

​Does that mean you got it running right?
If so, what was the issue?
Or just referring to the link working?

Edited by wallfish

Jparkes43

oh no i was replying to steve i have read the Manuals and got a few idea ha ha. no its late evening here in the uk about 9:45 pm so i have stopped for today and i am going to continue tommorow

james

wallfish

You can try squirting some fuel directly into the carb and see if it starts up. Keep the squirt bottle ready and if it starts, keep squirting fuel into it to see if you can keep it running. If you can keep it running by squirting fuel into the carb, then I would THOROUGHLY clean that carb. If the problem persist after that, just buy a $40-$50 replacement carb of ebay.
If it doesn't start by doing this, there is something deeper than just a fuel delivery issue.

• Like 3

wheeledhorseman

James

No expert on Teckies but have you tried disconnecting the engine kill wire (used to stop the engine)? It's worth a try as I had a faulty ignition switch that created a similar issue on my A-800 but remember if the engine does fire up and run you'll need to pull the lead off the plug to stop it. BTW don't be tempted to mess about with the ignition stator coils under the flywheel. Timing is factory set and not easy to get right again starting from scratch.

Andy

Jparkes43

Thanks defiantly worth a try. 

Hello Andy erm no i hasnt got a kill switch wire as of now i beleive they way it was shut down before was by choking it out. ok thanks good inforation

Jparkes43

thanks steve has some very good usefull information about carb adjustment thanks very much

james

Jparkes43

Hello, so today i took the carb off and took some good pictures for you guys, any advice on cleaning like what do i do etc

IMG_1358_zpssrsvromc.jpg

IMG_1359_zpspnurede9.jpg

IMG_1360_zpslazdci8v.jpg

IMG_1361_zpsguc0a63n.jpg

IMG_1362_zpsyhfpwuhi.jpg

IMG_1363_zpsbamxkji4.jpg

IMG_1364_zpss4ia6ohw.jpg

IMG_1365_zpsw8kjglsb.jpgimage is unclear but it reads 3589H2 i beleive

IMG_1366_zpsrb0jmzq6.jpg 40

james

• Like 1

AMC RULES
For the Tecumseh engines, you can find those cheap Chinese knock off carbs off Ebay...
about $20 US...just plug and play, and they work really good too.   
:text-woo:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC1.A0.H1.XTecumseh+h60+c.TRS0&_nkw=tecumseh+carburetor+h60&_sacat=0 Edited by Big Show or Bust.
  • Like 1

Anglo Traction

That is a Series 1 Lauson  Carb (631067a). pages 10 - about 22 in the Service Manual will show you that it is not straight forward to service them.
If you wish to go down the Refurbish route, then you will need Repair Kit part number 31840, Probably have to import from the U.S .
As I mentioned in your duplicate post on MoM , I have a Boxed  NOS brass Float you can have if you need one .
If you need someone to rebuild it for you and are not in a real hurry, I will consider it.
If you consider it to be too much hassle for you, then just get a Chinacarb as suggested.
These original Carbs are not so bad. As I have mentioned, if they are properly serviced and kept clean and tuned, they will start and run perfecly like any other make.
Your Call really.     

• Like 1

Jparkes43

thanks anglo, oh really? i did see that but i'm not sure if my float is bad or not. ok does anyone here has a refurb kit. thanks for all the part numbers. oh thanks like a proper rebuild etc, yes time doesn't really matter to me i know i need a few news seals and gaskets. i might do. but you are right of coarse. i just looked on ebay for a rebuild kit and it looks pretty good value i might consider it. but as your not to far away you having a look at it is a very kind offer.

i did decide to take apart the carb and clean it a bit and heres where i am at.

IMG_1367_zpskrjmwjtf.jpg

IMG_1368_zpsw6apt0lw.jpg

james

some people have said about blowing out the lines with an air compressor?

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 1