mike701

701 wiring won't start on push button start

mike701

Well I'm new to this site and it has been very helpful the last week while working on my 701. I've completely rewired the tractor with a new ignition switch, push button starter, points, and condenser. I have spark and can run the tractor but I can't get the push button start switch to turn the starter over. also I noticed when it was running last night that the ignition coil got really hot so I replaced it and the new one is not getting hot any longer. I've gone through the wiring 1000 times it seems like and the only thing I can think of is maybe the new starter solenoid I installed may be bad? if anyone on here could give me some advise it would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

slammer302

its hard too say without actually seeing what you have going on 

rmaynard

The original wiring diagram for a 701. Remember, the solenoid is activated by grounding the small lug through the starter switch.

701W.thumb.png.b676089912c64770b1cf4d8db

mike701

on the diagram the 4253 wire on the starter button. where would a good place be to ground that? im looking at it now and its grounded to the top of the dash but I may make a new ground and try that. thank you guys for the immediate response! cant wait to be driving this around the yard!

Edited by mike701

gwest_ca

There is a good chance your new solenoid is different than the original which had the small terminal powered internally by the battery cable. This style required a ground from the push button to complete the circuit.

The new one may be looking for power to the small terminal from the push button and grounded internally through the body of the solenoid. They will both work if wired correctly.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

gwest_ca

Take a jumper from the battery (+) terminal to the small solenoid terminal and it should engage the starter motor. This solenoid is grounded internally by the mounting bracket.

If it does power the push button from the same wire that feeds the points. Then go from the push button to small terminal on the solenoid. That way the starter won't work with the key OFF.

Garry

mike701

ok will do THANK  YOU!!:flags-waveusa:

mike701

Just an update...my 3 year old ran a tank of gas out of it running around the yard! 

• Like 1