Sign in to follow this  
Raider

Snowblower Bearings

Raider

I have the snowblower ST-376 aka by it's new part # 6-1211. I'm getting it ready for Winter and it needs some bearings replaced. All of them are worn some but a couple are especially bad. I need the bearings on both ends of the belt driven shaft, the bearing on the chain side is completely shot the other is pretty sloppy. I also need the idler sprocket assembly or just the bearing for it if it is seperately replaceable (it doesn't look like it is). I have found the part numbers and have located the parts at a couple of parts suppliers, Jacks being one of them and those are some expensive parts!! The two shaft bearings run around fifty bucks each and the idler sprocket is around twenty five. I was wondering if any of these bearings are common to other applications and available at less cost or if they are proprietary and I will be stuck shelling out the dough.

Thanks much for reading. Here's my blower, it's in decent shape but for the bearings and chain.

wh16.JPG

Kelly

My Uncle just bought the drive shaft bearings for a blower I got him, and he only paid $8 each, I think it was Tulsa warehouse that he got them from, they are china bearings :D , but for the price you can get 2 sets, I like USA stuff but dam money is money, and everything is china made, maybe even the bearings you can get for $50 :hide:

awd

Take the old bearings to a bearing and seal house and they'll identify them. Ask them to supply Timken or *** brand made in US or GB or DE bearings.

With the auger speed of a single stage thrower you'll be a lot safer and end up with a much more reliable piece of equipment.

Bearings aren't bearings and China made is NOT US made. When those Chinese bearings let go you won't believe what it will cost to fix your snow thrower... if you can get the parts.

Raider

The shaft is out but I am soaking the pully and sprocket overnight. I can't get a set screw to break loose on the pully and the sprocket won't move. The sprocket is shot too.

DSCN1119.JPG

DSCN1118.JPG

awd

I can't get a set screw to break loose on the pully and the sprocket won't move.

Lot's of PB Blaster, judicious application of heat from a simple propane torch... and PATIENCE.

CasualObserver

I second that... PB Blaster or Kroil.... keep it wet and let it do it's job. should only take a day or two.

(or you could dunk it in an electrolysis tank for about an hour (if you have one)... that would probably do it too.)

Raider

I got the shaft disassembled tonight. You can add emery cloth ribbon, a file a punch and a cold chisel to the list of needed items. The keys were stuck in the shaft. The shaft cleaned up nice, just a big pain to get apart. There is a bearing shop near here that I can check out but these things don't look universal by any means. Oh well at least if I have to cough up the money I can assume I should be good for another forty years.

Thanks for the help, I'll post back when I get her together.

Craig Arndt

I have the same model, I wound up buying the sprocket from Toro. The bearings I saw were $50, the shaft on mine has a little bend in it. Louder than bloody 'ell, but the bearings are good.

Bought a new chain at a hardware store, #40 if I remember.

Raider

I found a local dealer who had the new bearings. The new bearings have a cople of slight differences from the old ones. I don't know if it is because of a change in manufacturer or if I had the right ones to begin with or what. The difference is that the bearing on the left side of the drive shaft, which is pinned to the shaft, has it's inner race offset about a quarter inch from the old one. This in effect locates the rest of the shaft as far to the left. Everything is together loosely for now. Before I tighten it all up I have to get everything in alignment and make sure it will run true.

I'm having issues with the lift tube now. How long is the outer tube supposed to be? Mine is 43-1/2" end to end not including the flag portion. My manual lift arm will only lift the blower slightly off the ground. When I set the blower down the lift arm continues forward as the flag slides back from the tube. I have about 1-1/2" of slack. I have the flag mounted in the top hole of the lower arm of the lift bellcrank as shown in the diagrams I've seen. I wouldn't doubt if someone had cut off the lift tube at some point, that's why I'd like to double check the correct length.

Sparky

I just measured my extra lift tube ( why the heck to I have an extra one :hide: ) and its 45-1/4" long.

Mike........

Raider

Thankyou very much! That's why you have an extra, to help out another WH guy :hide:

I should have no trouble making mine longer again. I think I solved the bearing problem too (in my head). I am going to try and mount the bearing on the inside of the housing which should make up for the offset of the new bearing. We'll see tomorrow, at least now I can sleep better tonight.

Raider

Everything worked out like I wanted. Moving the bearing lined everything back up. I was concerned there might not be clearance for the chain but there is plenty of room. I lengthened the lift tube by welding on a piece of pipe the same diameter and wall thickness and cut the whole thing down to the proper length. After cleaning it up with a flap disk the tube looks like it was never repaired. While I was at it I added a tab to the flag portion of the lift tube assembly for a lift assist spring. I hooked a stout spring from an eyebolt in the new tab to the foot rest rod. The assist actually helps quite a bit in lifting the blower off the ground but runs out of strength towards the top of travel as the spring flattens out. Some kind of gas shock might give me a more linear lift. Something to play with when I'm bored I guess...

For now I'm finished with the blower rehabilitation. I ran it dry to make sure it all worked with no belts jumping or shafts binding. I'm a little surprised at how fast it turns. This whirling, gnashing machine has got to be one of the most dangerous impliments I own. But it runs nice and I can't wait to try it in the snow. We got over 100 inches last Winter, I hope we get even more this time.

KyBlue

Glad ya got it fixed!!! nothing worth having comes easy, and sometimes, we have to jump thru a few hoops to get where we need to be and get everything back up and running as it should!

Sparky

I'm a little surprised at how fast it turns. This whirling, gnashing machine has got to be one of the most dangerous impliments I own. But it runs nice and I can't wait to try it in the snow. We got over 100 inches last Winter, I hope we get even more this time.

I hear ya. I was shocked the first time I saw my single stage blower at full RPM's :D ! Dont lean over it wearing a tie or you'll lose yer head :hide: .

Mike.......

KyBlue

I hear ya. I was shocked the first time I saw my single stage blower at full RPM's :D ! Dont lean over it wearing a tie or you'll lose yer head :hide: .

Mike.......

Worse than what that paper shredded did to Whoopi's dress in that movie..

Raider

I ran the blower this morning. We got two to three inches of snow last night. It wasn't enough to really feed the auger but I wanted to try it. I did the driveway in third gear :hide: All my neighbors were watching me too. It took all of a couple of minutes to do the whole driveway. I have to make an adjustment to the lift tube, it's a tad too long and the blower lifts over low areas. I also set up the tractor with a set of the older Carlisle tires that look like snow tires on 6" wheels and made a pair of concrete wheel weights that go 50-60lbs each. I only spun a tire once. I might not even need to put my chains on. I had a guy make them for me, 2 link alternating v-bar every other cross chain. They might come in handy when the snow gets deep and I get the blower out to build our bobsled run in the back yards.

I appreciate all the insight and comments encouraging me to get rig running. I'll try and get a picture of it soon.

HorseFixer

Good Job Raider glad ya got it going! :D Now you can have fun! Ill be thinking of ya when yer riding and Im walking behind my Toro 7-26 with briggs 8 hp upgrade :hide: <<< freezin my azz off! :hide:

Raider

wh35.JPG

Here it is set up. The chains are hanging in the background.

Duff

That is one GNARLY set of wheel weights! How many # each?

(Also like the old Evinrude in the background - nice motor!)

EDIT: I found the weights in an earlier post. Cool!

Duff :hide:

Raider

I poured those weights inside of the wider wheels that were originally on the tractor. I of course lined the wheels with plastic to protect them and a layer of cardboard so there is a bit of space around the weights. They fit inside the deeper wheels and only protrude a couple inches so they don't look so huge. I'd like to find a good deal on iron weights but it seems they are all too expensive for me.

One of my other obsessions is boats. I am always buying, selling and trading boats and motors. (That Evinrude is for sale BTW) I have more than a handful of outboards at any given time. These tractors have been competing for my boat-time but as long as I can't drive on the water or fish with the tractors the boats are safe.

Duff

One of my other obsessions is boats. I am always buying, selling and trading boats and motors. (That Evinrude is for sale BTW) I have more than a handful of outboards at any given time. These tractors have been competing for my boat-time but as long as I can't drive on the water or fish with the tractors the boats are safe.

With you on the love of boats, and as to the competition thing.....

:D:hide::omg:

Duff :hide: