Brian01

Coil for 10hp Tecumseh

Brian01

Hey guys, I have a 1970 model WH Raider 10, with Tecumseh 10hp engine, have no spark. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could get one pretty reasonable? All the ones I have found are $199.99 and up.

Brian01

Anyone?

tbarnhart

I assume you are talking about the Tecumseh SSI unit. Quite often the stator coil under the flywheel is fine, but the coil/ignition unit is bad. I don't know of any cheap options out there, but there are some options to keep that great engine alive. Probably the cheapest is to convert it to a battery powered ignition using a system developed by Ed Stoller (enginesandmagnets.com). Another option is http://overnight-solutions.com/index_files/Page391.htm. Or, keep looking for a useable oe unit that still works. Their have been a few people that have claimed to repair them, but I'm not sure what would be involved. I've got that system on my C-160 and I'm hoping mine doesn't give any trouble.  It runs great now.

Brian01

A friend and I was just talking yesterday about being able to build something like that, to make a regular coil work on it. I'd really like to keep it all original, but at $200 for a new one. I'm beginning to think otherwise. lol

Brian01

Was hoping that a fellow enthusiast had a spair coil lying around, that he/she would sale or trade reasonably.

Brian01

Still no luck finding one yet!

Brian01

No one has one they'd sale or trade? If its far off, I wouldn't care to pay shipping, if its priced right

tbarnhart

Did you ever find anything to keep your Tecumseh alive? Just yesterday, my tractor died as if I had turned off the key. Yup, no spark. Quickly checked the charge coil under the flywheel and it was working. The aluminum module/coil assy wasn't working. Figuring we had nothing to lose, we carefully peeled the epoxy material out of the back. After testing, we found a bad diode and were able to solder in a replacement. We sealed it back up with silicone and it works. I don't know how long it will hang in there, but I'm putting it to work tomorrow.

Brian01

Nope, sold the tractor