aaubrey96

Possible hydro to 8-speed swap?

aaubrey96

I found a 518-h on Craigslist the other day. Says it runs but doesn't move. He wants $50 or best offer and and its 2 hours from me and he claims there are 2 parts tractors but the picture shows misc. parts from a 310 laying in the bushes and if have to take it all. Right now, I'm thinking worst case scenario I have an 8-speed rear end sitting outback so it the hydro is shot, is it possible to swap them?IMG%7Boption%7Dhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/04/aa12578e5f39b963446b64fe4f4bed51.jpg%7Boption%7Dhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/04/e471634a9a2a43b708f296acfcfac107.jpg] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaubrey96

My bad. Since the other day he changed it from 50 to $250. Must have been a typo the first time. You guys think it'd be worth it? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slammer302

if you have a parts tractor with all the small bits and pieces i think it would be possible 250$ if it runs great and looks to been WELL cared for not a bad price

Racinbob

That sounds pretty fair to me. Who knows, maybe the transmission issue is minor. Converting to an 8 speed would be a pretty straight forward project. The more parts a pieces you have from the 8 speed the better. Don't just think brake/clutch linkages, etc. There's many other parts like some sheet metal, etc. that would be needed to do a clean conversion. Funny, the idea of converting a 500 series has been on my mind lately. A 500 with a K-series 16 and 8 speed would be cool. Not that there's anything wrong with the 500's as they are but my mind sometimes takes me to strange places :wacko:

Racinbob

By the way:  :WRS:

Fordiesel69

The eaton 1100 will be just fine.  Im sure it is just out of oil.  We all know how they leak sometimes.

• Like 1

buckrancher

518 should have a eaton 700

bmsgaffer

Like Brian said,. the 518 is an Eaton 700 transmission which it not easy to salvage (nor worth it to many). But since the 518 will have all the manual implement lift parts i dont think it would be hard to make it an 8 speed. Pulley swap on engine (unless you want it to go REAL fast), transmission swap, remove motion control linkages, put in plate for shifter... maybe a few more things but not a bad swap.

aaubrey96

Ok. Thanks for the information. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaubrey96

I'm not sure what happened with the tapatalk app on my phone. I am aaubrey96 here on redsquare but the app must have looked me out somehow. I'll have to figure this out somehow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaubrey96

I'm not sure what happened with the tapatalk app on my phone. I am aaubrey96 here on redsquare but the app must have looked me out somehow. I'll have to figure this out somehow. Well I was aaubrey96 but I can't figure any of it out so I think I'm aaubrey96 again but I still can't figure out where my old account went. Hmmm Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordiesel69

Low hour, oil changed often eaton 700's aren;t as bad as people make them out to be.  However finding those two criteria's are hard.  You can almost bet any money NOBODY changes the oil properly.  Heck I don't on my hydros.  100hrs? are they nuts with todays oil technology?

bmsgaffer

Low hour, oil changed often eaton 700's aren;t as bad as people make them out to be.  However finding those two criteria's are hard.  You can almost bet any money NOBODY changes the oil properly.  Heck I don't on my hydros.  100hrs? are they nuts with todays oil technology?

The 700s are 'sealed' units I thought. No reasonable way to change oil and they never wanted you to.

Edited by bmsgaffer

Fordiesel69

I think you have to pump the oil fluid out and do it kinda like a car.  Metal contamination in the oil is what grinds these out. 

Fordiesel69

Nevermind the gibberish advice.  I remeber the one I serviced had a plug tapped in it.  Someone must have added it.  It was not a sundstrand, nor a 1100 because it had no filter.

squonk

I change the oil  & filter on my Sunstrand every June after the show regardless of hours. I use Mobil 1 10-40. Overkill perhaps but I want this thing to run as long as it can

• Like 3