dgerwig

Fuel pump conumdrum

dgerwig

Gentlemen,

My C-175 has got a fuel pump issue. If I remove the pump, and cycle the pump lever by hand, my fuel filter fills up nicely. Put the rascal back on the engine, crank her up and it won't even begin to fill the filter. BTW, I've replaced the pump. Same old, same old. When I look in the pump opening in the side of the KT-17, the fuel pump eccentric is rotating. I am well and truly puzzled by this one!!!

Cheers

David

rmaynard

The fuel pump lever need to be on the correct side of the cam. I'm not sure if it goes on top or underneath. Some models will allow the pump to be installed incorrectly.

• Like 1

dgerwig

I think you might have hit it! I can't wait to take the pump off and see if that is the case. It certainly could happen since the pump lever already has a downward bend in it. Thanks for your response.

tunahead72

I see you've actually been here a while, but let me be the first to welcome you to RedSquare! :WRS:

I just drove through your section of Virginia yesterday, crossed over Rte. 55 to Strasburg, and then up I-81.  Nasty weather, eh?

Catmanii

I replaced the fuel pump on my C175 with one of the low pressure pumps on ebay and couldn't be happier. The mechanical pump was working, but after sitting for a few days would take to long to pump the gas from the rear tank. It is not supposed to drain back to the tank, but did. I mounted the pump in the space in the middle of the tank so it could not be seen. Starts pumping when switch is turned on and tractor starts in about two turns. They only cost 13 or 14 dollars and so far is working well. I love it.

dgerwig

Thanks for your responses. I am following Catmanii's lead and have ordered n electric fuel pump. Great Idea!! My original pump is now working but I have had troubles and long cranking in the past. It "runs" now BUT only with full choke. I'm thinking that maybe the replacement pump is not giving enough gas. Thoughts?

• Like 1

953 nut
Could be the pump, but I would check the carburetor adjustments and float level, if it needs to be choked it is starving for fuel.