Fordiesel69

K341 16HP - 12 fin vs 13 fin

Fordiesel69

Finally scored one one of these after years of looking.  What are the differences between these?  What is so much better about the 13?

squonk

I believe the block has a bit more meat in it for boring and other mods.

Fordiesel69

So from a stock standpoint, one will not be more powerful / cool better?  Only if modding?

This one runs too nice to even crack it open.

pacer

So, is this 12/13 fin thing on the block? Doesnt seem y'all are talking about the head? Was this a year related thing, like an older year was one way - 12 fin - and later yrs were 13?

I've got a "official" replacement Kohler 16 in my D-160 and I do like that engine!

Then a couple weeks ago I scored a gloat worthy complete K341down to the wiring still attached for $100. Yesterday I got it running (no spark - apparently condenser) and danged if that thing dont sound GOOD. I'll have to look into this fin thing.

groundhog47

Here's an excerpt from one of the engine builder guys: The 12 and 13 fin 16hp Kohler blocks -

• finblock.jpgThe 12 fin Kohler K-series and Magnum engine block models K341/M16 (16hp) have an indentation in the cooling fins (clearance for a straight oil fill/dipstick tube) and a threaded hole towards the bottom of the cylinder. This block have a thinner cylinder wall than the 13 fin block. This block is most common, and used mainly for light duty lawn and garden equipment applications, and can be safely bored up to a 3.825" [pulling] piston without danger of seriously weakening the integrity of the cylinder wall.
  • But the 13 fin Kohler engine block model K341 (16hp) have a thicker cylinder wall. This block is somewhat rare, and used mainly for heavy duty industrial applications and can be bored for a much bigger [pulling] piston, up to 4-1/8". Both blocks originally have a STD cylinder bore of 3.750
  • Like 5

Fordiesel69

I guess I should just be happy I have a good runner and not worry about the fins then.  I now own every size from 8HP to 16HP.  Did I ever mention that these kohlers are my favorite?

roadapples

some good info. here, thanks groundhog. I have one each of the 16`s and a 13 fin K321? the plot thickens!

• Excellent 1